DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Technique > Recording & Mixing
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Recording & Mixing Pimped rig but got no mojo? Learn from the experts here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th November 2012 , 12:16 AM

Default Bass guitar EQ

I could do with a little advice, please.

I have been recording myself playing my Squier Affinity Jazz Bass, using fingers not a pick and with both pickups and the tone up full, plugged direct into a Focusrite Sapphire 6 USB audio interface and straight on into a 24 bit 48kHz Logic Express arrangement. So far so good.

When I come to listening to the recording it is full in the bass but there seems to be no discernable treble at all. The frequency response looks like this:

At first I wasn't worried because on my studio speakers it sounds quiet but present and pleasantly warm, as it does on headphones. On my iPod with earbuds it sounds the same but when I plugged headphones into my iPod teh bass was overwhelming. So, back to the studio.

Having listened and played with EQ I have arrived at this weird looking EQ which sounds much better but is not perfect:

The high pass has reduced the warm, full bass.

98Hz is where it has bass without being too flabby.

The cut at 166Hz is because if I swapped the cut for a 24Hz boost I get a ringing. I thought that it could be a room mode but I recordrd direct and can hear this on headphones, avoiding the room altogether. All I can think of is maybe it's the resonant frequency of the guitar.

The cut at 840Hz reduces the scratch or sharp pluck when I catch a nail on a string (because my fingernails are long enough for fingerpicking on my acoustic).

The high shelf starting at 800Hz was a desperate attempt to find some treble content and because +15db is a bit drastic I added the high cut at 10k.

I am curious as to what your thoughts are. I wonder why the recording seems to have next to no treble content and whether this is normal and whether there is a normal way to record or EQ a bass guitar.
Lester is offline Offline
Old 11th November 2012 , 06:25 PM
Mic Check 1!

Ummm... silly question... did you have the treble rolled off at the bass?
Old 11th November 2012 , 07:07 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, it's not a silly question but I did have the tone fully up. Naturally I will experiment further; I just thought there may be something obvious (like the tone control) that I have overlooked.
Lester is offline Offline