DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Old 16th September 2008 , 08:12 AM
Jeremy Lumsden

Default Sonar 8 Details are leaked....

A Sonar 8 advert has appeared prematurely in the US magazine, EQ.

The official announcement date is Monday 22nd September. Here's what we know about Sonar 8 from the ad:

B[I]eatscape Loop Instrument

Dimension Pro

TL-64 Tube Leveler

TS-64 Transient Shaper

True Pianos Amber Module

Integrated synth Tracks

Guitar Rig 3 LE

Lower Latency - High Track Performance

New Loop Explorer View For Audio & MIDI

Channel Tools Plug-in

Numerous Workflow Enhancements [/I]
Last edited by Jeremy Lumsden; 16th September 2008 at 09:53 AM. . <
Old 16th September 2008 , 08:31 AM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Lumsden View Post
An Sonar 8 advert has appeared prematurely in the US magazine, EQ.

The official announcement date is Monday 22nd September. Here's what we know about Sonar 8 from the ad:

Beatscape Loop Instrument

Dimension Pro

TL-64 Tube Leveler

TS-64 Transient Shaper

True Pianos Amber Module

Integrated synth Tracks

Guitar Rig 3 LE

Lower Latency - High Track Performance

New Loop Explorer View For Audio & MIDI

Channel Tools Plug-in

Numerous Workflow Enhancements
Nice one. I haven't upgraded Dimension LE to Dimension Pro yet. Maybe the cost of the upgrade to Sonar 8 will be more economical.
sphelan is offline Offline
Old 16th September 2008 , 10:59 AM
Forum Idol

it looks great, tbh 7 did as well but i just couldn't get on with it workflow wise
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 16th September 2008 , 03:24 PM

Typical, I only upgraded to 7.0 last week
Old 16th September 2008 , 03:34 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
Typical, I only upgraded to 7.0 last week
you should qualify for a free update then, no?
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 16th September 2008 , 03:41 PM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
you should qualify for a free update then, no?
No mention of any details yet! I have v7 for a year so but only loaded and registered it recently. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the upgrade won't be too expensive.
Old 16th September 2008 , 03:55 PM
Forum Scribe

I think Sonar's loop explorer was definitely due for an overhaul. Hopefully the changes are in the right places. Midi preview has been possible in Cakewalks Project 5 for ages (quite slick). I would like to see that in Sonar 8. Hopefully it is now possible.

"TS-64 Transient Shaper"

I think Samplitude 8 some years ago introduced something similar. Could be useful.

"Dimension Pro"

I own it already but as a user of it, I think that is a *major* addition. It has about 1000 patches covering anything from Basses, Pads, Strings e.t.c to really strange sounds (in the "Dimensions" patch category) it also has a further 2 free expansion packs which collectively add 700+ additional patches to the table.

The scope of the sounds it produces is not unlike Omnisphere. Very wide choice of high quality sounds.

I am also very curious about the "Beatscape loop instrument". I rate Sonars Cyclone quite highly as it is great for ACID loops. Maybe Beatscape is some sort of take on that. The other items on that list look very interesting as well.

I guess we will see on the 22nd exactly what they have to offer in more detail
Monarch is offline Offline
Old 16th September 2008 , 04:24 PM
Spectrum Idoliser

I'm actually quite glad I put off buying Sonar 7 for so long now.
Old 16th September 2008 , 06:05 PM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by krykos View Post
I'm actually quite glad I put off buying Sonar 7 for so long now.
I bought Sonar 6 and got a free upgrade to 7. That was worth it. Holding off like you've done krykos has paid off. I don't think you'll be disappointed in the long run.
Old 16th September 2008 , 06:41 PM

Okay... so... sell it to me!!

I want to upgrade and move on. Eventually, I want to go completely to Mac and get Logic Studio. But at the moment, I'm stuck with my PC; and I want more RAM and a more reliable and modern program, that will supercede my expectations and do more than Logic Platinum ever could!

All I really want to know is what the array of synths and effects are like in Sonar, and how it handles audio and automation.

Shane, can you give me some guidance?
Old 16th September 2008 , 07:22 PM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfracas View Post
Okay... so... sell it to me!!
Can I do that? Even though I registered v6?

Quote:
I want to upgrade and move on. Eventually, I want to go completely to Mac and get Logic Studio. But at the moment, I'm stuck with my PC; and I want more RAM and a more reliable and modern program, that will supercede my expectations and do more than Logic Platinum ever could!
I am in the same boat and bought a new PC and Sonar as an interim solution until I can afford a Mac + Logic + a better interface + a preamp + + + + etc

Quote:
All I really want to know is what the array of synths and effects are like in Sonar, and how it handles audio and automation.

Shane, can you give me some guidance?
Have you tried the trail version at SONAR 7 Web Trial

TBH I have only been scratching the surface of Sonar - recording audio in and playing with presets in some of the synths. But I am also working on the Komplete synths and I got Reason at the same time. So even though I've had the new PC with Sonar for three or four months, I haven't done a huge amount.

Tell me a bit more what you want to know, and of course I will give you guidance if I can.

I do think Sonar is a powerful DAW and I really need to get under its hood but for that I need to know more production stuff to know what I should be aiming to do. D'ya follow me?
Old 16th September 2008 , 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelan View Post
Have you tried the trail version at SONAR 7 Web Trial

TBH I have only been scratching the surface of Sonar - recording audio in and playing with presets in some of the synths. But I am also working on the Komplete synths and I got Reason at the same time. So even though I've had the new PC with Sonar for three or four months, I haven't done a huge amount.

Tell me a bit more what you want to know, and of course I will give you guidance if I can.

I do think Sonar is a powerful DAW and I really need to get under its hood but for that I need to know more production stuff to know what I should be aiming to do. D'ya follow me?
I might give the trial a go; but I'm also trying to find a tide-me-over, until I get a Mac Pro.

I think I may just give Pro Tools a go for music writing. The only things I would really like to transfer with me are Logic's time-based effects and some of the synths. I was lucky when I got it; my parent's bought Logic for me, and then all the additional plugins back in 2002 - they daren't tell me how much it cost, but I know it was a lot! Now, you can get the whole package for 200, or thereabouts; and today's version is much more desirable.

But over the years, I've started using more and more 3rd party plugins; and now, there's very little of the native plugins that I do use anymore. But those plugins have a distinct sound to me. I love the EXS24 without any samples, purely because the bass makes an excellent sub. I know the tricks with Logic, and I'm sure switching to it on Mac won't be too much of a hassle. Even the interface is lovely for me; it's so inspirational. I haven't found anything that matches it, IMO.

But I'm always up for trying anything new out.

Maybe I should come to Spain for a bit, and we can swap tips!
Old 16th September 2008 , 07:46 PM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
I might give the trial a go; but I'm also trying to find a tide-me-over, until I get a Mac Pro.

I think I may just give Pro Tools a go for music writing. The only things I would really like to transfer with me are Logic's time-based effects and some of the synths. I was lucky when I got it; my parent's bought Logic for me, and then all the additional plugins back in 2002 - they daren't tell me how much it cost, but I know it was a lot! Now, you can get the whole package for 200, or thereabouts; and today's version is much more desirable.

But over the years, I've started using more and more 3rd party plugins; and now, there's very little of the native plugins that I do use anymore. But those plugins have a distinct sound to me. I love the EXS24 without any samples, purely because the bass makes an excellent sub. I know the tricks with Logic, and I'm sure switching to it on Mac won't be too much of a hassle. Even the interface is lovely for me; it's so inspirational. I haven't found anything that matches it, IMO.

But I'm always up for trying anything new out.

Maybe I should come to Spain for a bit, and we can swap tips!
I have a strong urge to move to Mac and use either Logic - which I used on PC for a bit in the late 90s - or PTs.

Like I said Sonar is what I'm using at the moment and I know it is a capable DAW just as are the others. I like using it but as it's not available for Mac, I know it won't be my long term DAW although I might still use it in the future alongside something Mac.

It has quite a good range of synths and effects and I've even bought the upgrade from Rapture LE to Rapture. This is a huge synth. Unfortunately in my hands it's not yet being pushed to its limits. Like I said before, I'm still early on in the learning process with Sonar and am working through the SOS articles, on your suggestion, plus a book Sonar 7 Power which I bought recently. Before that I was just using the DAW as a big recorder to track guitar and vocals and then do some basic processing.

My comments on Sonar really don't do it justice as I am not a power user yet.
Old 16th September 2008 , 07:48 PM
Costa Del Cool

[QUOTE=mrfracas;7782

Maybe I should come to Spain for a bit, and we can swap tips! [/QUOTE]

I'm always up for some peer learning!!!
Old 16th September 2008 , 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelan View Post
I have a strong urge to move to Mac and use either Logic - which I used on PC for a bit in the late 90s - or PTs.

Like I said Sonar is what I'm using at the moment and I know it is a capable DAW just as are the others. I like using it but as it's not available for Mac, I know it won't be my long term DAW although I might still use it in the future alongside something Mac.

It has quite a good range of synths and effects and I've even bought the upgrade from Rapture LE to Rapture. This is a huge synth. Unfortunately in my hands it's not yet being pushed to its limits. Like I said before, I'm still early on in the learning process with Sonar and am working through the SOS articles, on your suggestion, plus a book Sonar 7 Power which I bought recently. Before that I was just using the DAW as a big recorder to track guitar and vocals and then do some basic processing.

My comments on Sonar really don't do it justice as I am not a power user yet.
Hey, no worries... you're definitely helpling me understand it a little better. At least I know a bit more than the Cakewalk website lets on - that site is pretty poor, IMO.

Anyway, I don't want to go completely off subject, because I think Jeremy is trying to promote conversation about the forthcoming update to Sonar; but it's good to know that you're getting into reading plenty of articles (especially SOS, which is a great resource), and I think I've found a recent article that might help push you into exploring synths with an adventurous confidence. It's a Music Tech Mag article called Synthesis Essentials. I think, if anything, this article is good at explaining routing in synths, which I think is the daunting feature of any new synth when you open up its GUI. The article is 99p... I think it'd be worth it; and if it ain't, I'll buy you a large glass of Rioja when I pop over.