DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Artist & Member Forum > User Reviews
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

User Reviews Drop in & Check out 'real world' user reviews on some top pro-audio gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd September 2008 , 03:11 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
Excellent idea of copy protection, this is extremely important, well to those who make the effort and buy their software, in addition to the review formats should be included: Au, Vst, DX, RTAS etc i know majority are universal but then some are not Au or vst i can think of a fair few of the top of my head. also what you say about Mac vs PC again a very valid point! e.g take Atmosphere, i have atmosphere. had it on my PC to begin with then when i got shot of that put it on my Mac how ever it runs via a wrapper on my intel Mac which in my opinion degrades performance, not by much but it does so stuff like that would be crucial for future investors. again Monarch very nice work of initiative man loving the style
Formats yes nice idea! I'll add that as well. I like the License idea as that provides a bit more info that many would be interested in. I think I would add another...

...the license idea you added to the Gladiator review could be extended further... how many licenses per PC or MAC, also if the Product License can be transferred.

Just to summarise the recent additions...

Ratings

Licence
a.Transfers allowed?
b.How many, per (PC or MAC)

Format PC or MAC

Copy Protection

I would stress to anyone reading that you can pick any of the 15 or so points for a review. You do not need to fill them all in.

I will update the other User review threads later.
Monarch is offline Offline
Old 22nd September 2008 , 03:28 PM
Forum Idol

Here is a rough idea to a template for all you lazier members, all you need to do people is fill it out and add a pic if you wish simply copy and paste, bare in mind the bold characters and italics will have to be redone. Sorry if im stepping on your toes Monarch, feel free to copy this and put it in your first post for people to see?

1.Name of the product and current version:

2.When you bought the product:

3.Why you bought it:

4.How much did it cost:

5.Installation:

6.What do you like about it:

7.What donít you like about it:

8. Any improvements:

9.How does it compare to similar products:

10.Would you buy it again:

11.Copy protection:

12.PC or MAC:

13.Format:

14.Licence:
a.Transfers allowed:
b.How many, per (PC or MAC):

15.Pros and cons summary:

15. Rating:
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Last edited by sureno; 22nd September 2008 at 03:32 PM. . <
Old 22nd September 2008 , 04:25 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
Here is a rough idea to a template for all you lazier members, all you need to do people is fill it out and add a pic if you wish simply copy and paste, bare in mind the bold characters and italics will have to be redone. Sorry if im stepping on your toes Monarch, feel free to copy this and put it in your first post for people to see?
Cheers sureno,

No don't worry, I would not say "stepping on my toes" but I did say (above this post)...

"I will update the other User review threads later."

Meaning I will add the new suggested bullet point guidelines. I also have to ammend it for hardware as the lists cannot be identical for hardware but I already have the revised lists and just need to post them to each of the User review threads (in each forum) as not all forum members will read this thread but might only browse the forum relevant to them for instance Pro audio.

Please keep your suggestions coming sureno, but I just cannot type as fast as you mate! Heh

Also I am still browsing the forum trying to catch up with some of the threads posted before I got here. I still have not found the time to properly introduce myself in the "Introducing" forum and update my profile... this forum is refreshingly busy and buzzing
Old 22nd September 2008 , 04:44 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarch View Post
Cheers sureno,

No don't worry, I would not say "stepping on my toes" but I did say (above this post)...

"I will update the other User review threads later."

Meaning I will add the new suggested bullet point guidelines. I also have to ammend it for hardware as the lists cannot be identical for hardware but I already have the revised lists and just need to post them to each of the User review threads (in each forum) as not all forum members will read this thread but might only browse the forum relevant to them for instance Pro audio.

Please keep your suggestions coming sureno, but I just cannot type as fast as you mate! Heh

Also I am still browsing the forum trying to catch up with some of the threads posted before I got here. I still have not found the time to properly introduce myself in the "Introducing" forum and update my profile... this forum is refreshingly busy and buzzing
my fingers are like sausages on steroids from the extra work out
i did my macbook review but a computer section is vital i think i mean the majority use one, i will suggest it in forum suggestion section
Old 22nd September 2008 , 05:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Edit:

1.Name of the product: Logic Studio 8

7.Dislikes: the fact audio editing is destructive
8.Any improvements you would like to suggest: Non destructive audio editing
I'm pretty sure Logic's audio editing is non-destructive Paul.. Especially with access to the undo history is it not..?
Old 22nd September 2008 , 05:11 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by modz1 View Post
I'm pretty sure Logic's audio editing is non-destructive Paul.. Especially with access to the undo history is it not..?
not in 8, you have to save a new region, if you make changes to a piece of audio it will permanently edit the source
Old 22nd September 2008 , 06:23 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
my fingers are like sausages on steroids from the extra work out
LOL!

Quote:
i did my macbook review but a computer section is vital i think i mean the majority use one, i will suggest it in forum suggestion section
Yes by all means suggest it
Old 22nd September 2008 , 07:06 PM
Forum Scribe

1.Name of the product and current version: z3ta+

2. When you bought the product:
At least two years ago.

3. Why you bought it:
It was and remains a classic synth for many and sounded unique based on my own demos. It was also highly rated in magazines.
4. How much did it cost: Less than £100
5. Installation / Setup: Easy, a few minutes.
6. What do you like about it?: I can use it as a VSTi or VST FX. It has a really unique sound. It is almost like a cutting or edgy sound. Offers oversampling. Arpeggiator
7. What donít you like about it?. The preset categorisations are a bit here and there. The categorisation is really just not there. Can make it difficult to choose sounds.
8. Any improvements: Better Preset categorisation.
9. Comparison to similar products: Donít know why but it does genuinely sound different to Rapture and Dimension for instance.
10.Would you buy it again: Well no. But only because it is now bundled with Sonar.
11.Licence:
a. Transfers allowed? Not any more. Was allowed with RGC.
b. How many, per (PC or MAC) One AFAICT
12. Format (PC or MAC): PC only for now.
13.Copy protection:
Serial no
14. Pros and cons summary: Great, big sound that can cut through a mix very nicely. FX version has a really nice set of FX and one can simply browse though the synth presets to easily get a huge variety of sound processing variations.

15. Rating: 4.8 out of 5
Old 22nd September 2008 , 08:06 PM
Forum Idol

1.Name of the product and current version: Soundtoys Native Effects v3.03
(Crystallizer, Echoboy, FilterFreak, PhaseMistress, Tremolator and Speed(PT only)

2.When you bought the product: Q2 2008

3.Why you bought it: Heard Rave reviews and every one was talking soundtoys

4.How much did it cost: £285.99

5.Installation: Now the juicy bit, ST where initially released with a dodgey installer disk, so first attempt simply didn't work so had to download from the web site. after that install went smoothly.

6.What do you like about it: the effects are unique and to be quite frank weird as they come, i mean crystalizer???

7.What donít you like about it: I didn't like the authorization process, i had to insert a SIM card into my iLok, at first i wasn't sure which way to insert the SIM? also ST doesn't come with a hard copy guide in the boxed edition

8. Any improvements: start printing manuals!!!

9.How does it compare to similar products: well for the effects that are comparable these products are amongst the higher end plugs, they have a lovely warm sound to them

10.Would you buy it again: yes

11.Copy protection: iLok

12.PC or MAC: Mac at the moment, PC soon to come as many of you know already

13.Format: Au, RTAS, Audiosuite

14.Licence:
a.Transfers allowed: yes
b.How many, per (PC or MAC): take your soundtoys where ever your iLok is

Six professional effects with the warm analog sound of professional studio gear. install trickier than usual plugin but not overly hard and no hard manual

15. Rating: 4/5
Old 22nd September 2008 , 08:26 PM
Forum Idol

1.Name of the product and current version: Propellerhead ReCycle 2.1 Intel Mac compatible

3.Why you bought it: To be able to create REX files for sampling

4.How much did it cost: £134.99

5.Installation: Problematic on my Mac, had to repair disk permissions before install, i had to search F.A.Q's at the PH website because it simply said i wasn't authorized to install on this account when i knew i was, i was new to Mac and found this baffling but all's good now

6.What do you like about it: Well it's easy to use and produce REX files its also good for BPM counting and it can export your REX file as seperate WAV. or AIFF.

7.What donít you like about it: Doesn't read MP3's

8. Any improvements: Read MP3's

9.How does it compare to similar products: To my knowledge this is the only app out there for REX

10.Would you buy it again: Yes i consider it an essential purchase

11.Copy protection: License and Registration numbers

12.PC or MAC: Both

13.Format: Stand alone

14.Licence:
a.Transfers allowed: Yes on Desktop and lap top

No real bad points, see what is does for yourself

15. Rating: 5/5
Old 22nd September 2008 , 10:05 PM
Forum Scribe

Nice touch with the you tube videos sureno!!!
Old 22nd September 2008 , 10:26 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarch View Post
Nice touch with the you tube videos sureno!!!
always trying to evolve
Old 23rd September 2008 , 12:31 AM
Forum Idol

1.Name of the product and current version: Bias Peak Pro v6.03

2.When you bought the product: Q3 2008

3.Why you bought it: I wanted a replacement for Sony Soundforge on a Mac

4.How much did it cost: £359.99

5.Installation: Very easy and quick

6.What do you like about it: Its easy to use and has lots of great functionalities for easy editing inc the playlist DDP export, an excellent metatag edit function and its nicely layed out

7.What don’t you like about it: It seems to be quite temperamental some times freezing and bugging out

8. Any improvements: Hopefully future updates will improve stability

9.How does it compare to similar products: I would say its the closest program on a Mac to Soundforge but not quite as efficient and stable

10.Would you buy it again: reluctently if im to be honest but only if there isn't a better software out

11.Copy protection: serial

12.PC or MAC: Mac only

13.Format: Stand alone

14.Licence: Use it on multiple computers but only 1 instance to be run at a time

15.Pros and cons summary: Over all a good editor, not as good as soundforge but then us Mac users haven't got the privilege to do so, can be buggy but workable

15. Rating: 4/5
www.myspace.com/djsureno
Old 23rd September 2008 , 07:07 AM
Costa Del Cool

Impressive posts guys! I think companies should pay us or DV for all the advertising we are doing for them!!!
sphelan is offline Offline
Old 25th September 2008 , 01:18 AM
Forum Idol

1.Name of the product and current version: Arturia V collection - Minimoog v, cs-80v, prophet v, Moog modular v, Arp 2600v and Jupiter 8v

3.Why you bought it: Wanted some Go to synths for my new Mac

4.How much did it cost: £379.99

5.Installation: Pretty straight forward but updates to jupiter and prophet v where awkward for me having to delete certain components etc before running the installer

6.What do you like about it: A huge spectrum of sounds, good emulations of vintage gear and this package is extreme value for money

7.What donít you like about it: Ok even though they have lovely sounds, every single synth has varying degrees of issues and bug's varying from extremely minor bugs such as some presets are really low in volume even when turned up all the way to annoying show stoppers such as can cause crashes. For the amount of time these synths have been out they should be 99% by now. they seem to appear stagnant on the update front but who knows whats going on behind the scenes im just saying the impression i get from visiting their forum found here:
Arturia Forums

8. Any improvements: just get these synths rock solid

9.How does it compare to similar products: they may appear dated to some of the synths out today (maybe not jupiter)

10.Would you buy it again: Hard question to answer to be honest, depends what is on offer at the time really so i think you can make out im either or on this one

11.Copy protection: all challenge response except for jupiter which is a syncrosoft dongle

12.PC or MAC: Both inc Intel UB Mac

13.Format: All

14.Licence: Use at any 1 time

15.Pros and cons summary: great value for money, huge range of sounds but may sound dated and they can be very buggy

15. Rating: 3.75/5

Mini Moog

Moog Modular v

Arp 2600v

Jupiter 8v

Prophet v

CS-80v