DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Technique > Tips 'n Tricks - General Production
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Tips 'n Tricks - General Production Whether a happy accident, or based on years of experience, find/post 'em here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th September 2008 , 03:05 PM
Forum Idol

yeah im not into manuals especially the online ones i prefer the actual hard copy so i can just read it in my spare time not having to have a computer switched on, i used to twiddle here and there with settings occasionally stumbling onto something but when i learnt the basics and what each setting would achieve i found the number of sounds i was achieving that i liked greatly increased and my work flow sped up as i began knowing what to do to achieve a certain sound i was after etc
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 18th September 2008 , 12:24 PM
Pushing the Envelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor_j View Post
hahaha, very true but theres only so long you can get away with working like that before hitting a creative brick wall
I'm jesting, naturally.

It's great to have a fiddle to begin with, so to speak, and then truly delve under the bonnet.

I love my Juno 106, for simplicity, but when I got the Virus and quickly learned to enjoy its many features, I suddenly found myself looking at the Juno thinking 'is that all you can do with the noise source?'

mutilatedlip is offline Offline
Old 18th September 2008 , 08:04 PM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
I'm jesting, naturally.

It's great to have a fiddle to begin with, so to speak, and then truly delve under the bonnet.

I love my Juno 106, for simplicity, but when I got the Virus and quickly learned to enjoy its many features, I suddenly found myself looking at the Juno thinking 'is that all you can do with the noise source?'

I second that thought. Just whatever you do do not get into reaktor too much, your life will dissappear. Ive been working on something that i was gonna post up here like 2 weeks ago and its still not done because i keep pissing around trying to reduce the CPU load on the Mod matrix in order to add things like controller curves for envelopes and more bizarre effects. Im gonna have to post it soon tho or i will have no life
JAYDMF is offline Offline
Old 24th September 2008 , 12:19 AM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYDMF View Post
I second that thought. Just whatever you do do not get into reaktor too much, your life will dissappear. Ive been working on something that i was gonna post up here like 2 weeks ago and its still not done because i keep pissing around trying to reduce the CPU load on the Mod matrix in order to add things like controller curves for envelopes and more bizarre effects. Im gonna have to post it soon tho or i will have no life
please you have to tell me more about Reaktor is it really that amazing (sound wise)?
Old 24th September 2008 , 06:32 AM
Costa Del Cool

I have Reaktor as part of Komplete 5 but I haven't had the nerve to open it yet! Lots more to get me head around first!
sphelan is offline Offline
Old 24th September 2008 , 09:06 AM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelan View Post
I have Reaktor as part of Komplete 5 but I haven't had the nerve to open it yet! Lots more to get me head around first!
id try, do it for DV
Old 1st October 2008 , 07:43 PM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
please you have to tell me more about Reaktor is it really that amazing (sound wise)?
Fook me should have replied to this earlier.

All i can say is that you need to really sit down and work on it. It sounds amazing yes but only once youve built something amazing. I'm much happier using it in part with a "real" manufactured synth because its like the musician/engineer line once you cross it your fooked. It gets addictive and ive found that if you dont get the sound your after you will end up tinkering inside for 4 weeks and will end up completely missing the point. build something and use it is my answer. Ive built 4 synths which have their uses but unlike my blofeld i wouldnt say theyre "go to" that may be because i made them and i know their good/bad points but for synths it takes lots and lots and lots of refinement to get something anywhere near the level of a manufactured synth. Im still working on one to post here i started well over a month ago. but you can hear for yourself when its done
JAYDMF is offline Offline
Old 1st October 2008 , 07:48 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYDMF View Post
Fook me should have replied to this earlier.

All i can say is that you need to really sit down and work on it. It sounds amazing yes but only once youve built something amazing. I'm much happier using it in part with a "real" manufactured synth because its like the musician/engineer line once you cross it your fooked. It gets addictive and ive found that if you dont get the sound your after you will end up tinkering inside for 4 weeks and will end up completely missing the point. build something and use it is my answer. Ive built 4 synths which have their uses but unlike my blofeld i wouldnt say theyre "go to" that may be because i made them and i know their good/bad points but for synths it takes lots and lots and lots of refinement to get something anywhere near the level of a manufactured synth. Im still working on one to post here i started well over a month ago. but you can hear for yourself when its done
looking forward to it jay, i think il stick with omni for now, sounds like Reaktor deserves a lot of time
Old 2nd October 2008 , 10:40 AM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
The book Cakewalk Books -Cakewalk Synthesizers also has some interesting reading.
I bought that book about a year ago. It's a superb read.

Simon Cann navigates a potentially tricky subject with ease. I thought the book might be a bit heavy on information without enough tips and useful suggestions but IMO he avoided all of those issues.

A highly recommend book. Even for a total beginner. It's focus is on Cakewalk synths but it is a great way to learn about synthesis. Triangle is used early in the book (to get the basics down) and is free.

Simon Cann also wrote another book (free) How to make a noise.
Monarch is offline Offline
Old 16th October 2008 , 10:51 AM
Uber Member

Quote:
Yes, manuals can be such a drag. I agree that there is a lot you can learn from just twiddling knobs but I eventually find I need to go back and read up something to get more ideas. Using both approaches is what works for me.

Thats why I like the new PDF thing some manufacturers seem to have going on-you get a quick start quide in the box and a link to d/l the full manual on the back of it. Encourages the hands on, in at the deep end approach from the beginning but help when you inevitably end up stuck.
Old 16th October 2008 , 11:40 AM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilty View Post
Thats why I like the new PDF thing some manufacturers seem to have going on-you get a quick start quide in the box and a link to d/l the full manual on the back of it. Encourages the hands on, in at the deep end approach from the beginning but help when you inevitably end up stuck.
you know im starting to hate these on line manuals, id rather have the manual in my hand so i can actually use the synth while reading the manual to test it, otherwise your constantly switching between preview and your D.A.S it get annoying!!! rather have manual in left hand mouse in my right
Old 16th October 2008 , 11:47 AM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
you know im starting to hate these on line manuals, id rather have the manual in my hand so i can actually use the synth while reading the manual to test it, otherwise your constantly switching between preview and your D.A.S it get annoying!!! rather have manual in left hand mouse in my right
Yes, I agree. Reading manuals, while a bit of a drag at times, is much preferrable to reading on a screen. Plus you can write on it, colour it in, spill coffee on it, or whatever. And best of all, you can take it everywhere with you and you don't have to plug it in!
sphelan is offline Offline
Old 16th October 2008 , 11:49 AM
Uber Member

Quote:

I just wait till I'm at work and print it out hehe
Old 16th October 2008 , 11:51 AM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Yes, I agree. Reading manuals, while a bit of a drag at times, is much preferrable to reading on a screen. Plus you can write on it, colour it in, spill coffee on it, or whatever. And best of all, you can take it everywhere with you and you don't have to plug it in!
well said shane, totally agree, especially being able to take it with you. it's amazing how much you learn just by reading it in your free time, when you get infront of the software in question things just pop back you never thought you knew
Old 16th October 2008 , 12:07 PM
Uber Member

Quote:
You say that but I nearly cried when I spilt tea on my Cubase manual. I know you pay for the license and everything, not the physical product, but that DVD/dongle and manual were the only evidence of my 350...
Sad I know.