DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Artist & Member Forum > User Reviews
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

User Reviews Drop in & Check out 'real world' user reviews on some top pro-audio gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th March 2009 , 03:16 PM

Default EastWest Play v1.20, Full orchestra on one computer?

Hi All

EastWest have released a significant update to its Play engine, including multi-threaded streaming. This makes for more efficient instrument usage.

I wanted to test this and see if we could finally expect to use a ďfull orchestra in a single computerĒ.

First of all, my system specs:
Mac Pro 2 x 2.66Ghz (quad core)
12 Gb RAM
Logic 8.02
Symphonic Orchestra Platinum Plus

I have created an example project, which consists of

5 instances of Play for strings (with the full Master Key Switch for 18 Violins, 11 Violins, 10 Violas, 10 Cellos and 9 Double Basses)

4 instances of Play for brass (with the full Master Key Switch for 4 Trumpets, 4 Trombones, 6 French Horns and Solo Tuba)

4 instances of Play for woodwind (with the full Master Key Switch for 3 Flutes, 3 Clarinets, 3 Oboes and Solo Bassoon)

Plus one instance of Kontakt 3 to play the Percussion (True Strike).

I have placed a four bar melody on each track, including a Key Switch at the beginning of each bar. So there are four different articulations played for each of the thirteen instruments (and some timpani / cymbal on the True Strike track). I have deliberately made the Key Switches at the same point on each track so that all thirteen instruments are switching at the same time Ė not realistic but will certainly help see how the new Play engine handles it all.

My latency is 256 samples at 44.1 KHz (about 6ms).

Results? Worked perfectly! Uses about 2.8 Gb of RAM. Processor usage as shown in Activity Monitor is 58% Ė 82% (which of course is less than one of my four cores) although looking at the System Performance window within Logic I would guess that between one and two of the four cores are being used. Still Iím very happy with that.

The best news (for Logic users) is that Logicís memory usage is sitting at 1Gb Ė nowhere near the dreaded 3.5Gb when Logic runs of out memory.

Ok, I know that the Master KS programs for the EastWest Symphonic Orchestra donít contain ALL the articulations, but they contain MOST of them.

So my conclusion (so far) is that on quad core Mac Pro (which is becoming a modest machine by todayís standards), the new Play update allows a full orchestral implementation, and with both memory and CPU to spare. I should also point at that this test was with the 24 bit samples, not the 16 bit samples.

Just thought this might be of interest!
tyronehowe is offline Offline
Old 11th March 2009 , 10:10 AM
Costa Del Cool

Nice work Tyrone.

12GB RAM? It must be a beast of a machine. Do you ever use it all?
You said Logicís memory usage is sitting at 1Gb. A new Mac Pro with 6GB should be more than capable of running what you have set up for the test, right?
Old 11th March 2009 , 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelan View Post
Nice work Tyrone.

12GB RAM? It must be a beast of a machine. Do you ever use it all?
You said Logicís memory usage is sitting at 1Gb. A new Mac Pro with 6GB should be more than capable of running what you have set up for the test, right?
Thanks.

Itís a good machine, 2 years old. Of course, now I really wish Iíd bought the 8 core instead (although that line of thinking never ends, thereís always something better). Seems these days that I am running into processor bottlenecks more than memory bottlenecks - but that could just be because I tend to have a couple of Omnisphereís in most things!

Sounds to me that a new Mac Pro with 6Gb should work well. Have you purchased the new Mac Pro yet? If not, then buy the minimum memory from Apple and purchase extra from Crucial.

I have managed to run the same test with both the stage and surround samples loaded, with full master KS. My processor usage is very near the top but it does run.
Old 11th March 2009 , 10:39 AM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronehowe View Post

Sounds to me that a new Mac Pro with 6Gb should work well. Have you purchased the new Mac Pro yet? If not, then buy the minimum memory from Apple and purchase extra from Crucial.
Not yet. The plan is to get it in a fortnight. And yes, everyone here has advised the say to get basic memory and source more from Crucial. Cheers!
Old 11th March 2009 , 11:10 AM
Administrator

Nice work Tyrone.. I've moved this thread into the User Review Forum as I think it warrants inclusion there, more than just a news update..
Old 11th March 2009 , 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelan View Post
Not yet. The plan is to get it in a fortnight. And yes, everyone here has advised the say to get basic memory and source more from Crucial. Cheers!
Ah good! ‬

I really don't understand how ‬Apple continue to sell memory at such high prices. I guess the answer must be because some people keep buying it!

Ö and buy the octo-core! Because if you donít Ö youíll soon wish you had!

Quote:
Originally Posted by modz1 View Post
Nice work Tyrone.. I've moved this thread into the User Review Forum as I think it warrants inclusion there, more than just a news update..
Thanks modz1. I didnít really know where to put it. I considered the Logic part for a while but though that PC users may like to see what can be done in one box.