DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Digital Audio Sequencers > Sonar
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Sonar Explore the depths..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd October 2008 , 12:36 PM
Administrator

Default Cakewalk Hardware News: Sonar V-Studio 700

Sonar V-Studio 700 - The Ultimate Music Production Solution

Announced today at the AES show, Cakewalk/Roland launch their comprehensive and creatively powerful Sonar V-Studio 700. This tightly integrated combination of hardware and software make this one of the most desirable solutions for creative music production.

Features:

VS-700C Control Console

Offers broader range of control than any other currently available control surface

i> 20 rotary encoders, 9 touch sensitive motorized faders, 70 buttons, ACT/EQ Send, Transport, Jog/Shuttle and more

ii> V-Link Support to control Edirol video hardware

VS-700R I/O Module

i> 20/24 Audio Interface (expandable to 40/48)

ii> 8 xlr/trs ins with mic pre-amps and onboard DSP

iii> 14 Analog outs, ADAT I/O, Digital I/O (AES/EBU, Coaxial)

iv> Midi I/O & Wordclock

Sonar 8 Producer Edition + Rapture (full version)

With a 64 bit audio engine, the updated Sonar 8 Producer Edition features streamlined editing & mixing, more power & efficiency plus new effects/instruments.

On-Board Roland Fantom VS Synthesizer
Integrated synth with over 1,400 patches from the world renowned Fantom

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

V-Studio 700 will be shipping January 2009 and…
.. Digital Village are hosting the UK debut of the Cakewalk Sonar V-Studio 700 in November!
Old 3rd October 2008 , 12:41 PM
Costa Del Cool

And the prices of this baby????
sphelan is offline Offline
Old 3rd October 2008 , 02:02 PM
Furry Filter Phreak

As well as the console, the *expandable* audio interface looks very interesting as well - 24 channels in just isnt enough anymore...

On the included Fantom - hmmm... I tend to feel if you are going for a computer bound hardware synth is needs to be very very special and able to compete on sound quality with the best that software con provide (consider its likely price etc). I have never been particualrly impressed with my Fantom XR - while it effects are nice, its raw samples on some key instrument sounds leave alot to be desired. You see- think of the choice for a paino for example - symphony ivory vs the fantom x grand - that IMHO is only saved by a rather nice sounding reverb effect based sympathetic resonance effect.

The reason for have a rompler is computer independence - ie jam on it directly or from another keyboard - if its computer bound - I kind of dont really get the point, unless of course the sonic result is very special indeed. Perhaps this beastie can be use idnependent of a computer (?) - then it becomes as interesting as an Fantom XR, or even a future Fantom GR.

All said and done, I'm quite happy to see this, even if I currently have no plans for something like this - maybe finally one of these hardware company + software company linkups might actually yield something good. They couold at least have ressurected an modern equivelent of the UM-880 midi interface as well though.

Yamaha + Steinberg for eg has been one dismal half hearted failure after another, though I have never really felt the two comnpanies had their heart in it, nor were a natural fit for each other. Cakewalk and Roland on the other hand - there allways seemed something right about that and its bearing some interesting fruit.
Khazul is offline Offline
Last edited by Khazul; 3rd October 2008 at 02:10 PM. . <
Old 3rd October 2008 , 02:08 PM
Administrator

Full Product Overview on this video
HERE
Old 3rd October 2008 , 02:19 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by modz1 View Post
Full Product Overview on this video
HERE
WOW! But how much is it?
Monarch is offline Offline
Old 3rd October 2008 , 03:12 PM

Can not wait to see the price on this baby :P

Fredster
fredster is offline Offline
Old 3rd October 2008 , 03:18 PM
Forum Idol

It does look very nice, curious about this looks very well presented
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 4th October 2008 , 07:18 AM
Costa Del Cool

I can't help thinking about the emphasis on post-production. Yes, I'd like to get into film/video soundtracks in the future but I wonder if this beast is really aimed at the home studio.

Can we home hobbists justify such a system or is it aimed at professional professionals?
Old 4th October 2008 , 11:41 AM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelan View Post
I can't help thinking about the emphasis on post-production. Yes, I'd like to get into film/video soundtracks in the future but I wonder if this beast is really aimed at the home studio.
I think they do seem to be marketing it to the Post Production demographic but it most certainly is also very much for the home, project and semi pro studio. Cost will determine the priority of this lovely new addition to any studio. And make no mistake it most certainly is a lovely piece of kit on paper at least.

This Sonicstate video demonstrates just how tight the integration is with Sonar. Definitely not just for Post Production. That Sonic State video is for those not really into Post / video production as such. That video showcases what a music producer wants to know about Sonar and this hardware. I think it showcases that very well.

The other Video modz1 posted also showcases post production very well indeed if that interests you.

Quote:
Can we home hobbists justify such a system or is it aimed at professional professionals?
Interesting point. I guess the price will be the deciding factor for most on that point. It is a very good move for Cakewalk and Roland though IMO. Massive.
Monarch is offline Offline
Old 4th October 2008 , 12:10 PM
Furry Filter Phreak

I wouldnt be at all suprised to see a price tag in the region of 3,000+ for a bundle of all the bits.

As far as most small music production studios go where the person running the studio is actually making a living out of it - then music for TV is by far the biggest market for commercial users - so that makes sense.

My only interest in video is the other way around - making video to fit music - background collages as part of the visuals for a gig and maybe videos for the odd single should we ever go for that (religiously following the how to make a #1 manual of course )
Old 4th October 2008 , 01:43 PM

If the cost on this comes around 3.000+ It will not be in my studio. I know a lot of good things I need before that...

Fredster
Old 4th October 2008 , 02:25 PM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredster View Post
If the cost on this comes around 3.000+ It will not be in my studio. I know a lot of good things I need before that...
I am in a similar position. And I think to spend something in the region of a possible 3k, I would be looking at none Cakewalk related products...sorry but I think I would be going Mac for a start and that means goodbye Sonar for a start!

If Cakewalk are serious about appealing to the home studio market and not the professional market, then I think they can't afford to go too far on the price or they will automatically cut a large chunk of people off their potential sales even if the V-Studio looks nice and compact etc.
Old 4th October 2008 , 02:27 PM

Pricing and availability
The SONAR V-Studio 700 system ships with SONAR 8 Producer, Rapture software synthesizer, the VS-700C V-Studio Console, the VS-700R V-Studio I/O with onboard Fantom VS synth, cables, and user guide.

SONAR V-Studio 700 will be available February 2009 and will be able to be experienced at select music and sound retailers and purchased for around $4,000. Cakewalk will be offering existing SONAR 8 Producer customers a $200 rebate on SONAR V-Studio 700.

this sounds alot better than 3,000+

But in January/February will know where to do the best buy

Fredster
Old 4th October 2008 , 02:31 PM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
Pricing and availability
The SONAR V-Studio 700 system ships with SONAR 8 Producer, Rapture software synthesizer, the VS-700C V-Studio Console, the VS-700R V-Studio I/O with onboard Fantom VS synth, cables, and user guide.

SONAR V-Studio 700 will be available February 2009 and will be able to be experienced at select music and sound retailers and purchased for around $4,000. Cakewalk will be offering existing SONAR 8 Producer customers a $200 rebate on SONAR V-Studio 700.

I still think it is going to be out of many people's leagues. If you still have to buy preamps, as I am sure our learned friends on the forums will tell us that the pres included won't be good enough, then it can become really expensive.
Old 4th October 2008 , 02:56 PM
Furry Filter Phreak

Quote:

Well - if you take $4000, convert to UKP @ 1.66 = 2400 or so.
Add VAT @ 17.5% = 2830 or so
Add Duty @ 5% (may be more or less, should realy be only 3.5%, but have never seen that) = 2970 or so

Add usual other extortionate and unknown reasons that anything US or Far East originated ends up getting price-hiked in the UK and europe and that will come to 3000+

If we are lucky - expect a UK retail price of 2999 but perhaps discounted eventually to 2799.