DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Digital Audio Sequencers > Sonar
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Sonar Explore the depths..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th October 2008 , 02:58 PM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul View Post
If we are lucky - expect a UK retail price of 2999 but perhaps discounted eventually to 2799.
So hands up who thinks it's value for money?
sphelan is offline Offline
Old 4th October 2008 , 03:56 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelan View Post
So hands up who thinks it's value for money?

I think I read somewhere it was going to be about $4000 US. So it may very well be at least 2k. I think for what it does and considering there is a Roland Fantom included is probably more or less the same as other offerings in the market. Cakewalk IMO have a mid to low market customer base.

I just do not think this package is really targeted at them. I think it's for the Pro Tools HD crowd that might not even think about how much it costs, but what it offers them beyond thier current set ups.

In terms of capability it clearly is not just for Post production work but the price pushes it firmly into the PT HD crowd space.

This new hardware bundle has Sonar 8 Producer 300+, a Roland Fantom 1,000 - 3,000??? Of course then there is the hardware as well so really it is actually pretty good value for money if....you feel you need those things or place enough value on them.

At the end of the day I would like it to be cheaper (much cheaper) but when you break down the components it's not a bad price..even if you say...well the Fantom is not a Hardware keyboard...just software but then again how much would that cost as software???

Cakewalk without a doubt are aiming this at the high end market...no question. I think they will offer somehting similar for the mid to low market at some point. Just not yet.
Monarch is offline Offline
Old 5th October 2008 , 10:10 AM
Forum Scribe

Here is a 20 minute+ AES video it also includes the v-Studio 700 Teaser Video (wihch I think is great)

Click on the small arrow (just in front of "Dailymotion") in the playback transport to see it in full screen.
Old 6th October 2008 , 04:24 PM

This really does look very interesting indeed. The only fault I could see is that it uses USB 2, which is due to be upgraded within the next year or so. This unit will be out of date once USB 3 comes into play.

Saying that, I bought a Sampler many years ago that could only do a zillionth of what this baby can. It was priced similarly to this unit and superceded within months.

Oh the joys of progress.
sijarvis is offline Offline
Old 6th October 2008 , 09:05 PM

Even if USB3 will come in short matter of time, I will not say that USB2 is "out of date" for that matter..
USB2 delivers alot of data in short time, and think this will be good for many years even if upgades come.
So I don't think this will be a problem.
But I am glad it goes forward in technic it is much easyer today two work on a DAW compered for just 8 years ago. Think how strong our homestudio's will be in 10 years :P

Fredster
fredster is offline Offline
Old 7th October 2008 , 09:29 AM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredster View Post
Think how strong our homestudio's will be in 10 years :P
Probably wafer thin touchscreens that you can roll up like paper running on 64 -128 cores and almost certainly running on some kind of cloud based set up.

Here are some SOS Magazine Sonar Vstudio videos

Cakewalks Micheal Hoover gives a short overview and talks about pricing.

Cakewalks Brandon Ryan talks to SOS Mag about the Sonar Vstudio 700