DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Technique > Recording & Mixing
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Recording & Mixing Pimped rig but got no mojo? Learn from the experts here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th November 2010 , 08:37 PM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlord View Post
Well there's a far greater depth of expertise here than me

Just feel satisfied that musically it's pretty neat, and the technical side is just homework really.

The few times i've mixed live/acoustic stuff it's mostly ear work, but there are some useful frequency guides out there if you want to take a stab at EQ'ing. Have you looked at the guide to mixing I posted here somewhere?

In fact, seeing as we both use Cubase I could run it through my setup to see how it turns out. If I only use Cubase plugins you should be able to open it up as a project file. Still won't sound any better mind
Yeah, i did look at that Guide actually. Was really informative. Would you need me to send you the actual project to be able to put it through your own system? Would be interested to see what you could do with it.
Piano is offline Offline
Old 7th November 2010 , 08:48 PM
Tarnce Monkey

I'd just need every channel exported as WAVs. You can do that easily with multi channel export in Cubase 5. Usually 24 bit is preferable but I think for these purposes 16 is fine. If you zip them all up in one folder you should be able to upload that to Mediafire no problems. Once it's done I'll send you a Cubase project and you should be able to open it up, just pointing to the folder on your machine with all the WAVs in it.

I've done this a few times before, it's good practise for me
tehlord is offline Offline
Old 7th November 2010 , 08:52 PM
Uber Member

I'll give it a try! Will give you a shout if i manage to get it done
Piano is offline Offline
Old 7th November 2010 , 09:06 PM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piano View Post
Damn, i was really hoping to get your opinion.
If you fancy a one on one coaching session at some point I'm sure we can come to some arrangement
Old 7th November 2010 , 09:31 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Just had a quick listen on my computer speakers, and a few things come to mind straight away. So here's my two penneth of humble opinion:

1) The vocals are quite spread out. I think this track would benefit from treating the vocal "group" as a single mono entitty. Since the harmonies work in an "Everly Brothers" kind of way, the main line and the harmony will work best as a unified whole, so treat them as such. Pan them all to the centre.

2) There's a similar issue with the viola/cello part along with the guitar solo part. They are meant to be the main focus in that portion of the song so, just like the main vocal, put them front-and-centre where they belong.

3) Returning to the vocals, they do need to be a bit louder, but more importantly, more intelligible, which may be helped by a boost in the centre of the vocal frequency range. Add a mild wide-Q EQ boost centered around 3kHz and then sweep the frequency up and down by a kHz or so until you find the sweet spot that brings out the intelligibility and clarity of your own voice... don't overdo it though or it will sound harsh. Normally you'd attend to this when tracking your vocal by trying a selection of microphones, preamps and mic positions until you get the best one... but for most of us, when you have limited kit, you are restricted to just the gear you have and trying different mic positions.

Just my opinion, YMMV.
Old 7th November 2010 , 10:04 PM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boulden View Post
3) ...which may be helped by a boost in the centre of the vocal frequency range. Add a mild wide-Q EQ boost centered around 3kHz and then sweep the frequency up and down by a kHz or so until you find the sweet spot that brings out the intelligibility and clarity of your own voice...
Call me old fashioned but unless I was using an inductor EQ I'd be cutting elsewhere rather than boosting. But admittedly that is and old fashioned approach
Old 7th November 2010 , 11:00 PM

First off ,.. Stop!

Print what you have its good enough as is.

That just means back it up as it is at the moment any work you do on the track from here on make it on a copy of it.

My opinion is itís a superb composition reminiscent of Teenage Fanclub, Eugenius, Bmx Bandits, The Vaselines and The Pastels.

Thereís not much more I would do with the production on it to be fair just some minor tweaking here and there, maybe mess around with the dynamics via panning automation and like Trev suggest a few little EQ cuts here and there to bring out the vocal range.

------
weaver is offline Offline
Old 8th November 2010 , 12:10 AM

I like the track i listened a few times.
Does sound a bit early lennon ish...
Agree about the cello part being panned hard needs centreing defo...
Sounds good overal...
I my self would just have the harmonies in say the chorus...
------Interested what you used to get these??------
Or even every second line in the verses??????
and the choruses.
Something i sometimes do is bounce down the vocal part through some sorta pitch changer at say an octave and a third, fourth and fifth and a lower octave
then preview the bounced vocal tracks with the backing and delete segments of the backing tracks to choirize the vocals ...like a home made backing singer choir..
maybe something you could try
inderface is offline Offline
Old 8th November 2010 , 08:51 AM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderface View Post
I like the track i listened a few times.
Does sound a bit early lennon ish...
Agree about the cello part being panned hard needs centreing defo...
Sounds good overal...
I my self would just have the harmonies in say the chorus...
------Interested what you used to get these??------
Or even every second line in the verses??????
and the choruses.
Something i sometimes do is bounce down the vocal part through some sorta pitch changer at say an octave and a third, fourth and fifth and a lower octave
then preview the bounced vocal tracks with the backing and delete segments of the backing tracks to choirize the vocals ...like a home made backing singer choir..
maybe something you could try
Interested in how i got the harmonies? I sung it.
Well initially there was no Harmony in the Verses, only the chorus. This is something i added very recently because i felt that the original melody line was weak on it's own. So i changed the melody slightly in the verses and added the harmony vocal along with it to fatten it up. I have thought the same as you though, might be better with no harmony in the verses.

I've taken the advice of panning the Cello and Guitar solo to the centre. Also i've Panned all the vocals to the centre. I haven't touched any EQ yet as i don't know what i'm doing.
Piano is offline Offline
Old 13th November 2010 , 04:31 PM
Uber Member

Been working a bit more on this track. Mainly trying to get the vocals to sit better than they did and stand out a bit more. I still intend to re-record them cos i think they could be better but i've been experimenting with them for now. I also took the advice to centre the Cello and the Guitar solo. Still don't know if i'm entirely happy with the solo either but the song as a whole is getting closer to how i want it to sound.

So, if you want to listen and offer me your opinion i'd be greatful.

http://soundcloud.com/chris-wilson-1/so-high
Piano is offline Offline
Old 13th November 2010 , 05:01 PM
Tarnce Monkey

The vocals are definately sounding much more up front now, maybe a little too much perhaps?

The piano and vocal parts could both use a bit more reverb to get them sitting in the mix, perhaps the cello too.

The drums are way too weak imo, especially the snare. The bass guitar is a little on the quiet side for me too.

It's like chasing a moving target innit

Still, love that song though
tehlord is offline Offline
Old 13th November 2010 , 08:35 PM

Quote:
Been working a bit more on this track. Mainly trying to get the vocals to sit better than they did and stand out a bit more. I still intend to re-record them cos i think they could be better but i've been experimenting with them for now. I also took the advice to centre the Cello and the Guitar solo. Still don't know if i'm entirely happy with the solo either but the song as a whole is getting closer to how i want it to sound.

So, if you want to listen and offer me your opinion i'd be greatful.

I know it appeared as if I wasnít offering much in the way of technical information in my previous post. However a key aspect of engineering/mixing is in knowing when to stop. Some engineers never master the idea. I felt your first post was a pretty decent attempt. To my ear it was tracked well, it needed a little work dynamically, a little work on separation and felt a little quiet but overall it was a pretty decent attempt.

The second post you make the vocal is sitting about where it should be however there is a little too much air in the harmonies for my taste which makes the full vocal feel like itís too far forward. As a result everything else feels as though itís too far back in the mix and needs to be controlled and brought forward to similar levels.

I use protools but Iím pretty sure most DAWís have similar routing functionality. I always set up various routing buses for applying commonly used effects such as delay or reverb. I also set up buses for groups like vocals, guitars, drums and route them through a sub-master fader where Iíll apply a little linear phase eq, linear phase multiband, limiting and or compression to help pull various frequency aspects out of the mix (from either my Waves Mercury bundle or Mcdsp Emerald). I prefer the McDsp ML4000 as it has a warmer feel which helps with the crisp sometimes harsh, to my ear, digitalness.

Have a listen to this track, I uploaded for you, paying attention to the separation and placement in the stereo field. This track was recorded in studio 3 Cherokee studios in L.A. you can head over to their site for a list of gear used. A few points before I go on, I produced mixed and engineered all the guitar sounds, Andy Johns engineered the drums and Leigh Gorman was overseeing the mix before mastering. The final mix and mastering was by John Disco (John Clark).

http://soundcloud.com/we4ver/1-1

------
weaver is offline Offline
Old 13th November 2010 , 10:45 PM
Uber Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I've tried changing things a little again. I'm really trying hard not to over do it. I don't know about you guys, but don't you find that when uploading to soundcloud you lose a helluva lot of quality? When i listen to the track on the computer the quality is a lot better than through soundcloud. I wish there was something else i could upload to as i don't think the soundcloud files are an accurate reflection of how things are actually sounding. It's close, but there is definitely a noticable difference. That aside though, i'm definitely struggling to get things just right. I've brought down the vocals a bit again, i had a maximizer on them before because they were too quiet and i think that's what brought them up too much. I was just experimenting, probably misused it. I've added a little reverb to them now, not a lot though. I also added some to the Cello, again not too much....or at least i don't think it's too much. I also had a look at the drums. I've tried to bring them out a bit more also. Hope i've not made them too loud now. If they're still not right, i'll need more advice on how to fix them. I'm using BFD2 eco so i can change things no problem, each individual drum, OH, room mic, panning etc. I've tried my best so here it is anyway.

Piano is offline Offline
Old 13th November 2010 , 10:58 PM
Round The Horn

Quote:
I wish there was something else i could upload to as i don't think the soundcloud files are an accurate reflection of how things are actually sounding.
Have you tried www.dropbox.com ? Maybe its been a while since we mentioned it around here. You get a free 2Gb upload area. You can upload a music ( or any ) file and then copy and paste a public link to that file so others can download it. It will not give you the online streaming feature of soundcloud but it does mean that whatever you upload does not get compressed.
saxman is offline Offline
Old 14th November 2010 , 10:30 AM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman View Post
Have you tried www.dropbox.com ? Maybe its been a while since we mentioned it around here. You get a free 2Gb upload area. You can upload a music ( or any ) file and then copy and paste a public link to that file so others can download it. It will not give you the online streaming feature of soundcloud but it does mean that whatever you upload does not get compressed.
I'll probably do that next time. Thanks man.
Piano is offline Offline