DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Technique > Tips 'n Tricks - General Production
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Tips 'n Tricks - General Production Whether a happy accident, or based on years of experience, find/post 'em here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th January 2011 , 08:22 PM
gee

Default Conflicting bass and kick drum

Hi

I am currently writing a trance/break beat track but i am having problems with conflicting bass and kick drum frequencys im aware that they are both llying in the same range and the have done reserch and it seems that i can use a side chain comp to over come this...i am running cubase and im trying to set up the c1 side chain comp in waves which i have but for the life of me do u think i can set it up correctly so that my kick drum comes nicely thro my bass appregio mix.....without the slight farting of basses....i really am pulling out my hair as i always get stumped understanding compression....hope this makes sense to somebody in the know..any advise on setup or technique to over come this major headache would be greatley appriciated...BIG TIME

THANK YOU Gee
gee is offline Offline
Old 6th January 2011 , 10:48 PM
Uber Member

Use a kick sample on a track with no output bus as a trigger for the sidechain and put a tiny bit of track delay on it so it triggers earlier than the kick itself, then play with the attack and more importantly the release settings on the compressor (I've not used the waves c1, I just use the Cubase compressor for sidechaining). This generally gives it a bit more wiggle room than using the kick itself. Also a little bit of eq can go a long way when used with sidechaining, whack an analyser on both channels and take tiny notches out of one or the other.
Apologies if you have tried both these things already, other than changing one o the elements if they really won't work together I cannot be of any more help.
Old 7th January 2011 , 06:06 PM
gee

The only reason i was using the c1 is because it was the first side chain comp i cam across in my list....maybe ill try the cubase one too !
you make it sound easy and im sure it is when u know how !!! so im gonna go have a play over the weekend and see what happens...??

I do understand a little about the concept of compression but i does give me a right head ache.....just need to keep learning.

Thank u for getting back to me much appriciated !!

Gee
gee is offline Offline
Old 7th January 2011 , 07:59 PM
Uber Member

Quick easy description. Find a fairly short kick sample, put it on an audio track in Cubase to the rhythm of your kick and on the output of the channel (above the strip on the mixer) set it to 'no bus'.
On the bass put a compressor at the end of the insert list (assuming you want any processing to 'duck' with the sound, if not put it anywhere in the chain). If you are using the Cubase compressor click little icon next to the preset name box (labelled activate sidechain).
Now go back to the audio channel set to 'no bus' and in the sends section select sidechains>*name of bass track*_compressor.
Then your bass should duck out when the kick plays.

There are other ways, this is the simplest I think, and from here on out it's purely experimentation.

Good luck!
Old 8th January 2011 , 07:45 PM
Mic Check 1!

Its probably worth reading the thread on dealing with clashing frequencies. It will give you a bunch of tools for your toolkit