DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Artist & Member Forum > User Reviews
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

User Reviews Drop in & Check out 'real world' user reviews on some top pro-audio gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd September 2008 , 09:59 PM
Forum Scribe

Thumbs up

Thanks for the review Frank!

@Trev...

We clearly have different views (although I would say we actually 100% agree on the concept but it's the execution of it that we have different views on) but in any case that can be a good thing as we can learn from each other or simply respect each others view and agree to disagree.

It does not need to get nasty or edgy. That is not why I joined this forum. Far from it. I have actually been reading through some of your posts and think your contributions have been really great.

I am really looking forward to getting some tips and advice on hardware in general which seems to one of your areas of expertise.

But first let me just totally take the blame for any offence you feel and anything else I have done to upset you. I really just want to move things forward here and I am quite happy to offer a 100% apology for any confusion, offence. Anything done, Trev. Total apology on offer here.

Can we move on and shake hands on that please?

I have seen many relationships on forums that could offer so much if allowed to grow (and combine efforts) get totally shredded over a simple misunderstanding that somehow gets escalated. Wrong start, or comment here or there or something just taken out of context e.t.c

Sorry mate!

Shake hands?
Monarch is offline Offline
Old 22nd September 2008 , 10:06 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarch View Post
Thanks for the review Frank!

@Trev...

We clearly have different views (although I would say we actually 100% agree on the concept but it's the execution of it that we have different views on) but in any case that can be a good thing as we can learn from each other or simply respect each others view and agree to disagree.

It does not need to get nasty or edgy. That is not why I joined this forum. Far from it. I have actually been reading through some of your posts and think your contributions have been really great.

I am really looking forward to getting some tips and advice on hardware in general which seems to one of your areas of expertise.

But first let me just totally take the blame for any offence you feel and anything else I have done to upset you. I really just want to move things forward here and I am quite happy to offer a 100% apology for any confusion, offence. Anything done, Trev. Total apology on offer here.

Can we move on and shake hands on that please?

I have seen many relationships on forums that could offer so much if allowed to grow (and combine efforts) get totally shredded over a simple misunderstanding that somehow gets escalated. Wrong start, or comment here or there or something just taken out of context e.t.c

Sorry mate!

Shake hands?
Go on Trev
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 22nd September 2008 , 10:07 PM
Mic Check 1!

There you go assuming again. When you assume you make an ass out of you and me (ass/u/me).
(for the avoidance of doubt this is intended to be a joke)

I'm not in the least upset and I don't think we were disagreeing. (though ever so slightly miffed that you relegate my strength to knowing some stuff about hardware - I thought my strength was recording and mixing/production techniques but just shows how subjective this all is eh... )Now can I go back to my vocal edits and stop being bothered by more interesting debate please?

Last edited by TrevCircleStudios; 22nd September 2008 at 10:14 PM. . Reason: lame attempt at humour <
Old 22nd September 2008 , 10:48 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
There you go assuming again. When you assume you make an ass out of you and me (ass/u/me).
(for the avoidance of doubt this is intended to be a joke)

I'm not in the least upset and I don't think we were disagreeing. (though ever so slightly miffed that you relegate my strength to knowing some stuff about hardware - I thought my strength was recording and mixing/production techniques but just shows how subjective this all is eh... )Now can I go back to my vocal edits and stop being bothered by more interesting debate please?

Cheers Trev!

I do need to spend more time on the Techniques sub forums. I have seen some of your posts on hardware but I guess I really need to have a good look at the Techniques sub forums if that is where you usually hang out. I am missing some serious tips.

I just have not had the time...been whizzing around the other forums trying to catch up with stuff posted before I arrived. The hardware reference I made was a genuine compliment based on a thread you started and a superb image to go with it in your second post.

Anyway I need to see whats happening on the Techniques forum LOL! I am missing a lot if you are posting there.

Thanks for the reply...Trev
Old 6th October 2008 , 03:46 PM
Forum Scribe

Default Dt 100

1. Name of the product and current version: Beyerdynamic DT100

2. When you bought the product: At least 18 months ago.

3. Why you bought it: Needed a pair of prefessional quality studio headphones.

4. How much did it cost: About £89.99

5. Installation / Setup: Straight forward. Just plug it in. No drivers were needed.

6. What do you like about it?: Great feel. Closed back design to avoid audio spill.

7. What donít you like about it?. The inner coating or foam started to peel before long. Might just be my set of DT100's. Thought they would last a bit longer than that. The headphones remain fully functional so it's nit pick but it did surprise me.

8. Any improvements: Build quality but a minor issue.

9. Comparison to similar products: I did have a pair of Sennheisers that were much more bass heavy. I think there is another set of DT headphones that might give a similar output but in any case the DT100's are great for Studio work.

10.Would you buy it again: Yes. Might also get another different model of DT's to go with it though.

11. Pros and cons summary: Seen it in so many Studio pics and it clearly is used in most studio's AFAICT. Slight issue with the build but it might have just been my set of headphones.

12. Rating:4 out of 5
Old 6th October 2008 , 07:50 PM
Chilled to the 'bone

Default Phonic HELIX BOARD 18 Firewire MKII

1. Name of the product and current version:
Phonic HELIX BOARD18 Firewire MKII

2. When you bought the product:
May 2008

3. Why you bought it:
Needed both audio interface and mixer

4. How much did it cost:
360Ä

5. Installation / Setup:
Works as an firewire-audiointerface in home studio connected to 20" Imac running logic studio and as a live mixer for trio playing pop/rock.

6. What do you like about it?:
First when I plugged the firewire cable to mac, logic just popped up a window asking if I would like to use Phonic audio interface. Click yes. Installed.
After that it was easy to choose inputs in logic and start recording.
I found Phonic to be extremely low noise.
Built in 32/40 bit effects prosessor sounds better than my Behringer virtualizer I like basic reverbs to be good enough for live situations in pub's etc.

What donít you like about it?.
Would like to have more than 2 outputs

8. Any improvements: -

9. Comparison to similar products:
I had to make my decision between Alesis Multimix and Phonic I read many reviews on Alesis all saying something about buggy drivers. I haven't had single problem with drivers.

10.Would you buy it again:
Absolutely, that and Logic makes the heart of my home studio

11. Pros and cons summary:
+Installation couldn't be easier
+Effects are good quality
+Comes with rack mounts
+Price
+pre/post selectors for eq
+Low noise

-Only 2 outputs
-Knobs could be somewhat sturdier (haven't had any problems though)
-At the time I bought it couldn't find reviews or enough info and couldn't find it in any local store to check it out before buying.

12. Rating:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 46830_p.jpg (23.1 KB, 1 views)
trbguy is offline Offline
Old 7th October 2008 , 09:03 AM
Forum Scribe

Thanks for the review trbguy, also an equally big thanks to other forum members for all the existing User reviews there are over 50 of them so far
Old 7th October 2008 , 10:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks for the review trbguy, also an equally big thanks to other forum members for all the existing User reviews there are over 50 of them so far
Well said Monarch..
Old 7th October 2008 , 07:39 PM
Son of 'Z'

Tannoy Reveal 6D Active Monitors

January 2008 (I think)

3. Why you bought it:
Needed some decent monitors. Was impressed with the model below (5A passive) that were being used in a uni project studio. I got them for £275 of a friend, which was a bargain back then.

4. How much did it cost:
They now retail for around £365 a pair.

5. Installation / Setup:
Fairly simple.

Excellent built quality.
DIP corrective eq circuits.
Detailed imaging
Analogue & Digital(spdif connections)
Can handle signals upto 96Khz. Handy for DVD/Hidef audio.
Active design with matched internal Amp. I have nothing against passive designs, its just a personal pref.

What donít you like about it?.
The mute button is the tannoy logo below the drive. It' a bit misleading, and feels a bit flimsy.
The power on off button is in quite a position that might be difficult to reach in some instances. Would have been better to mount it on the side, rather then the back.

8. Any improvements: -
Not really. They are a nice bit of kit ! Actually I have one. Tannoy should give you this software for free.
Tannoy Activ Assist Room Measurement Tool at DV247.COM

It would make setting them up for accurate monitoring a lot easier.

There are a lot of comparable products in this price range. Mackie MR5 and MR8, Yamaha HS80M, Samson Resolv A5, KRK RP8 and RP8G2 and Genelec 6010A are all very close.
The Mackie's come with the reputation of their more expensive products, but I've not heard them for long enough to comment. I have heard the Yamaha's, and found them to be a bit over keen at the bottom end. The KRK's are nice, but I was advised against them on the grounds of issues with build and reliability. The Samsons are an excellent alternative, they're a bit brighter in the middle. The Genelecs have to be seen and heard to be believed. They don't go as deeo as the Tannoy's ,but their size is incredible. They are incredibly punchy and detailed. They would be my alternative at this price point.

Probably yes, but these Genelec's are soooo tempting !

11. Pros and cons summary:
+Good entry level introduction to professional and reputable monitoring systems.
+Excellent features and connectivity for the price.
+detailed and clean sounding

- None really. I'm really happy with them. I jsust wish they gave you that software as part of the system.

12. Rating:
8.5/10
EdRyan is offline Offline
Old 7th October 2008 , 09:08 PM
Forum Idol

Ed have you got a bigger pic, can't quite make them out
Old 8th October 2008 , 05:10 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
Ed have you got a bigger pic, can't quite make them out
You jest of course, yes the image is large but Ed's write up is excellent... thanks Ed
Old 8th October 2008 , 05:16 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
You jest of course, yes the image is large but Ed's write up is excellent... thanks Ed
as always but great rev, they all are tbh
Old 10th October 2008 , 11:13 AM
Chilled to the 'bone

Default Jts nx-8

JTX-NX8 Vocal microphone

June 2008

3. Why you bought it:
I was going to buy Shure sm58 beta when I saw stand of microphones to test and tested both mics and blown away by the sound of this made in Taiwan 50Ä mic. Really rugged construction. Came with good padded pouch.

4. How much did it cost:
50Ä

5. What do you like about it?:
Really hot signal, low handling noise for prize of lousy karaoke mic

6. What donít you like about it?.
DV doesn't sell those

7. Comparison to similar products:
I tested several mics at the time handling noises are at the same level as in Shure beta 58, but somewhat higher frequency. Little less proxymity effect compared to Shure which I like a lot.

8.Would you buy it again:
Yes, and maybe a second one in near future
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jts nx8_250.jpg (24.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 10th October 2008 , 11:47 AM
Chilled to the 'bone

Default Audio Technica ATM350 Condenser mic

Audio Technica ATM350 Audio Technica ATM350 Condenser Clip-On Microphon at DV247.COM
Years ago
3. Why you bought it:
Needed good mic for live use for trombone
4. How much did it cost:
N/A
5. Installation / Setup:
Needs phamtom power, there is a clip to attach it to horns and drums etc..
Very lightweight, I can get the sound I want by changing the distance between trombone's bell and mic for example:when playing ballad I can but the mic almost inside the bell to get really smooth sound and play really soft or when playing some section stuff get it out of the way to be able to play loud. This really is important because of the lousy sound engineers, that way I can effect the sound coming out of the PA.
7. What donít you like about it?.
Can't be used without phantom power
8. Any improvements:
Not really
Many similar products use 9volt batteries and have a box to provide phantom, I like the freedom of not having anything inside my pocket.
Yes, this is my favourite piece of gear
11.Pros and cons summary:
+Lightweight
+Easy to position mic to alter sound
+/- Doesn't have a powersource
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34595_p.jpg (4.2 KB, 1 views)
Old 10th October 2008 , 12:59 PM
Forum Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdRyan View Post
Tannoy Reveal 6D Active Monitors

[Tannoy Activ Assist Room Measurement Tool at DV247.COM11. Pros and cons summary:
+Good entry level introduction to professional and reputable monitoring systems.
+Excellent features and connectivity for the price.
+detailed and clean sounding

- None really. I'm really happy with them. I jsust wish they gave you that software as part of the system.

12. Rating:
8.5/10
Have to agree with this assessment - I have the dual speaker one too - which gives a richer, deeper, less trebly sound. Clear as a bell these speakers.

Just to add to ed and all - quite often they are offered with tannoy assist -free.

You can download tannoy assist from their site - free - and use your own mic too, so in that sense, if you have your own mic, it's free.

I had fun with that. I had my mic preamp setting too low and consequently turned up the assist and nearly blew my head off with the sound. It sends out a rather loud noise for testing.