DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Artist & Member Forum > User Reviews
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

User Reviews Drop in & Check out 'real world' user reviews on some top pro-audio gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th September 2008 , 09:19 PM
Forum Scribe

Default User Reviews: Sequencers, Fx, VSTi's, Notation e.t.c

Hi everyone, this is a user review thread that focuses on DAW, sequencers, audio editors, virtual instruments, virtual synths, plugins, effects, Mastering and scoring software. Please write a review of any items you currently own within those categories using these guidelines as best as possible...

1. Name of the product and current version:

2. When you bought the product:

3. Why you bought it:

4. How much did it cost:

5. Installation / Setup:

6. What do you like about it?:

7. What don’t you like about it?.

8. Any improvements:

9. Comparison to similar products:

10.Would you buy it again:

11.Licence:
a. Transfers allowed?
b. How many, per (PC or MAC)

12. Format (PC or MAC):

13.Copy Protection:

14. Pros and cons summary:

15. Rating:

Please bear in mind they are just guidelines. You can make your review as long or as short as you wish of course. Thanks for your assistance!
Monarch is offline Offline
Last edited by Monarch; 22nd September 2008 at 06:43 PM. . <
Old 20th September 2008 , 10:04 PM
Forum Scribe

Name of the product and current version: Sonar 7 Producer

2.When you bought the product: Acquired late 2007.
3.Why you bought it: Have used Sonar since v.2. since then I have seen many key features I wanted added to Sonar. Over hauled Midi, Pow-r dithering, High quality synths e.t.c
4.How much did it cost? £120+
5.Installation: Set up was quite straight forward. It did not take longer than 10 minutes if that. You do have options to choose what to install or not and where to install it. So I was quite pleased with that.
6.What do you like about it: x64 version.The new Step sequencer . It makes putting bass lines and drum parts together really quick and easy. The Midi overhaul is pretty extensive. Smart MIDI is about right.

Very smart...too deep to go into here but there are 20 different assignable mouse actions that can be assigned to edit functions like slip editing e.t.c You can even save your assignments as presets. The MIDI magnifier is really clever. It lets you see really small notes without having to zoom in. Very clever stuff.

The Linear phase EQ and Multiband Compressor sound great. Very clean. Finally some serious mastering plugs in Sonar. Boost 11 is a very simple Limiter (thankfully) that can get good results quickly. Nice. Side chaining, Pitch to Midi I could go on. Itís a big leap from v.6 IMO.

You can now drag notes in Sonar to quantize them...slick. Very slick in usage. z3ta+ for me is maybe the best inclusion of the lot. It was already a classic for many but to include it in Sonar well that really was a very nice surprise.

7.What donít you like about it: Well I would like it perhaps to be a bit more reliable...audio drops out more often than I would like (compared to other similar software on my system) but thankfully there are many ways to configure Sonar and on Vista x64 I have to say it has been consistent as far as reliability goes.

8.Any improvements you would like to suggest for the product: More Native x64 bit plugs would be nice. Bit Bridge (Cakewalk wrapper for 32bit plugs) is needed to use x86 plugs. There is some lag when using Bit Bridge but Sonar has enough native x64 plugs for me not to be too upset about this.

A totally gapless engine like Ableton Live or Podium would be nice.

9.How does it compare to similar products
Well Cubase is very similar. But I think 4 or 5 years ago Sonar was playing catch up in many areas, I think in some ways at least that role is now reversed. Steinberg appear to be on a longer dev schedule so I guess Sonar catching up in many areas and being ahead in others was always likely to happen.

10.Would you buy it again? I see no reason not to upgrade to version 8 (now that the info is out) so I am quite happy to keep using Sonar in future.

11.Pros and cons summary: Sonar 7 is without a doubt IMO a feature packed app. Everything from looping tools to step sequencing it has it. Drum maps in Sonar could be easier to configure and set up though. Less audio drop outs would help but that may be a configuration issue on my part.

Rating.. 4 out of 5. Very deep Audio and Midi software.

Last edited by Monarch; 22nd September 2008 at 10:04 PM. . <
Old 21st September 2008 , 12:01 AM
Forum Idol

1.Name of the product: Logic Studio 8

2.When you bought: April 2008
3.Why you bought it: Sick of Cubase 4 and PC's
4.How much did it cost: £270
5.Installation: easy but long avg. 8Hrs
6.Likes: Great workflow, great on board plug ins, aesthetically pleasing
no serious problems so far.
7.Dislikes: the fact audio editing is destructive
8.Any improvements you would like to suggest: Non destructive audio editing
9.How does it compare: Used by professionals, need i say more?
10.Would you buy it again: All day long

Pro's - i can honestly say everything about it other than what i have written below

Con's - destructive audio editing

I have to say for the price it is most certainly a bang for the buck, all the programs you get with it let alone the instruments in Logic, but wave burner and soundtrack pro! a great burning tool and although still a bit buggy soundtrack is great for editing audio. and main stage, i learnt about mainstage the other night at a Logic seminar, wow what a great idea! to be able to host a plug in so that it performs as a stand alone instrument and have the ability to gain quick access to the controls you need is great for the live performer! to sum it all up Logic Studio for me is a really good package and you won't get any complaints from me
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Last edited by sureno; 16th October 2008 at 07:13 PM. . <
Old 21st September 2008 , 08:27 PM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarch View Post
7.What don’t you like about it: Well I would like it perhaps to be a bit more reliable...audio drops out more often than I would like (compared to other similar software on my system) but thankfully there are many ways to configure Sonar and on Vista x64 I have to say it has been consistent as far as reliability goes.
I'm using it on vista 32 and the audio drop outs is a real pain in the ass at times!
sphelan is offline Offline
Old 21st September 2008 , 08:40 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelan View Post
I'm using it on vista 32 and the audio drop outs is a real pain in the ass at times!
what do you mean by audio drop outs exactly? excuse my ignorance but i got a mac so wouldn't know but seriously exactly do youmean by audio drop outs? e.g
how long a drop out
whats the fix etc
Old 22nd September 2008 , 06:31 AM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
what do you mean by audio drop outs exactly? excuse my ignorance but i got a mac so wouldn't know but seriously exactly do youmean by audio drop outs? e.g
how long a drop out
whats the fix etc
This is where you can have your track playing and from some reason a red light shows up in the lower part of the window and the audio stops and the track stops playing.

"If SONAR suddenly stops producing audio during recording or playback followed by the appearance of a red dropout indicator light, you've very likely experienced a dropout. Sometimes instead of a dropout, you may experience a stutter during playback (a small section of audio repeats itself once or twice before normal playback resumes). Or, you may occasionally experience a glitch or pop during audio playback (a brief interruption or clicking noise is heard, but audio playback then continues normally from that point)." - Cakewalk Support

The following link give some info.
Audio has Unexpectedly Dropped Out
sphelan is offline Offline
Old 22nd September 2008 , 08:41 AM
Forum Idol

Is that a Sonar thing or vista?

Think i started another trend with the pics too
Old 22nd September 2008 , 11:18 AM
Forum Scribe

Thumbs up

1.Name of the product and current version: Atmosphere

2.When you bought the product: Early 2006

3.Why you bought it: Needed to see what all the fuss was about and saw a short demo video with Eric Persing and was very impressed also I listened to a lovely collection of Atmosphere demos that really showed me what it was capable of. While I do like products that cover many areas I also like more focused products as well like Atmosphere.

4.How much did it cost? £160 -£180

5.Installation? Long process about 5 -6 CDís took about 20+ minutes. To be fair to Spectrasonics they do offer a DVD version in their shop but perhaps those should ship with the newer versions. (maybe they do now).

6.What do you like about?: Dreamy sounds. You really can just play it and not take time to make a track with it. Itís just a sonic journey for want of a better way of putting it. You can layer sounds as well. It has about 1000 presets which can be swapped out and combined so you could easily double that number with little effort.

7.What donít you like about it?: No sample import.

8.Any improvements?: DVD installation. Vista support.

9.How does it compare to similar products? There are quite a few libraries out there that have pad sounds e.t.c but Atmosphere is the kind of very specific, focused product that has such attention to detail...the only thing that is better IMO is Omnisphere.

10.Would you buy it again? No. Discontinued now. Omnisphere would be my next step.

11.Copy protection?: Challenge and Response

12.Pros and cons summary : Super product. Should be much easier to install though. Not just for pads it also has lovely presets for Strings, Synths and Basses. Top draw. Would prefer a simple serial instead of challenge and response.

13. Rating: 4 out of 5
Old 22nd September 2008 , 11:20 AM
Forum Scribe

Thumbs up

1.Name of the product and current version. Trilogy

3.Why you bought it: I was very curious about a single product for Bass. The reviews were glowing pretty much everywhere I read.

4.How much did it cost? £130 – £140 ish

5.Installation? Lengthy. About 4 – 5 discs to use. Took about 20+ minutes.

6.What do you like about it?: Lovely Bass sounds that sit very well in a mix. Eric Persing knows his craft and his Roland background shows as the sounds are very well crafted indeed. I like the categorisation of the presets as well. Trilogy does not only cover one type of bass sound but three...Synth Bass, Electric bass and Acoustic bass. You can even combine anyone of those three bass types for really unique sounds.

7.What don’t you like about it?: Installation process. No sample import.

8.Any improvements : Official Vista support. (although it does very well work on Vista).

9.How does it compare to similar products?: I am sure there are other Bass products out there but for me this is the best. I get the feeling Eric enjoyed creating it as much as his customers enjoy playing it.

10.Would you buy it again?: Yes but...a new STEAM engine based version, (has been hinted at) so I would be very interested in some sort of upgrade of the current version.

11.Pros and cons summary?: It’s great to have such a focused VSTi, it really does cover so much ground for bass. It’s a joy to play and professional sounds are easy to get. Easier installation would be appreciated.

12.Copy Protection: Challenge and response

13.Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Last edited by Monarch; 22nd September 2008 at 11:31 AM. . <
Old 22nd September 2008 , 11:22 AM
Forum Scribe

Thumbs up

1.Name of the product and current version: Stylus RMX
...(not to be confused with RMX Xpanded which includes additonal Spectrasonics expanders. (Click image to see)

3.Why you bought it: Heard so much about it and was extremely impressed with the MP3 demos I heard.

4.How much did it cost? £128

5.Installation? Very long. About 20minutes +. The problem is not so much putting the DVD in and starting the installer, itís just a very fragmented process. You have copy .db files to a certain location and you must get it right or RMX simply will not find the Mutliís it needs to do what it does.

Really this whole process should be taken care of by Spectrasonics Installer with no need for a user to manually do it. A really good installer should allow you to decide where to place a large library of sounds (which this does) but...also take care of everything else.

6.What do you like about it? :Auto sync with Hosts tempo. Edit groups..which allow you to put a reverb on just a snare in a loop for instance. Easy drag and drop REX import which effectively turns it into massively powerful drum sampler as well. 10,000 sounds and about 250 drum kits, a truly superb collection of 27 FX. Fantastic set of Video tutorials.

7.What donít you like about it?. Bringing up multiís or grooves can take a bit of time. Not instant even on a quad core with 8GB of ram. Installation needs to be simplified.

8. Any improvements?: A built in Step Sequencer would be nice. Drag and drop of ACID files would be welcome. A mini arranger built in. More FX slots.

9.How does it compare to similar products?: Stands alone really. There are other drum products like GURU but itís different but also a highly creative tool.

10.Would you buy it again? Definitely yes, but I think I might go for RMX expanded instead.

11.Copy protection: Challenge and response.

12.Pros and cons summary: A dream VSTi for drums. Utterly incredible especially when you get into Edit groups as that is really 75% of what makes RMX unique. I would prefer a simple serial no. for copy protection. While Challenge and response is used, that system has worked well so far.
Fantastic software overall.

13. Rating 4.75 out of 5
Old 22nd September 2008 , 12:20 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelan View Post
This is where you can have your track playing and from some reason a red light shows up in the lower part of the window and the audio stops and the track stops playing.

"If SONAR suddenly stops producing audio during recording or playback followed by the appearance of a red dropout indicator light, you've very likely experienced a dropout. Sometimes instead of a dropout, you may experience a stutter during playback (a small section of audio repeats itself once or twice before normal playback resumes). Or, you may occasionally experience a glitch or pop during audio playback (a brief interruption or clicking noise is heard, but audio playback then continues normally from that point)." - Cakewalk Support

The following link give some info.
Audio has Unexpectedly Dropped Out
Yes. That is the problem. It is a bit like having a super car that has one single dodgy component that can spoil the show. Maybe an even better analogy is F1 cars that fail at some point in a critical race because of one small problematic component.

I reduced the playback buffer I/O size to 128 and all my dropouts simply stopped. But...at times I could still get a drop out when using the Loop explorer to preview loops during a busy project.

I think experimentation with buffers is the safest way to get Sonar to avoid drop outs, drivers and hardrive configurations come into play as well.

The only thing I would probably not advise people to do (at least not initially) is item 6 in that link sphelan. I agree with the first part...(making sure nothing else is running if Sonar is running) although really I can run any other music software (with other software running, internet e.t.c) and not even need to worry about that.

It's the second part I do not agree with as the potential for a costly mistake being made there is potentially very high. One should never need to go to MSCONFIG to get consistent playback in a host.??!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno
Is that a Sonar thing or vista?
Sonar. IMO.

If you tweak Vista safely you should be absolutely fine. Based on my experience (almost two years with Vista) anyway.

Every other software package I run on Vista avoids the consistency of drop outs I have come up against in Sonar. Just to clarify it's not really an issue for me now, but it does still break up the creative process from time to time.

Strangely one can use Cyclone and never have a drop out. That DXi is somehow hardcoded in such a way as to avoid drop outs when used in Sonar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno
Think i started another trend with the pics too
Heh.

I was going to add more details to the initial guidelines but was wary of putting people off with too much detail to start with. Even my initial Sonar 7 review (revised now) followed the guidelines very loosely.

The User reviews so far have followed the guidelines so well and have been written *very* nicely (with users adding a bit of their personality into it even) that adding a few more aspects (not too many) is a good idea I think.

The two I will add are Ratings (which you suggested sureno) and Copy Protection which I think is a very big deal for many. Some potential buyers do not want to have to deal with a dongle which is one of the key reasons Apple dropped the dongle from Logic Studio. It certainly has not hurt the sales of it since then

Funnily enough I have seen many complaints on Apples forum about Audio dropouts even on 8 core machines! So maybe it is a case of software (MAC or PC) that was not really built for real time usage but getting there slowly with each upgrade.
Old 22nd September 2008 , 02:11 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarch View Post
Yes. That is the problem. It is a bit like having a super car that has one single dodgy component that can spoil the show. Maybe an even better analogy is F1 cars that fail at some point in a critical race because of one small problematic component.

I reduced the playback buffer I/O size to 128 and all my dropouts simply stopped. But...at times I could still get a drop out when using the Loop explorer to preview loops during a busy project.

I think experimentation with buffers is the safest way to get Sonar to avoid drop outs, drivers and hardrive configurations come into play as well.

The only thing I would probably not advise people to do (at least not initially) is item 6 in that link sphelan. I agree with the first part...(making sure nothing else is running if Sonar is running) although really I can run any other music software (with other software running, internet e.t.c) and not even need to worry about that.

It's the second part I do not agree with as the potential for a costly mistake being made there is potentially very high. One should never need to go to MSCONFIG to get consistent playback in a host.??!?!

Sonar. IMO.

If you tweak Vista safely you should be absolutely fine. Based on my experience (almost two years with Vista) anyway.

Every other software package I run on Vista avoids the consistency of drop outs I have come up against in Sonar. Just to clarify it's not really an issue for me now, but it does still break up the creative process from time to time.

Strangely one can use Cyclone and never have a drop out. That DXi is somehow hardcoded in such a way as to avoid drop outs when used in Sonar.

Heh.

I was going to add more details to the initial guidelines but was wary of putting people off with too much detail to start with. Even my initial Sonar 7 review (revised now) followed the guidelines very loosely.

The User reviews so far have followed the guidelines so well and have been written *very* nicely (with users adding a bit of their personality into it even) that adding a few more aspects (not too many) is a good idea I think.

The two I will add are Ratings (which you suggested sureno) and Copy Protection which I think is a very big deal for many. Some potential buyers do not want to have to deal with a dongle which is one of the key reasons Apple dropped the dongle from Logic Studio. It certainly has not hurt the sales of it since then

Funnily enough I have seen many complaints on Apples forum about Audio dropouts even on 8 core machines! So maybe it is a case of software (MAC or PC) that was not really built for real time usage but getting there slowly with each upgrade.
Excellent idea of copy protection, this is extremely important, well to those who make the effort and buy their software, in addition to the review formats should be included: Au, Vst, DX, RTAS etc i know majority are universal but then some are not Au or vst i can think of a fair few of the top of my head. also what you say about Mac vs PC again a very valid point! e.g take Atmosphere, i have atmosphere. had it on my PC to begin with then when i got shot of that put it on my Mac how ever it runs via a wrapper on my intel Mac which in my opinion degrades performance, not by much but it does so stuff like that would be crucial for future investors. again Monarch very nice work of initiative man loving the style
Old 22nd September 2008 , 02:18 PM
Forum Scribe

1.Name of the product and current version:Dimemsion Pro

2.When you bought the product: About 2 years ago

3.Why you bought it: Huge spread of sounds. Had already heard what it could do with the lesser version included in Project 5 v.2 (Dimension).

4.How much did it cost?: P5 owner special Upgrade - £59

5.Installation?: Two DVD's took about 20 minutes to install 8GB or so. Not bad.

6.What do you like about it?: Lovely sounds, with a truly and extremely broad set of sounds. Anything from pads, synth basses and leads to real basses, guitars, Strings and plenty of very Omnisphere like strange sounds as well. About 1000 presets to start. Rex and Wav import.

7.What donít you like about it?. No graphical edit of samples.

8. Any improvements?: SFZ graphical editor would be nice.

9.How does it compare to similar products?: It may sound strange but Omnisphere is pretty close....another sample based synth. Dimension Pro sounds are as diverse as pretty much any VSTi. Only Omnisphere I would say is more diverse but that does not have real strings or real brass samples like Dimension Pro does.

10.Would you buy it again?: Yes.

11.Copy protection: Reg serial

12.Pros and cons summary: Very simple to use and the sounds are top quality. The are many variations on offer here including spilts and layers. Would like to see graphical editing make an appearance. I like the free expansion packs 1&2 you get (700 odd patches). The patches are superb. Have a listen...

13. Rating 4.25 out of 5.
Old 22nd September 2008 , 02:21 PM
Forum Scribe

Thumbs up

1.Name of the product and current version: Rapture

2.When you bought the product: 2006

3.Why you bought it: There was a real shortage of Cakewalk synths at the time and this looked really different to most offerings out there.

4.How much did it cost?: £99

5.Installation?: Easy quick install 5 mins maybe more.

6.What do you like about it?: You can layer up to 6 different sounds. Sample import. You can very quickly and easily multiply each oscillator 9 time across the stereo field. In usage it sounds great. It really does give a phat sound.

7.What donít you like about it?. Some installation issues on x64.

8. Any improvements?: Not many. Maybe a way to graphically edit samples.

9.How does it compare to similar products?: Similar to Dimension but I see it as a maybe a bigger brother. Deeper synthesis options.

10.Would you buy it again?: Yes.

11.Copy protection: Reg serial

12.Pros and cons summary:

Sounds great. The presets are very diverse although they are more on the edgy side. You get about 600 to 800 to start with but can download another 700 or so with free expansion packs.

13. Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Last edited by Monarch; 22nd September 2008 at 10:08 PM. . <
Old 22nd September 2008 , 02:45 PM
Forum Idol

1.Name of the product and current version: Tone2 Gladiator 1.2.2

2.When you bought the product: May 2008

3.Why you bought it: Birthday and liked the demo

4.How much did it cost?: £111.56 ex VAT

5.Installation?: simple run file, 5min job

6.What do you like about it?: very deep synthesis options, lovely sounds (vengeance) and very well laid out for a beginner in my opinion

7.What donít you like about it?: CPU spikes (audible) on changing presets, few bugs still in it to be worked out

8. Any improvements?: just iron out the bugs

9.How does it compare to similar products?: as far as synths go it is a lovely sounding bit of kit, fairly cheap too

10.Would you buy it again?: yes

11.Copy protection: Keyfile with serial number, watermark, no dongle required

12.Platforms: Mac & Pc. VST & AU. Download only

13.Licence: All licenses are cross platform. You buy a license once and can use the product on both platforms: MAC and PC

14.Pros and cons summary: excellent sounds, easy to use and once they iron out all the kinks this will not really have a downside

15. Rating: 4 out of 5
Last edited by sureno; 16th October 2008 at 07:13 PM. . <