DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Technique > Recording & Mixing
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Recording & Mixing Pimped rig but got no mojo? Learn from the experts here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd July 2009 , 08:38 AM
Tarnce Monkey

Better is probably the wrong word as in certain circles the loudest and most obvious maybe considered better

I've found I can get the punch and volume I need with Voxengo Elephant, but there's still some gloss I could add. A lot of it will be further learning but the right tools in the first place still help
tehlord is offline Offline
Old 2nd July 2009 , 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlord View Post

I've found I can get the punch and volume I need with Voxengo Elephant, but there's still some gloss I could add.help
UA plugin are all about colour and character they are very simple to use as well , the VCA VU has so much character not sure what id do without it now love it for pickaxe style kicks you know the ones that sound like somebodys knocking on your front window with a pound coin .
when pushed hard the 1176LN compressor adds a distortion character i just can't get from a distortion plugin.
The fairchild compressor is my go to compressor for bass just adds such a thick smooth gloss simple to use too i just choose the "thick bass" preset and tweek from there (EQ out the mud of course) , i also like to send all my Orchestral sounds to a buss and add the fairchild again just choose the "Orchestral" preset tweek from there and hear the Mojo.
The 'Moog Multimode Filter' is f-ing amazing just drive this thing hard if you had your eyes closed you'd think you were listening to a real moog filter.
My master channel is Precision Limiter & 4k comp as standard , theres a preset called "smooth" on the 4k total magic on the drum buss for dance music and another one called "Trance master" superb on the master channel.
Im loving the Cooper Time Cube MkII at the moment perfect for getting my little vocal snippets to sit nicely in the mix.

and as for the Neve stuff .... were do i start...........

Roll on EMT 250 , Empirical labs Fatso and Manley Massive Passive ...UA are on a roll and all the other rival manufacturers know it
cane creek is offline Offline
Old 2nd July 2009 , 11:37 AM
Tarnce Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
UA plugin are all about colour and character they are very simple to use as well , the VCA VU has so much character not sure what id do without it now love it for pickaxe style kicks you know the ones that sound like somebodys knocking on your front window with a pound coin .
when pushed hard the 1176LN compressor adds a distortion character i just can't get from a distortion plugin.
The fairchild compressor is my go to compressor for bass just adds such a thick smooth gloss simple to use too i just choose the "thick bass" preset and tweek from there (EQ out the mud of course) , i also like to send all my Orchestral sounds to a buss and add the fairchild again just choose the "Orchestral" preset tweek from there and hear the Mojo.
The 'Moog Multimode Filter' is f-ing amazing just drive this thing hard if you had your eyes closed you'd think you were listening to a real moog filter.
My master channel is Precision Limiter & 4k comp as standard , theres a preset called "smooth" on the 4k total magic on the drum buss for dance music and another one called "Trance master" superb on the master channel.
Im loving the Cooper Time Cube MkII at the moment perfect for getting my little vocal snippets to sit nicely in the mix.

and as for the Neve stuff .... were do i start...........

Roll on EMT 250 , Empirical labs Fatso and Manley Massive Passive ...UA are on a roll and all the other rival manufacturers know it
I think........I think im sold.

Back onto Ebay for that elusive sub 100 mk1 card
Old 2nd July 2009 , 11:47 AM

Quote:
I think........I think im sold.

Back onto Ebay for that elusive sub 100 mk1 card
To be honest if i was you id save somemore money and get a UAD-2 solo (abviously a duo or QUAD would be better still but i understand they are expensive)

Simply because i know from experience that nobody ever buys 1 UAD-1 you always end up buying 2,3,4 cards dont know anybody who hasnt , problem is the plugins are that impressive you just need more power to run more plugins.

So by getting the UAD-2 solo you get 4X the power of a UAD-1 yet only take up 1 slot and it seems that alot of the future plugins will be UAD-2 only like the already released 'Cooper time cube' for example which will only work on UAD-2.
Old 2nd July 2009 , 12:18 PM
Tarnce Monkey

If you buy that LA610 you COULD sell me one cheap
Old 2nd July 2009 , 12:26 PM

Quote:
If you buy that LA610 you COULD sell me one cheap
Why dont you buy the LA-610 , then sell me the LA-610 for 1000 meaning you get a the UAD-2 for 269
Old 2nd July 2009 , 12:27 PM
Tarnce Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Why dont you buy the LA-610 , then sell the LA-610 cheap to me and keep the UAU-2
If I had that money to spend I wouldn't be on fleabay looking at obsolete and used mk1 cards
Old 2nd July 2009 , 12:39 PM

same here theres a good chance im going to lose my job at the end of july (corus/steelworker) so ive got to wait til the end of july to see where i stand before i add more studio candy , i could buy the LA-610 today but i do realise that 1000 would pay my mortgage for 2 months so ill hang fire for now.
Old 2nd July 2009 , 12:51 PM
Tarnce Monkey

Fingers crossed you remain jobbed
Old 17th July 2009 , 09:13 AM

Aww crap, just when I thought I had just enough gear to be content, I wonder what to do now about post-mix, then go & read this damn thread!
I was actually just comparing a mix I had done of an old song I had recorded which I put new drums on (well BFD). The old version was mastered by a professional, my new one was just the mix at my place. Although I was happy with the mix and it now sounded better than the old version, it lacked that big, wide, fat, punchy, jinglyjangly sparkley whatever it is that the old mastered version has.

Looking at the wav in the editor, I could see that they were vastly different. On the old mastered version, the peaks are completely levelled off right up to 0db. I'm assuming that this is the limiter doing this?

Are there any tutorials or tips around about how to use limiters/compressors & EQ on post mix? I guess that as usual there can be no standard answer, but just a rough guide?

The UAD stuff looks quite amazing, but can it be used post-mix aswell? I don't mix completely in the computer.
Bloke From Barnet is offline Offline
Old 17th July 2009 , 10:11 AM
Tarnce Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloke From Barnet View Post
Aww crap, just when I thought I had just enough gear to be content, I wonder what to do now about post-mix, then go & read this damn thread!
I was actually just comparing a mix I had done of an old song I had recorded which I put new drums on (well BFD). The old version was mastered by a professional, my new one was just the mix at my place. Although I was happy with the mix and it now sounded better than the old version, it lacked that big, wide, fat, punchy, jinglyjangly sparkley whatever it is that the old mastered version has.

Looking at the wav in the editor, I could see that they were vastly different. On the old mastered version, the peaks are completely levelled off right up to 0db. I'm assuming that this is the limiter doing this?

Are there any tutorials or tips around about how to use limiters/compressors & EQ on post mix? I guess that as usual there can be no standard answer, but just a rough guide?

The UAD stuff looks quite amazing, but can it be used post-mix aswell? I don't mix completely in the computer.
If you look at the latest FM DVD interview with James Reynolds there's some very good tips at the end about mastering, although he seems to mostly use external hardware compression and EQ. He also uses a couple of DSP units for various plugins.

Im with you though. DSP is beckoning me, beckoning me hard
Old 17th July 2009 , 12:34 PM

Thanks, I'll check that one out.

I still use a mixture of external hardware and internal DSP. I mix mainly via the desk, but I bundle some channels together like guitars or backing vocals e.t.c. & route them out thru 2 channels, then I can choose if I want to use internal or external dynamics/fx. Maybe not the ideal way to work, but its what I'm used to.

No doubt about it though, DSP for particularly post-mix looks like the best cost vs result solution for a small home setup like mine.
Old 17th July 2009 , 01:35 PM

I have recently been very, **VERY** tempted to buy a Safe Sound Audio Dynamics Tool Box for the mix buss. Man...$1,450USD including Lundahls. That's a pretty fine deal...and Safe Sound is a UK-built product, right?

Frank
www.gikacoustics.com
(+44) 020 7558 8976 (UK)
FrankGIK is offline Offline
Old 20th August 2009 , 10:16 PM

I just received a very new looking UAD-1 I bought on eBlack. Anyone know where I can get a cheap PCI-E wireless card? The best I can find is 40+. I have to evict my existing PCI wireless card now for the UAD.
I'm giving up food & other non essentiels this month to get that precision limiter now, the guy I bought the card from raves about it.
Old 20th August 2009 , 11:48 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloke From Barnet View Post
I just received a very new looking UAD-1 I bought on eBlack. Anyone know where I can get a cheap PCI-E wireless card? The best I can find is 40+. I have to evict my existing PCI wireless card now for the UAD.
I'm giving up food & other non essentiels this month to get that precision limiter now, the guy I bought the card from raves about it.
yes i think il be doing the precision limiter too
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline