DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Artist & Member Forum > User Reviews
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

User Reviews Drop in & Check out 'real world' user reviews on some top pro-audio gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th December 2008 , 02:37 PM
Forum Poet

Default Evolve by Heavyocity

This will be an ongoing review in the stylee of gearwire

So let's see what's in the box:

Comes in a box - the traditional cardboard type that holds a.........
CD case, which has 'Volume 1' written in top corner and inside it contains....
2 discs - named, appropriately, disc 1 of 2 and disc 2 of 2.

I'm entering the next generation of virtual instruments. That's me all over. I'm cutting edge. I'm street. I'm keepin' it real.

There's 600+ beat-sliced loops. 75+modern percussion instruments. 250+ evocative tonal instruments. 3 custom scripted interfaces. 6GBs containing 3,900+ bit samples. No idea what it all means but I'm not afraid to wade in and find out.

All this will accentuate my greatness, apparently. I know, it seems impossible but that's what it says. It's a powerful combination of diverse percussion, massive strings/transitions and evocative tonalities. That could mean absolutely anything so we'll wait and see.
Old 10th December 2008 , 02:43 PM
Forum Idol

all that and no furry chip munk to run around your computer?!? phooooewy
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 11th December 2008 , 12:11 PM
Forum Scribe

Heavyocity review. Nice.

Monarch is offline Offline
Old 7th January 2009 , 11:21 AM
Forum Poet

So, you load disc one and it has a set up icon and you can place the samples in a drive of your choice. The programme uses the Kontakt player so that is placed on your programme (normally C:/) drive

The second disc doesn't load the same. You have to move the samples.

I found moving the samples within the sample drive ie different folders etc a bit of a problem. Although it can search for them and it gives ways to correct any problems you may have (in the pdf manual) if you move samples, I found it didn't work as a permanent fix. As this could be user error and the samples can still be located via search in Kontakt, it's not a huge problem. It would be a question of fixing the address path. Anyway, I re-loaded and left them in the original folders. Problem solved.

There is an update and additional content you can upload and you should read the 'read me' document as it tells you what to do. It doesn't automatically overwrite stuff so bear that in mind.

The sounds are set up for an 88 key controller and each preset has a lot of samples or hits to many keys on the controller. It doesn't seem a massive amount until you start going through it and then it appears neverending. I do suspect the additional content though was because some sample libraries nowadays are enormous and you have to compete and justify the price.

This programme is an addition to your sample sets and not the first you buy. It assumes you have other more basic sounds.

The sounds are film trailer/american tv inspired sounds. It's all atmosphere and scene setting stuff. Listen to any trailer or CSI on the tv and you get the idea. Someone always seems to be dropping a metal bar in the distance and there is plenty of those type sounds. Lots of rising sounds and ghostly echoes. The sound demos on the site are a good guide. The sounds have been created in a way that means you don't have to do much. The parameters can be altered and there are effects to add to. They are not really sounds that you want to overly alter but you can if you wish.

The presets are set up as groups of sound types under 'instruments' and also there is collections of 'genres/style/mood' in 'multi' which will load a lot samples at once that you may help you as to samples that naturally compliment each other. You can save your own set ups. The whole library compliments each other which is a good thing. There are loops, seq, arp, pads, tonals etc. They are not your basic sound as stated so you would need another programme for that.

As I haven't really used samples and these type of players I'm still seeing what it can handle and what you can load and how to use it properly. Different midi and stereo channels and all that are new to me. Why can you mute some things and others just stop? I also don't know how to use other programmes alongside it using the same controller. That'll come in time. I would imagine most users of this programme are experienced.

Anyway, one thing that's as good as any pros is my ears. The sounds are top drawer if that's the type/niche sound you are looking for. I'll see how it goes and learn some more and I'll see what can be worked into 'normal' music although that's not its target buyer.
Last edited by I_Am_Bic_Pentameter; 7th January 2009 at 11:23 AM. . <
Old 7th January 2009 , 01:41 PM
Costa Del Cool

+1 IABP...have been looking forward to this!