DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Artist & Member Forum > User Reviews
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

User Reviews Drop in & Check out 'real world' user reviews on some top pro-audio gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th September 2008 , 09:21 PM
Forum Scribe

Thumbs up User Reviews: Computer Hardware

Hi everyone, this is a user review thread that focuses on Audio interfaces, MIDI interfaces, control surfaces, MIDI controllers & USB MIDI keyboards (not motherboards or system components). Please write a review of any items you currently own within those categories using these guidelines as best as possible...

1. Name of the product and current version:

2. When you bought the product:

3. Why you bought it:

4. How much did it cost:

5. Installation / Setup:

6. What do you like about it?:

7. What don’t you like about it?.

8. Any improvements:

9. Comparison to similar products:

10.Would you buy it again:

11.Licence:
a. Transfers allowed?
b. How many, per (PC or MAC)

12. Format (PC or MAC):

13.Copy Protection:

14. Pros and cons summary:

15. Rating:

Please bear in mind they are just guidelines. You can make your review as long or as short as you wish of course. Thanks for your help!
Monarch is offline Offline
Last edited by Monarch; 22nd September 2008 at 06:43 PM. . <
Old 20th September 2008 , 10:01 PM
Hell-Rider

Nice, good work

Model: MOTU 24, I/O
Purchased: about a year ago
Reason for Purchase: I needed something to interface with my mx9000 (both are 24 track)
Cost: £1070
Setup : painless (unless on XP64 where by it spins out for a while after install then settles)
Likes: visible in/outs, clip indicators, sample rate indicator
Dislikes: the unit screams when windows shuts down before the unit is turned off. ( no biggy tho, just change the order of shut down)
Improvements: 2U wouldnt be a problem and better for heat, would allow even better level indicators such as the ones featured on the 192 HD or multitrack units such as the Mackie 24 track/Tascam 24/24 or Alesis HD24
Similar products: havent tried any 24 track interfaces as theres not many about in the same price range.
Would i buy it again?: Yes definatly, the 424 PCI/PCI-E card system is awesome bang for the buck, in fact im going to add a 2408 to my system as soon as possible so that i can lightpipe some pres to my set up.

Pros: good monitoring, clean signal, easy setup, robust rack mounts, good bundled software (cuemix dsp), vast amount of expandability to the system.

Cons: I'd leave a space between it and any other gear as it does kick out some serious heat, buzzes a bit but nothing major, screaming can be annoying and damage monitors if you forget your shutdown order.
JAYDMF is offline Offline
Old 20th September 2008 , 10:12 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYDMF View Post
Nice, good work

Model: MOTU 24, I/O
Purchased: about a year ago
Reason for Purchase: I needed something to interface with my mx9000 (both are 24 track)
Cost: £1070
Setup : painless (unless on XP64 where by it spins out for a while after install then settles)
Likes: visible in/outs, clip indicators, sample rate indicator
Dislikes: the unit screams when windows shuts down before the unit is turned off. ( no biggy tho, just change the order of shut down)
Improvements: 2U wouldnt be a problem and better for heat, would allow even better level indicators such as the ones featured on the 192 HD or multitrack units such as the Mackie 24 track/Tascam 24/24 or Alesis HD24
Similar products: havent tried any 24 track interfaces as theres not many about in the same price range.
Would i buy it again?: Yes definatly, the 424 PCI/PCI-E card system is awesome bang for the buck, in fact im going to add a 2408 to my system as soon as possible so that i can lightpipe some pres to my set up.

Pros: good monitoring, clean signal, easy setup, robust rack mounts, good bundled software (cuemix dsp), vast amount of expandability to the system.

Cons: I'd leave a space between it and any other gear as it does kick out some serious heat, buzzes a bit but nothing major, screaming can be annoying and damage monitors if you forget your shutdown order.
Fantastic JAYDMF! Much appreciated. That is a very nice review. More reviews like that will really help us all on this forum.

Thanks again!
Old 20th September 2008 , 11:49 PM
Forum Idol

Model: Digidesign 003 factory console

Purchased: On day of release
Reason for Purchase: wanted to learn Pro Tools
Cost: £1400 on the nose
Setup : Headache on PC(dodgey FW chip/IRQ) Mac = Easy
Dislikes: Can't control other D.A.W's easily, no mixer interface
Improvements: More control over 3rd party D.A.W's
Similar products: M-Audio ProjectMix I/O Control Surface

Would i buy it again? probably not as for the money there are some awesome interfaces, but if the 004 can offer any new features that may interest me such as better control il consider

Pros's: 2 headphone jacks, easy control of Pro Tools

Con's: can be problematic with firewire chipsets, no mixer control of 3rd party D.A.W's, MIDI control seems hard to set up and quite a big spoiler there is no stand alone Digital Mixer interface

So to sum it all up i think it's a lovely looking interface and if you can work with a few of it's let downs then i have to say you won't go wrong with this, its served me well to date and i hope to enjoy it for the foreseeable future
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Last edited by sureno; 16th October 2008 at 07:16 PM. . <
Old 21st September 2008 , 09:33 AM
Forum Scribe

Thumbs up

Thanks sureno!

Lovely Digi 003 Factory review! Clearly there are many who would like to buy it in future, but are interested in what current users have to say about it...first.

Nice write up!
Old 21st September 2008 , 09:36 AM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarch View Post
Thanks sureno!

Lovely Digi 003 Factory review! Clearly there are many who would like to buy it in future, but are interested in what current users have to say about it...first.

Nice write up!
yes i should add if your a Die Hard Pro Tools le user to be fair it is a must to your addition
Old 21st September 2008 , 10:04 AM

1.Name of the product: M-Audio Delta 10/10 LT
2.When you bought the product: April 2008
3.Why you bought it: Needed a good audio interface with more than two analogue I/O for external mixing and with midi and digital I/O's.
4. Cost: 250€
5.Set up and/or installation: It is installed the same way you instal a PCI card.
6.What do you like about the product: The number of inputs and outputs.
7.What don’t you like about it: Nothing it is perfect for my needs.
8.Any improvements you would like to suggest for the product? No
9.How does it compare to similar products out there? In my knowledge there aren't many other pro audio pci sound cards besides the m-audio ones so there is not much to compare.
10.Would you buy it again? Yes
11.Pros and cons summary: The 10 I/O. I have no cons to point out.

Rating: 5/5

http://www.dv247.com/invt/173/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 135467_1.jpg (12.4 KB, 1 views)
Last edited by e-vinyl; 21st September 2008 at 01:13 PM. . <
Old 21st September 2008 , 11:22 AM

1.Name of the product: M-Audio Trigger Finger
2.When you bought the product: December 07
3.Why you bought it: Needed a control surface for launching clips when playing livesets in Ableton Live
4. Cost: £106.99
5.Set up and/or installation: Install drivers and away you go in theory, however didnt get on with vista for a while, enigma software still not compatable with vista (but I never needed it)
6.What do you like about the product: works well, 16 different midi scenes giving vast amount of control
7.What don’t you like about it: A few dropouts when first using it due to driver issues, works fine now however
8.Any improvements you would like to suggest for the product? Not really
9.How does it compare to similar products out there? Other products out there to compare with, however I feel it does its job very nicely
10.Would you buy it again? Yes, without doubt
11.Pros and cons summary: Simple and effective to use, initial problems with vista drivers
conor_j is offline Offline
Last edited by conor_j; 21st September 2008 at 01:17 PM. . <
Old 21st September 2008 , 11:34 AM

1.Name of the product: Focusrite Saffire LE
2.When you bought the product: September 07
3.Why you bought it: Needed an interface to send 3/4 channels from ableton live for outboard mixing
4. Cost: £250 (I think)
5.Set up and/or installation: Install drivers plug in firewire and off you go
6.What do you like about the product: works well, is my main interface at the minute and have never had an issue with it, saffire control and forcusrite vst's are easy software to use also
7.What don’t you like about it: nothing, happy customer
8.Any improvements you would like to suggest for the product? Not really, nice product for the price
9.How does it compare to similar products out there? havnt any experience with others to compare
10.Would you buy it again? Yes for live rig I would, would probably buy motu with more I/O's for production setup tho
11.Pros and cons summary: Simple and effective to use, never had an issue, no cons
conor_j is offline Offline
Last edited by conor_j; 21st September 2008 at 01:18 PM. . <
Old 21st September 2008 , 11:38 AM

1.Name of the product : Akai mpd-24
2.When you bought the product: August 2007
3.Why you bought it: I like the pads that the akai has bought to their products
4. Cost: 250€
5.Set up and/or installation: It was complicated to put it working with reason 3 correctly but that has been fixed with reason 4
6.What do you like about the product: IT's way cheaper than a mpc and if you can work well with software it comes in handy.
7.What don’t you like about it: The color i would like it in black
8.Any improvements you would like to suggest for the product: Akai should post midi maps for other DAW's/sequencers
9.How does it compare to similar products out there:
10.Would you buy it again: Although it is a great product i would prefer to save for an MPC
11.Pros and cons summary: Really nice to use, but it lacks some midi maps that would come in handy on other softewares.

Rating: 4/5

http://www.dv247.com/invt/36346/
Last edited by e-vinyl; 21st September 2008 at 01:14 PM. . <
Old 21st September 2008 , 11:45 AM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-vinyl View Post
1.Name of the product : Akai mpd-24
2.When you bought the product: August 2007
3.Why you bought it: I like the pads that the akai has bought to their products
4. Cost: 250Ä
5.Set up and/or installation: It was complicated to put it working with reason 3 correctly but that has been fixed with reason 4
6.What do you like about the product: IT's way cheaper than a mpc and if you can work well with software it comes in handy.
7.What donít you like about it: The color i would like it in black
8.Any improvements you would like to suggest for the product: Akai should post midi maps for other DAW's/sequencers
9.How does it compare to similar products out there:
10.Would you buy it again: Although it is a great product i would prefer to save for an MPC
11.Pros and cons summary: Really nice to use, but it lacks some midi maps that would come in handy on other softewares.
Interesting post, i actually sold my MPC 2500 cos it was just gathering dust and i had no need for it especially having a D.A.W but have seriously considered this, the pads which you like are meant to be like the actual MPC pads, have been considering getting this
Old 21st September 2008 , 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
Interesting post, i actually sold my MPC 2500 cos it was just gathering dust and i had no need for it especially having a D.A.W but have seriously considered this, the pads which you like are meant to be like the actual MPC pads, have been considering getting this
Yes i know, those pads are the best . I have tried an mpc-1000 and i prefer it more than an mpd but that could be because im a hiphop producer it is in our genes to like the mpc best
Old 21st September 2008 , 08:33 PM

Default Behringer UMA25S

1.Name of the product and current version: Behringer UMA25S
2.When you bought the product: August 2008
3.Why you bought it: I needed a combined 25 note controller and audio interface to use on my laptop when out on the road.
4. Cost? £79.99
5.Set up and/or installation: Simple/ complicated?: Incredibly easy. The controller is USB class compliant plug and play and the supplied ASIO driver installed and functioned perfectly first time.
6.What do you like about the product?: It's compact nature, superb quality and total ease of use. I also liked the incredible value for money. For my £79.99, I got the board, 2CD's of drivers and loads of software (VST's, Sequencers and audio editors), microphone headset, USB lead and padded gig bag.
7.What donít you like about it?: Lack of pre-defined presets for use with software apps and instruments. No Reason ReMote file yet
8.Any improvements you would like to suggest for the product?: The UMA comes with a guitar strap for mobile playing. It would be worth having if the device was wireless MIDI capable and had a mod grip "a la" SH-101, but of course, this would impact the price.
9.How does it compare to similar products out there?: It feels sturdier than other 25 noters and most others cost twice as much WITHOUT the audio interface.
10.Would you buy it again?: Absolutely ! I'm even considering buying more for friends and family !
11.Pros and cons summary: Pro's are it's cost, size and utterly market leading capability. Con's are that DV recently dropped it to £67.99 !!!

Down in the park with a friend called Five...

-
Akai S6000|Akai Z8|Akai MPC1000|Akai MPC500|Akai MPK49|Alesis Fusion 6HD|Korg Prophecy|Yamaha CS1x,DX27,RM1x,SU-10,DTXpress,UX256|Roland SC-88VL,PMA-5|EmulatorX2|Behringer UMA25S|Event EZBus|AKG C444|JBL Control 1's
Failed Muso is offline Offline
Old 21st September 2008 , 08:54 PM

Default Akai MPK49

1.Name of the product and current version: Akai MPK49
2.When you bought the product: Early 2008
3.Why you bought it: I didn't actually buy it. I received mine as part of my freelance work with Akai/Alesis
4. Cost? See Above
5.Set up and/or installation: Simple/ complicated?: Simplicity itself. USB Class compliant, it's instantly recognised. The supplied Vyzex software editor is equally easy to install and use, as was copying the required map files to be used in a variety of DAW's
6.What do you like about the product?: My god, this controller is a sturdy mutha ! It's weighty and substantial and feels like it can take a proper beating. The keybed is superb. One of the nicest semi weighted actions I've ever used, and aftertouch to boot. The MPC pads are a big bonus. The built in arpeggiator and MPC Note Repeat are incredibly inspirational. The sliders, knobs and switches work well too.
7.What donít you like about it?: Very little to be honest. I am struggling to think of anything.
8.Any improvements you would like to suggest for the product?: The ability to output MIDI over USB and the standard MIDI port simultaneously would be a good thing. Also, Global Settings don't save after power down.
9.How does it compare to similar products out there?: Unmatched when it comes to versatility. The MPC features and arpeggiator set it well apart.
10.Would you buy it again?: If I hadn't got mine for free, I'd have bought one, no doubt. It is now my main keyboard controller in my studio.
11.Pros and cons summary: Pro's ? It's level of control, quality of keybed and pads and it's substantial weight and solid build. Con's ? Inability to output MIDI over USB and standard port at the same time and Global Settings not being retained at power down.

Down in the park with a friend called Five...

-
Akai S6000|Akai Z8|Akai MPC1000|Akai MPC500|Akai MPK49|Alesis Fusion 6HD|Korg Prophecy|Yamaha CS1x,DX27,RM1x,SU-10,DTXpress,UX256|Roland SC-88VL,PMA-5|EmulatorX2|Behringer UMA25S|Event EZBus|AKG C444|JBL Control 1's
Failed Muso is offline Offline
Old 21st September 2008 , 09:32 PM

1.Name of the product: Behringer UMX25 U-Control 25
2.When you bought the product: December 2006
3.Why you bought it: I needed a midi keyboard to play the melodies with reason
4. Cost? 132Ä
5.Set up and/or installation: It was plug and play if i am not mistaken
6.What do you like about the product? the possibility to use it without midi cables
7.What donít you like about it? the buttons are hard to press
8.Any improvements you would like to suggest for the product? buttons that are easier to press
9.How does it compare to similar products out there? any keyboard controller does the job well done in the end
10.Would you buy it again? No behringer lauched the UMA-25 and i think it is better and cheaper
11.Pros and cons summary: The free vst's it comes with is def. a pro. The con was the price at that moment although i think it is cheaper now

Rating : 3/5

Behringer U-Control UMX25 USB/Midi Contoller Keybo at DV247.COM