DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Technique > Tips 'n Tricks - General Production
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Tips 'n Tricks - General Production Whether a happy accident, or based on years of experience, find/post 'em here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd September 2010 , 02:30 AM

Default Subwoofer radiation patterns

I have been searching around and can't seem to find a good answer.

My question/problem is that I find that my two 15 subwoofers radiate most of their bass from the sides rather than in front. Can anyone help understand what arrangement will reverse that or balance it?

I set up in many different size/types of rooms and always try to place the subs in a corner, but most times find that I am the one hearing most of the bass instead of my audience as I am usually operating along one of the walls that may be adjacent with the sub.

It just seems like the bass follows along the walls of the room.
djme is offline Offline
Old 22nd September 2010 , 06:25 AM
Mic Check 1!

Yup, that's right. physics 101. Bass waves are very big indeed and are emphasised in corners and on Walls. It's not that they can't be heard anywhere else in the room (unless you are in a small room on which see below). It's just that they are not being emphasised elsewhere in the room. There isn't a damn thing you can do about it (if you are in a big room you could buy more pwerful subs to raise the bass volume overall. If you are in a small room and do that it may have no effect if the bass waves begin to cancel each other out.
Old 23rd September 2010 , 09:10 AM

Hey thanks for the reply TrevCircleStudios.

I guess I was hoping for a clever tip to help me overcome the issue. Another source suggested placing the subs midway along opposite walls or using 4 subs instead of 2. Not sure what the placement of the 4 would be, I am assuming midway along 4 walls or in 4 corners.

These of course may be better for a permanent install in a more square room, but probably pretty impractical for my mobile operation.

Anyhow, thanks for your thoughts.
djme is offline Offline
Old 23rd September 2010 , 11:04 AM
Mic Check 1!

Where you can set up so they aren't next to walls. Also try and set up so they are facing down the longest lenghth. Other than that careful EQ-ing the room ( a dbx driverack will do this for you) is the best that you can do but at the end of the day, you can't beat physics.
Old 23rd September 2010 , 11:08 AM
Mic Check 1!

Another thought, pumping in less sub bass *might* actually allow people to perceive more bass, this will depend very much on the particular room. room. If for example you were to roll off anything under 40 or 50 hz this would allow people to perceive the 50-200 area without necessarily exciting room modes so much.
Old 23rd September 2010 , 09:41 PM

Thanks for the extra thoughts.
djme is offline Offline
Old 24th September 2010 , 12:54 PM

Thumbs up

Here is useful information I found that may also be helpful to others. Its exactly what I was looking for. A common sense tested solution. Many thanks to Alan Lofft of Axiom Audio.

[url]www.axiomaudio.com//subwoofercrawl.html[/url]
djme is offline Offline
Old 24th September 2010 , 01:12 PM
Mic Check 1!

this is entirely sound (and indeed he talks about the same principles I refer to above). It is pretty difficult however to make it work in live sound applications as you rarely get a choice as to where you can set up the PA to that extent.