DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Technique > Recording & Mixing
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Recording & Mixing Pimped rig but got no mojo? Learn from the experts here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st November 2010 , 01:08 PM
Pushing the Envelope

Default Recording Fender P-Bass ACTIVE

Closer to Christmas, I'm going to be recording a lot of bass using the above.

The P-Bass is a special edition with an active output. It has the jazz pick up and the other one (clearly, I'm no bass player!!)

I have a Steinberg MR816, and a Sansamp Programmable BASS DI. I also have Amplituber Ampeg SVX which is amazing.

I'm considering getting a UA Solo 610 for the DI, and to spice up vocals a bit.

However, as it stands, what would be your preference for recording?

Would you dial in a sound on the Sansamp, or basically DI straight, and then reamp/use Amplitube for fx etc.??

The style of music will be alternative rock/synth weirdness and occasionally the bass will be playing high-up Peter Hook style chorusy basslines whilst the Moog takes care of the low end.

Any suggestions, comments or stories of how you record bass very much appreciated. And Trev - remember - you have an entire warehouse full of equipment up the road from me, so esoteric mic pres, and your wonderful mics aren't available in my little 7x7 modally incorrect room
mutilatedlip is offline Offline
Old 1st November 2010 , 05:06 PM
Mic Check 1!

If the bass can be used in passive mode, do that. You'll get more depth from the sound. I'd then go sansamp to mr816. Dial as close to the sound you want, back off the distortion a little from that and then hit record. I wouldnt buy a solo just for a DI. Good sounds start at source. If you really want to shell out some hard end, buy an FMR RNP.
Old 2nd November 2010 , 03:12 PM
Pushing the Envelope

Cheers, Trev.

At some stage I will actually visit your studio, being as I'm only up the road near Bearwood.
mutilatedlip is offline Offline
Old 3rd November 2010 , 02:43 AM

Quote:
Good sounds start at source
Amen to that lol. Kinda reminds me of what I'm constantly drilling into my own head while recording;

'Get it sounding right AT THE SOURCE'... Easier said than done, but rewarding and easier when it comes to the mixing stage I guess
Mikki Funk is offline Offline