DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Artist & Member Forum > User Reviews
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

User Reviews Drop in & Check out 'real world' user reviews on some top pro-audio gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd December 2008 , 12:47 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Am_Bic_Pentameter View Post
Just a point on the pdf - is it just the help pages or an actual pdf and where is it - can't say I've ever seen it as a pdf file?
For some reason it appears Cakewalk do not auto install the Sonar 8 PDF. I think this was also the case with Sonar 7 and even previous versions IIRC. Not 100% sure though.

In any case pop the Sonar installation DVD into your DVD drive and navigate to Documentation > Sonar 8 Reference guide.

It appears to be smaller than the V.7 reference guide. Unless I am missing something...that is a bit strange. They might have added more detail to their online help files instead.

Monarch is offline Offline
Old 6th December 2008 , 10:58 AM
Forum Scribe

Default Beatscape Part 4

Beatscape Part 4

The Loop Editor

Beatscapes Loop editor offers almost microscopic control of slices. Audio slices are automatically mapped to MIDI notes giving you the freedom to play them any way you want. A key aspect I was looking for in Beatscape was re- arrangment of slices and Beatscape delivers here.

Just click and drag a slice to a new location. You can create stutter effects quite easily this way. Slices can also be reversed so the creative possibilities are very wide here even if you just work in Beatscapes Loop Editor, talk less of how you can combine the features here with other aspects of Beatscape. Excellent.

Audio imported into Beatscape will be sliced with visible "slice points" as Cakewalk describe them. The slice points move further apart to slow the material loaded on the pad down or closer together to speed up any audio loop on a pad. It really does produce excellent results when changing tempos...all in realtime.

Managing Markers

Slice markers are easily dragged and used to move a slice within the Loop editor. In use it is actually very well implemented. You really do not have to fiddle about with a tiny hitpoint. It's a simple thing to move slices around. Quite pleased with that. Re arranging slices on the fly is something I would like to do quite often so I need this process to be as quick and easy as possible. In Beatscape it is.

Should you wish to (I have not needed to yet) you can even create or remove makers manually in Beatscapes Loop Editor. Simply click on the Sample Edit button (right of the loop Editor) and choose the Add Marker or the Remove Marker command. You can also find the following commands by clicking on the Slice Edit button... Silence, Reverse, Fade in, Fade out, Normalise and Revert Edits. I will discuss those commands next...

More slice manipulation.

This is another seriously creative addition...I love the fact that slices can also be silenced. Why is that important to me? Well if I have added a loop to a pad and I like the Kick but it has perhaps one to many hits in the loop...I can simply silence the slice I dont want to hear.

Maybe a drum loop has a snare part I want to remove, again I simply silence it. It avoids the necessity to always drag a loop that has either snare, Kick or Hi hat only parts to it. The ability to silence a single slice (or more) means you can just drag any drum loop over to a pad and just get on with being creative. The way it should be.

You can also fade slices in and out, normalize and even reverse a slice. It just depends how much time you have on your hands to totally mangle a loop up beyond recognition, heh. The Revert Edits command will undo any changes you have made. Beatscapes really does provide a totally new dimension to Sonar. Cyclone is quite similar but Beatscape offers yet another unique creative take on Music Production in Sonar.

Last edited by Monarch; 6th December 2008 at 01:18 PM. . <
Old 6th December 2008 , 01:18 PM
Forum Scribe

Default Beatscape Part 5

Beatscape Part 5

The Keyboard

I really love the simplicity of Beatscapes keyboard.

With instruments like Beastscape the way you interact with it is every bit as important as the features it offers. It does not matter IMO how good a feature or set of features are, if the presentation is poor the user experience will suffer accordingly. While I appreciate it is not an easy balance to strike, it is a critical design goal to achieve, to really maximise a users first impression. The result of that initial impression will very likely determine if a user comes back for more or looks elsewhere.

Thankfully Cakewalk got it just right IMO.

Clicking on any pad in Beatscape will result in the slices for that pad being visible on the keyboard. The highlighting is easy to make out on the keys and the keyboard is nicely sized.

The right side shows the Midi notes that can be used to trigger any of the 16 pads under a PAD TRIGGERS heading. To the right of that is the SLICE TRIGGERS area where the selected pads individual slices can be triggered any way you want.

In case you are wondering what the button next to the Keyboard button is for that button is for Beatscapes rather comprehensive StepGenerator section, more on that in Beatscape Part 6.

When you hit a key on your keyboard you will immediately see visual feedback on the screen as the corresponding key on Beastscapes keyboard will appear pressed which is a nice touch. You can even click the keys with your mouse to record a performance should you wish to.

This is definitely worth a mention as well...each pads name will appear in Sonars Piano Roll. Pretty cool. So you can have the keys in the Piano roll replaced by the names of the files loaded into each Beatscape pad.

I defintely think the keyboard is an improvement on Cyclones. I just find it easier to use and navigate.

Last edited by Monarch; 7th December 2008 at 11:04 AM. . <
Old 6th December 2008 , 01:44 PM
Forum Scribe

Default Beatscape Part 6

Beatscape Part 6

The Step Generator

Well just when you think there is not much else to mangle a loop with in Beatscape...a step generator appears!

Let me explain...Cakewalk describe it as a "modulation source" with "5 independent step based modulators" and compare it to the Step Generator feature in Cakewalks Rapture synth (IIRC Rapture has at least 6 Step Generators, one for each element). I can see why Cakewalk make the comparision, Beatscapes included Step Generator is very similar in terms of ease of use and how dramatic or subtle the effect it can have on audio material. It is great to see that kind of modulation feature in something like Beatscape.

It really takes the sound manipulation options off the scale. Realistically you would have to be quite selective in terms of how far you creatively manipulate audio in Beatscape but then again maybe not when you are having this much fun...

Each pad has its own Step Generator so with 16 pads available there are a staggering 16 Step Generators to play with in Beatscape! Each of those 16 Step generators have 5 parameters you can modulate...

1. Filter Cut Off
2. Filter Resonance
3. Pan
4. Pitch
5. Volume

These parameters can be accessed from the menu area dirtectly under the STEP EDIT button. First click on the Step Generator button (next to the keyboard button) to flip the view from the keyboard to the Step Generator view. A button will now be visible under the Step Generator button with a default (Pan) Parameter visible. A simple right click on this button will show the 5 parameters listed above. Or just click on the text (Pan) to change to another parameter.

Using Beatscapes Step Generators on Loops and slices can really let them breathe and have movement. It is quite remarkable just how far you can go with sounds without ever stepping into Sonar's arrange view for further sound manipulation options.

No need to be too clinical when using Beatscapes Step Generator, even a simple drag across the STEP EDIT screen (holding shift creates a straight line) can get the ball rolling. Of course more detailed editing can be done.

Parameter values can also snap. A selection of snap values can be found on the STEP EDIT Menu. As if that was not enough choice (>phew<) for audio manipulation you can also find the following commands on the Step Edit button Menu...Reverse, Mirror, Normalise and even Invert Step Levels are present. Shift Steps Left or Shift Steps Right, Copy and Paste commands are here as well. A comprehensive list.

Last edited by Monarch; 6th December 2008 at 01:47 PM. . <
Old 6th December 2008 , 02:11 PM
Forum Scribe

Default Beatscape Part 7

Beatscape Part 7

The Browser

This is where Cyclone and Beatscape differ in a big way. Even though you can audition loops in Cyclone you cannot audition any Wav file in its browser in sync with your hosts tempo. It has to be an ACIDized loop first, for that to happen in Cyclone. You can however load a loop that is neither ACIDised or Rex and Beatscape will still audition the loop in perfect synch with your projects tempo.

Audition

You audition loops in Beatscapes browser by clicking on a Loop name in the browser and holding down the ALT button. It is incredibly cool when in use. Tempo syncing loops like this reminds me of Ableton Live. But to have this kind of flexibility in a host as powerful as Sonar with any wav file is simply fantastic. I always felt constrained to ACID loops with Cyclone, now any loop is fair game in Beatscape. The audition will not loop, it will only play once, which I think makes sense as I would know pretty quickly if a loop does not fit. In any case I only need to hold down the ALT button again to audition the loop a second time.

Sonar's Loop explorer does allow one to audition loops at project tempo and you can browse to any location on your hard drive to find material but...it has to be an acidised file or playback will not sync to project tempo. So pre Sonar 8, there was a heavy bias towards ACID loops although IIRC Sonars Dropzone and RXP instruments do play Rex files.

Loading process

I prefer to drag loops to pads personally. I just find it intuitive, but you can also double click a loop in Beatscapes browser to load to a pad. If you use the double click method the loop or sample will load to the currently selected pad. Beatscape supports wav, rex or rx2 files up to 64 beats. Thankfully there is a simple Refresh button in the browser as well.

You can save the state of each pad in a Beatscape Program. As in complete settings for each and every pad. This is crucial IMO. While I am quite happy to save my masterpiece along with the rest of my Sonar project inside a .cwp file I am quite happy to also have the option to save my Beatscape creation with all changes and settings in pads (including the loop editors features like Step Generator edits and settings e.t.c) to a single separate Beatscape Program that can be recalled in any other project.

The Browser has three sections or tabs...Library, User and Programs. The Library tab will show the included content (4GB or so). The User tab will show your own User loops and the Programs will show a list of saved Programs with pad settings e.t.c all present and correct.

I really would prefer a floating browser similar to Dimension Pro's. Some of the names of the loops are not fully visible. Although 90% of them are fully visible so it's a nit pick.

Last edited by Monarch; 7th December 2008 at 11:09 AM. . <
Old 6th December 2008 , 03:12 PM
Administrator

Great stuff Monarch.. This is an invaluable resource to existing and potential Sonar users.. I know all will appreciate your efforts
Old 6th December 2008 , 03:22 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by modz1 View Post
Great stuff Monarch.. This is an invaluable resource to existing and potential Sonar users.. I know all will appreciate your efforts
As ever modz1...encouraging words...much appreciated!

Old 7th December 2008 , 06:59 PM
Forum Scribe

Default Beatscape Part 8

Beatscape Part 8

Beatscape FX

Sonar has plenty of top draw effects... 5 band compressors, Linear Phase plugins, 64 bit double precision plugs, x64 native plugs, Rolands V-Vocal e.tc. Even Synths like Z3ta+ (included in Sonar) have a set of FX that can be used as inserts to bulge the list of included FX in Sonar even more. So why does Beatscape need FX of its own?

Well they are fun for starters...and I love new toys >cough< but more importantly they are great for workflow. While I would always use the best plugs available for processing...it is still quite a big deal to not have to come out of Beatscape to add some sort of FX chain to your creative work.

I can tell you now that you could easily set up a template with your choice of any of Sonars excellent plugs. Simply load up Beatscape and make sure all the outputs are created. Then add whatever FX you want to each output track. Simply save that as a Track Template. Load that track Template into any project you want...done.

But...having said all that, it is even easier still IMO to have FX built into to something like Beatscape. Also Beatscapes FX are more of the creative variety designed for experimentation on the fly as you will see.

So what have we got...well each pad can have 3 inserts or a 3 FX chain. So what are they like to use...as the description for each FX plug suggests there is plenty of creative sound processing on offer but below is a detailed break down with creative suggestions for each Beastscape FX parameter setting to get you on your way quickly.

Beatscape has 19 built in FX...

1. Dynamics, Compressor:
Standard really only a few controls but surprisingly useful in the heat of beat creation. Less really can be more. Set the Pre and Threshold to taste and set the Ratio to about 4:1

2. Dynamics, Gate:
Set the Pre knob to 12 O'clock . Adjust the threshold to about 10 o'clock. Pull the attack knob all the way down to the left = a very nice stutter gating effect. Sweet.

3. Dynamics, Limiter:
No controls here....but does what it says on the tin.

4. Mod, Mono Chorus:
While you can use this for more subtle chorus effects. I was never going to settle for that...(something more creative is in order...) if the Speed and Depth settings are pushed really hard, say 90% of the way and mix knob is around 50% you can get a really nice effect on drum loops.

5. Mod, Mono Flanger:
Good sounding flanger but move those knobs! The Speed and Depth settings are begging to be moved in realtime. Different ball game when you do that. These plugs IMO are not designed for subtle usage.

6. Delay Stereo:
Mix knob half way...Size knob at about 2 O'clock or 730ms...Feedback setting at 0% = Very nice delay on drum elements. FYI This delay does not tempo sync. But the tip I have given works very well IMO. YMMV.

7. Delay Sync, Stereo (tempo sync delay):
Set the Mix knob half way. Adjust the Size control to 1/2. Adjust the Feedback to 0% and slowly sweep up to 100% and slowly back down to taste. Nice.

8. EQ-1 Band Parametric :
Only one band? No problem. Here the Gain control can be used very creatively. Set the Freq setting to 50Hz to boost the low end or go higher say 200 for more low end options with a bit less mud. Push the Gain at least 75% of the way to get a pumping effect. The Width control is the icing on the cake here. Drag left and right for variation.

Again these are designed for creative on the fly use. I don't mix this way LOL! But playing around with these plugs creatively is a fantastic experience...that IMO is exactly what they were designed for. As stand alone plugs of course they will not compare to more feature packed plugs in Sonar but that is totally missing the point as used creatively in Beatscape these plugs are brilliant.

9. Filter, LP -2P:
Bring the Cut off down to 50Hz and Resonance down to 15db. Leave the Gain as is. You should have a underground basement club effect. Slowly... move the Cut off to the right for a nice sweeping effect on a drum loop. Bring the Cut off back to about 125hz and drag to the right again to taste.

10. Filter, BP -2P:
Much more clinical filtering is possible here as this offers a band pass filter. Adjust the Cut off to 6k. Adjust the Resonance to 12db. Leave the Gain at its default for a nice broken transistor radio effect. Nothing is stopping you of course from slowly bringing the Cut off back to the left for that Basement Club next door (or downstairs) sound...

11. Filter, HP -2P:
Cut off at 7.5k. Res at 15db. Gain to taste this will give an effect very similar to hearing music playing through the guys headphones next door to you on the train. Again sweep the Cut off control to taste in real time.

12. Lo - Fi, Bit Reduction:
One Depth control here but it really does bite! Set the Depth control halfway...every 2 beats turn the knob all the way and hold for one or two beats. It really does Bit Reduce LOL!

13. Lo Fi, Decimator:
Oooohhh this produces very heavy Lofi decimation yikes but that is its purpose really...turn the Depth knob up to about 45% beyond that you are on your own!

14. Reverb, Stereo:
Surprisingly big reverb here. Very smooth. I don't think you will need to touch the Size knob. If anything you may want to reduce it but I think you will get more out of this reverb by increasing the dry knob. It really can swallow anything you throw at it espcially with a high size setting. A little goes a long way. Very smooth reverb. Good for snares as an example.

15. Reverb, Spring:
Far more subtle compared to the Reverb Stereo. Huge difference. For very slight reverb processing.

16. Distortion 1-Stage:
To really hear this effect and probably to avoid over cooking it (as it is quite a powerful effect at even relatively low settings)...Set the Mix knob to 100%, Depth to 35%, and Tone to 45%. Adjust the Tone setting by moving it very slowy to the right to hear the distortion effect. It is more subtle this way but I find it to be quite pleasing at such a setting. Increase the Depth knob for more distortion.

17. Distortion 4 Stages:
Much more powerful than the Distortion stage 1 FX. A really different level of distortion is on offer here. Adjust the Mix knob to 35%, Depth to 32% and Tone to about 30%. Slowly adjust the Tone knob. This effect is not subtle so do exercise care...

18. Ext, AM:
Adjust the Dry knob to 0%, Wet knob to 100% and the Octave knob to 3.55oct. This give you a fluttering effect. Good on Hi hats.

19. Ext, FM:
Try this with Hi hats as well...Dry knob set to 0%, Wet to 100% Octave knob set to 7.55 slowly turn towards 8oct or slightly above to hear your Hi Hats chirp quite happily!

Hmmmm...suddenly the 3 FX per pad does not seem like a limitation at all. The 'serving' suggestions I have given above are for *each* Beatscape FX plug used individually. But...there is nothing stopping you from combining any 3 of the FX above in your own Beatscape FX chain to come up with something that is totally unique to you.

You can reallly change a loop to something radically different from its orginal state without much effort. There are so many ways to do it!

Old 7th December 2008 , 08:54 PM
Forum Scribe

Default Beatscape Part 9

Beatscape Part 9

The Content

Pleasantly surprised here. Excellent. Very high quality. The genres covered are quite wide. Just to give you more of an idea as to what is included here it covers.. House, Dancehall, DNB, Hip Hop, RnB and plenty of other variations.

But when you are using an application that can keep everything you put into it in perfect sync with a hosts tempo, the genre of a particular loop is not that important IMO. Especially when you can silence slices, adjust speed settings on pads..e.t.c

Of course certain rules for certain genres will always apply but Beatscape certainly allows one to easily bend the rules creatively quite considerably. Believe me you will have no idea what a loops original genre was after it has been sliced, diced, Step Gen'd, triggered via MIDI and what have you in Beatscape.It is a very fresh collection of beats. Plenty of hats, kicks snare e.t.c

What did surprise me is that you get much more than that. You also get reversed parts, even some with panning. Guitar parts can be found here as well flutes and even synth parts.

There is a Combo loop that has all the parts of a particular Library selection included AFAICT. So the ACIDREFLUX combo rx2 file is comprised of all the construction loops in one. Of course just as a way to suggest how it might be used, but really I would be much more inclined to use different parts of one Groove collection in Beatscapes Library with another.

You can get some really fresh and unique sounds that way and still stay within your chosen genre. There are more than enough tools in Beatscape for the job.

To stay within the boundaries of a particular collection of “construction loops” as Cakewalk call them though would be very limiting. Beatscape practically begs you to experiment.

There are on average about 6 – 8 parts to each Library Groove or collection of loops in a particular genre. Going way beyond the standard Kick, Snare and Hi hat parts. There are at least 250 to 300+ Library grooves or genre specific categories of beats so you have about 250 x 6 = 1500 (at least) parts to swap around and mangle in Beatscape. Around the 4GB mark for hard drive space requirements.

There is nothing stopping you for instance from using a single part like a hi hat twice. One that has been modified perhaps by silencing parts e.t.c yet another copy of the same Hi Hat that has been Step Gen’d e.t.c on another pad that can be used to layer the first Hi Hat. There are just so many ways to climb the Beatscape tree.

Last edited by Monarch; 7th December 2008 at 08:59 PM. . <
Old 21st February 2009 , 12:56 PM
Forum Scribe

Default Beatscape Part 10

Beatscape Part 10

Beatscape Vs Cyclone

It had to happen <g>

Look and feel
a. I think Beatscape is ahead here. The use of colours and shading is better. In addition, Beatscapes GUI is much bigger than Cyclones. I was very surprised by how much. A larger GUI for Beatscape has given way to a larger keyboard to play around with compared to Cyclones. Which IMO makes it more accessible.

Features
{I will not go into too much detail as this is really just comparing key features}.

b. Well both plugs have 16 pads and 16 outputs. Although Beatscapes are arranged from the bottom...upwards. The reverse is the case with Cyclone. Seems a bit strange.

c. Cyclone has an arranger and Beatscape does not. Or to use its official name "Pad Editor". It is effectively a 16 track or (16 pad) arranger.

d. Cyclone is a native x64 Instrument while Beatscape is not. Although you can use Beatscape in the x64 version of Sonar using Cakewalks Bit Bridge.

e. Beatscape can slice any Wav file and sync it to Sonars tempo while Cyclone can only do this with ACIDized loops.

f. FWIW...Beatscape can be used in other hosts as well. It is a VSTi but not locked to Sonar AFAICT. Cyclone can also be used in other hosts but that host will have to support DXi's as Cyclone is not a VSTi. A wrapper should do the trick if your host does not support DXi's.

FX
g. Beatscape has 19 FX (each discussed earlier in this thread in detail) while Cyclone has none.

Content
h. Well Cyclone really does not have any. Not that I am aware of. Nada...although Sonar IIRC does have some ACID loops (or did in the past) but nothing as large as Beatscapes 4GB of content.

There is nothing stopping you from having both instruments in the same project. They are both highly creative plugs and they are both available in Sonar.

Old 21st February 2009 , 01:08 PM
Administrator

Hey Monarch, welcome back.. Another great Beatscape post!

Hope you've been keepin' well
Old 21st February 2009 , 01:43 PM
Son of 'Z'

You've wrote more about Beatscape then most people write about a whole daw

EdRyan is offline Offline
Old 21st February 2009 , 03:05 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by modz1
Hey Monarch, welcome back.. Another great Beatscape post!

Hope you've been keepin' well
Hey modzy! Thanks. Yes keeping well here. Just a bit busy these days. Trying to focus on finishing some Album & Web projects.

I am wrapping up the Sonar review today. I have been working on it over the last few months here and there but I will draw the line today with a focus on the new features in v.8 (only). Other aspects of Sonar would stretch the review into 2010 (really), so while there is always the possibility to extend this in future I think it is very unlikely.

I want to make sure the review for new Sonar 8 features is as complete as possible. That will be done today. Sounds crazy but I am amazed how much text is already in the review

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdRyan
You've wrote more about Beatscape then most people write about a whole daw
Lol! I still have one more Beatscape post left... Yes..Beatscape part 50 would be pushing it a bit Other features will get a few lines...honest.

Old 21st February 2009 , 03:30 PM
Forum Scribe

Default Beatscape Part 11: Beatscape Vs. Stylus RMX

Beatscape Part 11

Beatscape Vs. Spectrasonics Stylus RMX

I have been waiting to do this comparison for ages! The first time Cakewalk released details for Sonar 8 and I saw Beatscape I thought what exactly is this?

Could it replace RMX? Dare it even try to replace the mighty RMX in my set up? <g>

I needed an excellent drum module that offered real time sound manipulation. Now I already had Cyclone...but with little or no content, RMX was badly needed. GURU was a possibility but RMX's Chaos designer won me over big time. More on that later...

Look and feel

I love the look of RMX. The colours and level of user friendliness is very well thought out. I am surprised at the difference in size of the GUIs here. I am pretty certain that RMX has a bigger GUI than the first version simply called "Stylus". But "Stylus RMX" has an even bigger GUI. Beatscapes is even bigger than that. It just swallows it.

Perhaps with larger screen sizes and larger resolutions available to us today Cakewalk felt it was better to have a larger GUI for Beatscape. Especially considering the amount of features, it has. I am inclined to agree. I use a 24" screen and it looks absolutely fine on it. Crisp clear and sharp at 1900 by 1200.

RMX's GUI is actually fine for what it offers. But I will say you do have to dig a bit to get what you want compared to Beatscape. RMX has a nice Main edit screen with synthesis options for Power filters, envelopes, LFO's e.t.c . Beatscape does not have all of those synthesis options but the controls for them are available without losing sight of the 16 pads on Beatscapes GUI.

Browsing

You will have to browse away from the main page in RMX to get to its Mixer, FX rack and browser for Elements e.t.c. So there is more to and fro involved with RMX. Not the case with Beatscape. The 16 pads are always in view with it's browser visible to the left.

Mixing it up

Beatscape does not have a mixer though. RMX has sends and controls for pan and Volume. Beatscape has pan and volume controls as well.

FX

27 IIRC for RMX and a rather tasty and superbly creative bundle they most certainly are I can tell you! Beatscapes FX are also a highly creative collection but not as fully featured as the FX that ship with RMX.

RMX also ships with presets for each of its plugins...not so with Beatscape, but then again the parameters for the FX in Beatscape are much simpler to pick up with the emphasis clearly on key parameters and not necessarily all the parameters you would find on a fully featured Phaser for example.

I guess because Beatscape is not a standalone product Cakewalk saw no need to add too much detail to Beatscapes FX. Simply add from any of the tens of FX that ship with Sonar to any of Beatscapes outputs and save it all as a track template if need be.

Content

Tough one here. I was quite surprised by the very high quality of Beatscapes content. Very. RMX has a superb collection of Sounds and Loops. I think RMX takes the lead here as it has 10,000 individual hits as well as hundreds of loops as well. Categorised drum kits can also be found so it has a deeper offering on content. But on quality there is no difference.

Sound Manipulation

Whatever you feed these apps you will not recognise it after even a few changes here and there. RMX offers slice level alteration with Edit Groups...with this feature you can add a reverb to one slice of a loop for instance. Pretty crazy stuff. You could load a loop into one of Beatscapes pads, silence the slices you do not want and a reverb to the snare slice you do want to hear to achieve the same thing but RMX is deeper here IMO.

Beatscapes Step Editor is not available in RMX as such although I am sure Eric (Spectrasonics Dev) could show me a way to do something very similar <g>. Also RMX has no pads like Beatscape and Cyclone.

The RMX jewel IMO is its Chaos designer...change how fast hits occur in a loop, faster or slower, change pitch, drum dynamics, pattern triggering probability, reversing e.t.c incredible stuff. It also has its own stuttering and glitch FX..Chaos Buzz.

The really amazing part though is that RMX can improvise for you! Set the parameters and just listen to RMX improvise before your eyes. Brilliant. Beatscapes has nothing like that as you have to manually trigger pads e.t.c in different ways. Some people though (maybe most) would prefer to do this themselves though instead of having a VSTi do it for them.

But as an owner of RMX and Beatscape thankfully I don't have to worry about such things...heh.

Beatscapes real strength...

The comparison could go on but Beatscape is not designed to compete with apps like RMX IMO...but rather to sit inside a host like Sonar and draw from the other features Sonar has. For instance you could combine Sonars excellent Step Sequencer and Beatscape for even more creative variation. Or combine Cyclone and Beatscape in Sonar with RXP for instance. See what I mean? However, I thought it would be interesting to compare the two apps though.

Not an exhaustive comparison but interesting IMO. That is it for Beatscape >Phew< Now for the rest of Sonar 8's new features...

Old 21st February 2009 , 03:44 PM
Forum Scribe

Default Channel Tools

Channel Tools

One of Cakewalks new Sonar 8 plugins.

Cakewalk describe it as...." The Channel Tools plug-in provides easy and powerful channel processing for gain, Mid-Side decoding, delay and stereo panning. Channel Tools is ideal for enhancing and adjusting stereo separation for stereo tracks and full mixes.
It can also be used to correct problems with existing stereo recordings or for creative mixing."

That is really the way I use it. Adding width to certain tracks in a song. The corrective aspects of this plug really do not fall into my workflow pattern. Nice addition but overall the plugin is not a big area of interest for me. I use it sparingly when needed.

With the excellent Ozone 4's new Mid side feature addition I am definitely more interested in Channel Tools. More to it than meets the eye. Not a huge addition to Sonar 8, but it does add more advanced panning to Sonar which for me allows for some very creative uses.

I will defintely be spending more time with this plug, a small addition but very useful.