DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Old 11th August 2008 , 08:30 PM
Son of 'Z'

Sonar is a good piece of kit. The thing about it is that it was behind the likes of the big 3 in terms of development, and it doesn't have anything really unique to it. Ie, Ableton was able to force there way into that group because of the different way it works. It lends itself to applications that traditionally don't work that well i nthe other daws.

There are even less well known sequencers like Cockos reaper, that also work really well. They just don't have the reputation and budgets to compete...
EdRyan is offline Offline
Old 11th August 2008 , 08:36 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
Remember: when you see that stunningly amazingly sexy girl/guy walking past you on on the street, just remind yourself that someone else out there is sick and tired of putting up with her/his sh*t.

DAWs are exactly the same!
LOL! Spot on... on both counts
Old 11th August 2008 , 08:42 PM

Although being a playing musician since about 5 years old, the recording element, or at least the engineering, is very new to me. I've got a Zoom MRS 1608 recorder, which is a great piece of kit, but has limitations when compared with all the computer/ digital solutions that are now available.

Someone demo'ed me Adobe Audition. I did no more: I bought Audition 3. The problem I'm having at the moment is: I have no time to record anything!!

I liked what I saw; I just wanted a younger version!
Icemankool is offline Offline
Last edited by Icemankool; 11th August 2008 at 08:44 PM. . <
Old 12th August 2008 , 07:25 PM
Costa Del Cool

I know the feeling Icemankool!

I've got a 13 month old baby and he doesn't take too kindly to the idea of me dedicating a few hours to playing or recording.

I am beginning to think that family, or more specifically babies, are incompatible with music!!!!

I suppose in two or three years time, when he starts school, I REALLY get into this music recording stuff!!!

FINGERS CROSSED
Old 25th August 2008 , 09:30 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelan View Post
I know the feeling Icemankool!

I've got a 13 month old baby and he doesn't take too kindly to the idea of me dedicating a few hours to playing or recording.

I am beginning to think that family, or more specifically babies, are incompatible with music!!!!

I suppose in two or three years time, when he starts school, I REALLY get into this music recording stuff!!!

FINGERS CROSSED
Just make sure he grows up knowing that what Daddy does with his gadgets is cool!
Old 26th August 2008 , 06:23 AM
Costa Del Cool

Well the good news is that anything he sees is a potential drum and he love beating on it with both hands! He has recently learned to blow - so I shove a recorder in his mouth and he loves the sound he produces. As for the piano, he is starting to connect the sound that's produced when he hits (literally THUMPS) the keys. And another curious thing is that when we park the car, he hums the same little two-note melody every time! I don't want to sound like one of those parents who measures their baby's fingers to see if the will make a pianist or not, but this little guy has had music all around him since before he was born...and if he likes it, and even wants to play it, FANTASTIC - we have opened the door to music for him.
sphelan is offline Offline
Old 31st August 2008 , 08:56 AM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boulden View Post
Sound On Sound magazine pretty much covers all the major DAWs each month, including Sonar. The current August issue has a good 4 page article on "Sonar Mixing Console Tips". Can't recommend this magazine enough... I've bought every single issue since the very first one and read it cover to cover.
Just for the record, Dave I want to say that I am really grateful for your advice and that of others.

Now that I have taken out the online subscription to SOS, I see that there are tonnes of useful articles there which will help get me up to speed with Sonar.

Cheers again mates!
sphelan is offline Offline
Old 5th October 2008 , 07:04 PM
Forum Poet

I use Sonar. I've grown into it. I've never had a problem with it.

As this person says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by conor_j View Post
If Sonar provides everything you need, then why worry what others are using. Im sure you'll be able to find plenty of resources online, just like what has already been mentioned
Setting up and having a PC to handle what you want is what catches most people out.

Change DAW if you lose inspiration. Otherwise make music.

But keep an eye and an ear on other DAWs - Don't you just love this recording lark?
Old 6th October 2008 , 08:38 AM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Am_Bic_Pentameter View Post
Change DAW if you lose inspiration. Otherwise make music.

But keep an eye and an ear on other DAWs - Don't you just love this recording lark?
Another Sonar user here. I agree if it is just not happening with your current DAW then it is time to look elsewhere.

Making music should be fun and inspirational. I think we give our best when we feel our best.
Monarch is offline Offline
Old 10th November 2008 , 09:04 PM

I've been using Sonar for a number of years and I can't see it lacking in any area. Fiddled around with Cubase and Logic on a few occasions as well but these are not as intuitive as Sonar and takes a considerable time to learn.
Sound wise Sonar gives you top quality so you will get as good results as with anything else such as Pro Tools, assuming your hardware is up to scratch!
I LOVE SONAR!!!
Dubya is offline Offline
Old 9th December 2008 , 08:35 PM
fog

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdRyan View Post
The thing about it is that it was behind the likes of the big 3 in terms of development, and it doesn't have anything really unique to it.
sorry, that's not an informed comment to make.. 1 of plenty reasons why.. 64 bit mode, some others seemed to follow. I also own cubase, and well "preview" don't cut it.. either did "native side chaining" which appeared in a later update in cubase. How many companies has the developers actually talk to users on their forum? I suppose Roland isn't a big name in the industry..

sphelan, if you go on the cakewalk forum , it's a good place and people are helpful. since you have rapture (well LE?) be sure to pick up the muz3um pack free for it =) . Trust me you'll like it.

the user base is different simply because it's mainly US users, it's tricky to complete for them in the sense of many factors.. import tax etc. So the mags will focus more on the higher percentage of users.

I did buy the sonar 7 power book which in additional to the manual is a useful resource and craig does write in SOS about sonar also.
fog is offline Offline
Last edited by fog; 9th December 2008 at 08:38 PM. . <
Old 30th December 2008 , 10:07 PM

I agree, Sonar is huge in the US. I've used Logic alot and although I love it there is no doubting Sonar. It has quite a few little tricks that others don't have and is quick to work in when you get used to it.

I will say that Logic's benefit is that it comes bundled with some excellent plug-ins but Sonar, on the whole is not worse just different. IMO it is nearest to Logic in the way it operates and orientates things. Cubase is like a maze to me. If you get stuck, just stick to the menus across the top of the page left until you learn the functions and their shortcuts.
Meander is offline Offline
Last edited by Meander; 30th December 2008 at 10:10 PM. . <
Old 28th July 2010 , 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
Awesome!! I love this!
LOL me too - this is so true. Grass always looks greener on the other side. You'll likely find a different set of problems with another sequencer were you to change.

I was tempted to change myself, but being a Windows-heavy user, Sonar's interface agreed with me a lot more. I didn't really get along with Logic or Cubase, though they're both perfectly capable sequencers as well.

Don't worry about people not using a sequencer so much. Once you have the basic concepts common to all sequencers down, the manual should see you through most of the rest. I know it's tempting to try and wing your way through the system and learn as you play around, but sometimes, you just have to pick up that manual and do the boring bit ;(

The official Cakewalk forum is excellent, I use it plenty and so long as you provide detailed information about your problem, support comes very quickly.

Reaper's not very common, but if I wasn't on Sonar, I'm sure I would be on that.

Good luck, and hope it all works out well for you
dariunas is offline Offline
Old 24th October 2010 , 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariunas View Post
LOL me too - this is so true. Grass always looks greener on the other side. You'll likely find a different set of problems with another sequencer were you to change.

I was tempted to change myself, but being a Windows-heavy user, Sonar's interface agreed with me a lot more. I didn't really get along with Logic or Cubase, though they're both perfectly capable sequencers as well.

Don't worry about people not using a sequencer so much. Once you have the basic concepts common to all sequencers down, the manual should see you through most of the rest. I know it's tempting to try and wing your way through the system and learn as you play around, but sometimes, you just have to pick up that manual and do the boring bit ;(

The official Cakewalk forum is excellent, I use it plenty and so long as you provide detailed information about your problem, support comes very quickly.

Reaper's not very common, but if I wasn't on Sonar, I'm sure I would be on that.

Good luck, and hope it all works out well for you
As I long time Sonar user I just wanted to be associated with the previous speaker's comments, as they say! I'm a heavy Excel, Word user and way back when I tried the different DAWs I found it really hard to navigate around them - not at all intuitive. When I tried Sonar I was instantly at home and have been ever since. My advice would be choose one, stick with it and learn it in depth. Sonar is lucky enough to have the parallel publication with each upgrade the Sonar Power books by Scott Garrigus. They're essential, especially if you're like me and hate trying to read so-called 'online' manuals.
John
SkylineUK is offline Offline