DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Artist & Member Forum > User Reviews
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

User Reviews Drop in & Check out 'real world' user reviews on some top pro-audio gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th November 2008 , 09:55 PM
Sound Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boulden View Post
Sounds more like it's a preamp worth having to cover problem or unusual microphones and difficult miking scenarios more than as a "goto" preamp.
That's an excellent way to put it.

As an addendum:

This is by no means an "amateur" unit - it will do just fine in all sorts of scenarios anyway, and is a huge step up from most inbuilt interface preamps. Again, it's just doesn't have the sex-factor that you get from some other options. If one can't make good recordings with this it will definitely be case of a lack of talent rather than a lack of tools. It's just that there are certainly more "exciting" options available, but maybe none that have this specific, and very handy, feature set which do make it a bit of a Swiss Army knife in the front-end toolkit.

I should have mentioned as well - despite all my griping about the cost of the ADC board, the quality of the conversion is actually very good indeed. Good definition across the spectrum, no unwanted smearing/artifacts or anything like that, at least not in our (unscientific testing.) Although I haven't piled 100 tracks yet with it, I think it's a solid design.
whitecat is offline Offline
Old 11th May 2010 , 12:19 AM

I was thinking about purchasing a ISA One, but wasn't overly sure if the 600 price tag would be worth it combined with any of the mics i own (57, E906, E902). BUT since it has both a DI and a Mic channel that can run at the same time, it means when i'm doing a session with a GREAT guitar set up, i could DI it for future Reamping if it needs it, and have a brilliant sounding mic channel signal?

In your opinions would it be worth me investing this kind of money, or should i buy a sm7b, save the change and then buy a ISA one?
Towifer is offline Offline
Old 11th May 2010 , 08:31 AM
Sound Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towifer View Post
I was thinking about purchasing a ISA One, but wasn't overly sure if the 600 price tag would be worth it combined with any of the mics i own (57, E906, E902). BUT since it has both a DI and a Mic channel that can run at the same time, it means when i'm doing a session with a GREAT guitar set up, i could DI it for future Reamping if it needs it, and have a brilliant sounding mic channel signal?

In your opinions would it be worth me investing this kind of money, or should i buy a sm7b, save the change and then buy a ISA one?
The price on the ISA One has recently come down quite a bit. I think it's only 399 now. The A/D board can be had at the same time for 549 which all in all is a pretty good deal (but do you need it, I suppose is the question?)

http://www.dv247.com/search/0/0/Prod...ing/isa+one/1/

As I mentioned before, the DI is truly great in this box so it will definitely do the job for you...

That said, everyone should have an SM7b too.
Old 11th May 2010 , 09:12 AM

Thanks for the info man!
I'm going into my local music store today, got a few things to check out, the ISA one been top of my list at the moment
Towifer is offline Offline
Old 11th May 2010 , 06:07 PM

Default Mic cord set up

I was told while using my ISA one and my Digidesign Digi 002 rack for vocals, to run an XLR to 1/4" from the ISA one main out to the 5th 1/4" input in the Digi 002 rack.

Should I plug into input 1 with XLR or does the preamp for that input interfere with the ISA one?

Thanks for any input.
alake85 is offline Offline
Old 11th May 2010 , 06:10 PM
Mic Check 1!

You shouldnt go into input 1 on your digi unit as that is adding an extra gain stage which will degrade the sound. Go line into channel 5 as previously advised.
Old 20th May 2010 , 02:07 PM

Default Thanks

Thank you for all the good info on this forum. I am using a digi rack 002, a neumann tlm 49, and the isa one pre. I plug in guitars of course and have a few sm57s and 58s as well as an audix drum mic kit.

Anyone have any good suggestions on gear or plug ins that might be a nice add on to this set up?

Thanks again,

Andy
alake85 is offline Offline
Old 20th May 2010 , 05:18 PM
Mic Check 1!

sounds like a good starting point. Decent monityors? room treatment? Probably wants its own thread though.
Old 14th July 2012 , 04:14 AM

Default OSA one + akg 414

Hey man thanks for the review.

I thought I'd share my experience with my isa one and maybe it will help someone else.

I have a projectmix io as my interface which annoyingly doesn't have a pad on the inputs. Mix that with the fact that the isa one doesn't have an outPut volume control it means the Main out of the isa one is too hot for the ins. It is impossible to not clip. Even pushing main out to balanced line in (without the gain boost on the mic input).

To correct this, I go from the headphone out on the Isa one to a line input. However, doing this without still plugging in the output on the isa one into a mic input created an unusable amount of noise. I'm sure this is simply my inexperience, however with this all hooked up it sounds clean and amazingly quiet.

I should mention that I have a DBX compresser / de-Esser / gate -expander plugged into the insert of the isa one. The DBX 286s specifically.

This combo is fantastic for me and my ear.

For the price, the Isa one is just awesome!

Hope this helps someone else
Jasonxoc is offline Offline