DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Old 11th August 2008 , 01:56 PM
Costa Del Cool

Default Anybody for Sonar?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post...no longer a virgin!

I was just wondering about Sonar. I bought version 7 from DV and am getting to know it bit by bit. But I have noticed an absence of this DAW in the world in general. Music magazines focus on Cubase, Logic, Live and Pro Tools. Forums have threads regarding this DAW. But I see very little or nothing regarding Sonar.

Am I the ONLY person using Sonar? Why don't I see Tips and Tricks for Sonar in magazines or online...or am I looking in all the wrong places.

Well, thought it might be worth a mention. Hope to hear your views.

Shane
sphelan is offline Offline
Old 11th August 2008 , 02:10 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Sound On Sound magazine pretty much covers all the major DAWs each month, including Sonar. The current August issue has a good 4 page article on "Sonar Mixing Console Tips". Can't recommend this magazine enough... I've bought every single issue since the very first one and read it cover to cover.
Old 11th August 2008 , 02:18 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

A quick Google reveals some pretty active online reources:

Google: sonar forum - Google Search

Finds:
Cakewalk Forums
Sonar Resources - Sonar
Cakewalk / Sonar Forum - Home Recording dot com BBS
YouTube - CakewalkSoftware's Channel
CAKEWALK ZONE

Old 11th August 2008 , 02:26 PM
Costa Del Cool

Thanks for the info Dave.

I live in Spain and unfortunately SOS is not on the shelves here. Will check it out online.

Is Sonar appreciated as much as the other BIG names in DAW, do you think?
Old 11th August 2008 , 02:36 PM
ndk

Welcome sphelan,

On the Sound on Sound front, you can buy back issues in electronic format from their website if you so wish. You can also subscribe to either the printed version or electronic versions from their site as well.

Sound on Sound Back Issues CDs/DVDs

Subscribe to Sound on Sound
Old 11th August 2008 , 02:51 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Even as a UK resident I subscribe to SoS... just to make sure I never miss an issue!
Old 11th August 2008 , 03:03 PM
Costa Del Cool

That sounds good guys.

Like I said, I bought Sonar 7 (good deal at DV) but I have a nagging voice that tells me I should be using Logic or Pro Tools. I suppose learning any DAW helps with learning another! But I would hate to waste time on one if I should be looking elsewhere. I also use Reason a bit. And my PC (which is new and unfortunately came with VISTA) is a bit tempremental with regard to Sonar. I have to restart on occasions to get it to work properly.

To Sonar or not to Sonar? That is the question!
Old 11th August 2008 , 03:06 PM
Sound Guru

Well, Logic only runs on Macs, so you can eliminate that from contention unless you want to buy a new computer.

If you're having technical problems you should probably take it up with Cakewalk - then when you're up & running properly you can decide whether or not you want to pursue it. If it does what you need it to do, and you're fine with the workflow, you probably don't need to switch DAWs.

There's a bit of troubleshooting involved with all DAWs - getting them up & running and running well is bit of a effort, but of course it will be worth it.
whitecat is offline Offline
Old 11th August 2008 , 03:08 PM
Spectrum Idoliser

You use what you're comfortable with, and that doesn't always have to be what everyone else uses. Right now I use Cakewalk Project5, which is even less used than Sonar (it's basically Sonar's little brother anyway), and I'm fine with that as I know how to get what I want from it.

I'm hoping to upgrade to Sonar soon anyway using the megadeal on the DV site so I can take advantage of the features on that.
Old 11th August 2008 , 03:16 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Very much as Terminal3 and Krykos have aready said, your choice of DAW should be based on which you are most comfortable using. Each DAW is going to have a bit of a learning curve whilst getting to grips with it and each in conjunction with your chosen hardware will throw up it's own technical issues, most of which will already jave been experienced by someone else with the same set-up and chances are the solution has already been published out there somewehere on the Internet.

At the end of the day, keep your eye on the goal, you use a DAW as a tool to make and record music. If your DAW enables you to do this and doesn't get in the way of doing it, then you are using the right DAW... whichever one it happens to be.

Old 11th August 2008 , 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boulden View Post
At the end of the day, keep your eye on the goal, you use a DAW as a tool to make and record music. If your DAW enables you to do this and doesn't get in the way of doing it, then you are using the right DAW... whichever one it happens to be.
Couldnt agree more with Dave there, ive tried most and found one to suit my needs and carried on from there, no point in struggling to get to grips with a new DAW when your perfectly capable of making music in another.

If Sonar provides everything you need, then why worry what others are using. Im sure you'll be able to find plenty of resources online, just like what has already been mentioned
conor_j is offline Offline
Old 11th August 2008 , 07:30 PM
Costa Del Cool

I understand what you guys are all saying. It's not that I was worried but it is reassuring to hear your views.

I just got a bit of a feeling that not many people use Sonar. That is not to say that it is an inferior product. I don't have any major difficulties with the DAW, although there are some times when it stalls or refuses to behave like I think it should. I didn't realise I would have to tweak it! Thanks for that piece of advice.

I suppose I have to admit to myself that I have a deep down desire to change to Mac...although my wallet is not in that healthy a state yet to make the change...and hence move away from Sonar (yes, with Bootcamp I could run Sonar, but isn't it sexier to make a complete move and go Logic???). I know this is tempting a PC vs Mac discussion and that's now where I wanted to go here!!

Just as long as I know the product I currently use is up there with the best. And as all your advice tells me, the best way is probably to get the max out of what I have at the moment. Sounds good to me.

Cheers guys!
Old 11th August 2008 , 07:34 PM
Sound Guru

Remember: when you see that stunningly amazingly sexy girl/guy walking past you on on the street, just remind yourself that someone else out there is sick and tired of putting up with her/his sh*t.

DAWs are exactly the same!
whitecat is offline Offline
Old 11th August 2008 , 07:57 PM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
Remember: when you see that stunningly amazingly sexy girl/guy walking past you on on the street, just remind yourself that someone else out there is sick and tired of putting up with her/his sh*t.
Awesome!! I love this!
TrevCircleStudios is offline Offline
Old 11th August 2008 , 08:29 PM
Costa Del Cool

Everything's down to personal taste!!!