DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Technique > Tips 'n Tricks - General Production
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Tips 'n Tricks - General Production Whether a happy accident, or based on years of experience, find/post 'em here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th September 2008 , 01:10 PM
Administrator

I'd say not... with a 2% margin, definitely round it up..
Old 9th September 2008 , 01:29 PM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by modz1 View Post
I'd say not... with a 2% margin, definitely round it up..
This is what I did but when I set the bmp of the DAW to, say, 117, and import an accapella wav, the vocal shifts off the beat (logically). So what I did was cut the vocal up at various points to realign it. Does this sound like an acceptable procedure?
sphelan is offline Offline
Old 9th September 2008 , 03:01 PM
Administrator

From a previous post on this thread

Quote:
..you'll find your time-stretched vocal will be easier to work with throughout the time line if you cut it up into, say, verse and chorus snippets - so you're not depending too much on something staying 100% in time from beginning to end on a 3/4 minute performance
So, acceptable for sure Sphelan..
I cut vocals up into 2/4 bar sections sometimes, to give my own controlled interpretation of vocal delivery/timing .. power crazed beggar that I am..
Old 9th September 2008 , 03:23 PM
Forum Idol

would the amount of swing come into play too? i know some producers have for example the snares a few samples early etc also if the drum is live the bpm will vary do to human factors
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 9th September 2008 , 03:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
... also if the drum is live the bpm will vary do to human factors
Nope, the actual b.p.m. wont vary (unless of course you program in subtle tempo changes along the timeline - but not recommended for dance/club music!). The 'feel' of the groove will be a little less regimented and more 'organic' if you advance/offset things like snare hits, claps and 'certain' hi-hats.. DAW Groove quantize templates can be used as much as the individual note editing method.. Hmmmm.. maybe we need a new thread in 'Tips 'n Tricks'..?

Pretty much a golden rule though, keep that 4/4 kick drum solid and on the beat precisely..
Old 9th September 2008 , 03:50 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Nope, the actual b.p.m. wont vary (unless of course you program in subtle tempo changes along the timeline - but not recommended for dance/club music!). The 'feel' of the groove will be a little less regimented and more 'organic' if you advance/offset things like snare hits, claps and 'certain' hi-hats.. DAW Groove quantize templates can be used as much as the individual note editing method.. Hmmmm.. maybe we need a new thread in 'Tips 'n Tricks'..?

Pretty much a golden rule though, keep that 4/4 kick drum solid and on the beat precisely..
no i agree but what im saying is that if the drums are recorded in (say an old soul/ rare groove track) and not q'd the vocalist would time themselves to the drums and groove right? so then the vocals would seem a little off if layered with q'd drums in a remix so thats where cuts would have to be introduced or even the time stretch algo to re time the vox??? obviously not as experienced but just thought this to be the case
Old 9th September 2008 , 04:27 PM
Administrator

Cool, misunderstood you there.. but, yes, you're right on all counts in your last post..
Old 9th September 2008 , 04:32 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Cool, misunderstood you there.. but, yes, you're right on all counts in your last post..
few thought i might of had to use my get out of jail card there
Old 9th September 2008 , 06:55 PM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
From a previous post on this thread

So, acceptable for sure Sphelan..
I cut vocals up into 2/4 bar sections sometimes, to give my own controlled interpretation of vocal delivery/timing .. power crazed beggar that I am..
Thanks Modz1. Like I said I couldn't seem to find that thread...and Search didn't yield me any joy neither (sob, sob)
Old 10th September 2008 , 06:20 AM
Costa Del Cool

Default Coolio Remix

Since yesterday, I've been playing around a bit with the accapella of Coolio's Boyfriend that came on Sept issue of Computer Music. It's also available here Boyfriend - Coolio(only for competition ref forum) Acapella by traxnctrl - Hip Hop Acapellas And Vocal Samples - looperman.com.

The vocals are processed and I presume there is no way of undoing that.

But I was wondering what is recommendable in a situation like this. Leave the vocals as they are without further processing and just try some other techniques by chopping them up and using they rhythmically? Or can/should they be processed more?
Old 10th September 2008 , 09:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelan View Post
Edit:

The vocals are processed and I presume there is no way of undoing that.

But I was wondering what is recommendable in a situation like this. Leave the vocals as they are without further processing and just try some other techniques by chopping them up and using they rhythmically? Or can/should they be processed more?
It's quite irritating that if labels, magazines, websites etc want to make acapellas available for remixers to work with, then why do they lazily upload a comp'd vocal as the MP3 - all DT vox, BV's, harmonies etc are just run in one audio stream - which really restricts what can be done in post production
Anyway, there's no 'undoing' process for the above to 'demix' them or (to my knowledge) reverse any eq/compression already on.. It is what it is so to speak.. Yes, you can process them more but as always, let your ears be your guide!
So, chopping them up and experimenting is your first step (after, and aside from any global time stretching you may wish to do).
Old 10th September 2008 , 12:00 PM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
It's quite irritating that if labels, magazines, websites etc want to make acapellas available for remixers to work with, then why do they lazily upload a comp'd vocal as the MP3 - all DT vox, BV's, harmonies etc are just run in one audio stream - which really restricts what can be done in post production
Anyway, there's no 'undoing' process for the above to 'demix' them or (to my knowledge) reverse any eq/compression already on.. It is what it is so to speak.. Yes, you can process them more but as always, let your ears be your guide!
So, chopping them up and experimenting is your first step (after, and aside from any global time stretching you may wish to do).
I've done the global timestretching and then as things still don't always fall exactly on the beat, I've chopped and realigned. But is darn irritating that the vocals are so processed. I don't see how they want you to put your stamp on a tune when it is the vocal that stands out so much and is very limiting.
Old 10th September 2008 , 12:09 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelan View Post
I've done the global timestretching and then as things still don't always fall exactly on the beat, I've chopped and realigned. But is darn irritating that the vocals are so processed. I don't see how they want you to put your stamp on a tune when it is the vocal that stands out so much and is very limiting.
could always try re singing it dry
Old 10th September 2008 , 12:11 PM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
could always try re singing it dry
Me sing Collio? My white ass wouldn't no where ta start bro!
Old 10th September 2008 , 01:04 PM
Costa Del Cool

As people will have gathered by now, I am just starting to dip my toes into this remix and dance business. So I have lots of questions.

With so many genres to choose from - hip hop, house, techno, trance, trip hop etc etc etc - I wonder is there one genre that is more prominant in the area of remixing today? Or is it down to your own basic taste in music? I basically don't want to do a house remix of a track, for example, to find that house is now considered "old hat"! Can we choose to remix a track in any style or in several styles and still be "modern"?