DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Technique > Recording & Mixing
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Recording & Mixing Pimped rig but got no mojo? Learn from the experts here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th October 2011 , 03:39 PM

Default Cables??!?

Im really new to recording and equipment. I have no idea of what cables to buy.

If I tell you my equipment would you be able to tell me all the cables I need?

SE2000 Condenser Mic
Xenyx1201 Behringer Mixer
Tascam US-144mk11 Audio interface
Rokit 5 Monitors
M-Audio Axiom 25 MIDI

What cables do I need to connect it altogether, start recording & producing

Thanks so much!
Luden is offline Offline
Old 5th October 2011 , 08:49 AM

Hi mate

Youíll need; starting from the top of your list.

SE2000

1 x DCS Pro 5m XLR - XLR Balanced Microphone Cable

MIXER to AUDIO CARD

1 x DV Studio Cable DVSCCRA203 3m Dual Phono - Phono Audio Cable

1 x DV Studio Cable DVSCCPR203 3m Dual Phono - Dual Jack Audio Cable

MIXER to MONITOR

DCS Pro 3m JK-XLR Active Monitor Cable

The keyboard doesnít need any other cables other than the USB cable that came with it. Since it has no onboard sounds it is purely a MIDI Device/Controller that should work seamlessly in the box i.e. connected directly to your computer.

If you havenít already paid the cash and bought the Audio device personally I would reconsider my options. For the money the card selected has very few recording options DV has a tonne of USB audio interfaces under the £150 mark such as Focusrite, Lexicon, Mackie and Yahmaha that would offer more flexibility while recording of course you might need to consider different cabling depending on which option you picked.

EDIT: Scratch the audio interface remark I just spotted your other posts and I see you already have the device.

------
weaver is offline Offline
Last edited by weaver; 5th October 2011 at 09:03 AM. . <
Old 5th October 2011 , 09:48 AM

thanks alot mate!

will it matter if I go for cheaper cables of the same sort or are they the ones I need.

Plus do you need an extra cable for the audio interface?
Luden is offline Offline
Old 5th October 2011 , 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luden View Post
thanks alot mate!

will it matter if I go for cheaper cables of the same sort or are they the ones I need.

Plus do you need an extra cable for the audio interface?

Those cables are as cheap as you’ll find anywhere on the internet give or take a couple of quid to be honest. If you were inclined that way you could be like our very own Dave Boulden and make your own cable looms and patch bays. To be honest, for me, there’s not a heck of a lot of difference price wise between making your own, to off the shelf. I like to think Dave does those types of things because he’s an enthusiast and likes to test himself and his patience to the limit.

I’m not following what you are asking regarding an extra cable for the audio interface? It should have come boxed with a USB cable, if that’s what you mean.

What I’ve given is a list of cables to go from mic >> desk(mixer) then from desk >> audio interface. You’ll notice there are two sets of cables needed from desk to audio interface in my spec. The two sets of cables are 2 x RCA output from audio interface >> desk cd/tape in(L+R) and 2 x RCA cd/tape out(L+R) >> phono (L+R) on the audio interface, these phono inputs are on the front of the audio interface one either side of the headphones input.

Two sets of cables are not really needed here you could get away with just the 2 x RCA output from the audio interface to the cd/tape in on the desk. However doing this would remove the need for a mixer completely as you are not using it for any reason other than to pass a signal through on the way to your monitors. I’ve assumed you wanted the mixer for its 48V phantom power, gain staging, eq and effects before sending the signal to the audio interface. So in short no you don’t need another cable for the interface since you’ll be going through the desk. Hope I've answered your questions.

------
weaver is offline Offline
Old 7th October 2011 , 09:53 AM

I agree with Weaver that there is very little economic advantage in DIY cabling unless you are building shedloads and can bulk buy cable and connectors.
But, having the skill and kit to do so is well worthwhile for at least two reason.

1) Repairs. That mic cable WILL go crackley Sunday night just as you have emptied the house of kids and significant other for a peacful few hours recording!

2)Special. There will always be things you want to try for which a cable either does not exist or is hard/expensive to source.

And a non-specific benefit is, making and testing your own cables will give you knowledge of audio systems hard to get any other way.

Dave.
ecc83 is offline Offline
Old 17th November 2011 , 09:59 AM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
If you were inclined that way you could be like our very own Dave Boulden and make your own cable looms and patch bays. To be honest, for me, thereís not a heck of a lot of difference price wise between making your own, to off the shelf. I like to think Dave does those types of things because heís an enthusiast and likes to test himself and his patience to the limit.
Heh heh, just spotted this

For reference, I make my own cables 'cos I got so fed up of buying cables that eventually failed due to shoddy workmanship or cheap parts. However, the point about it only being financially beneficial when buying in bulk is quite true, so I do buy in bulk and keep a stock of XLR, jack and RCA plugs and sockets and a 100m reel of mic cable to knock up whatever cables I need when I need them.

I would still argue the benefits of hardwiring your own custom installation patch panels when you have enough bits of kit to justify it, though (i.e. A bit more than just plugging it in...)
Old 17th November 2011 , 10:31 AM

"I would still argue the benefits of hardwiring your own custom installation patch panels "

Heh! I actually MADE a 3x24 patch panel about 3 years ago. Bought the jacks, ally plate (should have paid the guy to drill it PITA!)

NEVER do this, bloody madness.

Dave.
ecc83 is offline Offline