DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Technique > Recording & Mixing
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Recording & Mixing Pimped rig but got no mojo? Learn from the experts here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd December 2008 , 11:15 AM
Sound Guru

Cool TapeOp/Elbow/Focusrite

So... new TapeOp flew through the letterbox this morning.

In it, there's a great interview with Craig Potter from Elbow about the making of their records.

He claims that The Seldom Seen Kid was tracked mainly through a Focusrite Octopre. Also, if you believe him, it was mixed entirely ITB - no outboard at all.

Yes, that 'The Seldom Seen Kid' - the Mercury Music Prize winning Seldom Seen Kid, the Seldom Seen Kid which is widely praised as being sonically amazing (it is, IMO) - a very, very well-crafted record indeed.

The Octopre has got to be one of the most berated pieces of kit among audio pros (on the internet at least, for what that's worth) - so this serves as just more proof that it's the talent, not the tools.

He also notes that many of their B-sides are recorded on an Mbox...

Anyway, if Craig Potter, with no formal training, can make a record that sounds like that with only an Octopre and a bunch of software (mind you, he does use Pro Tools HD, and there's no doubt some expensive mics were likely used, he doesn't get into too much detail about that part of the chain) then there's hope for the future yet, and it's a message to everyone - your gear is good enough. Just find a nice room, some stunning talent, and let the rest take care of itself!*

* ahhh, if only it were ever that simple!!
whitecat is offline Offline
Old 22nd December 2008 , 11:20 AM
ndk

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
Also, if you believe him, it was mixed entirely ITB - no outboard at all.
I read that in the December issue of Sound on Sound as well.
Old 22nd December 2008 , 11:21 AM
Sound Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndk View Post
I read that in the December issue of Sound on Sound as well.
Cool - didn't catch that issue - does he mention any plug-ins? Altiverb is the only one that gets mentioned in the TapeOp article.
Old 22nd December 2008 , 12:23 PM
ndk

Altiverb is mentioned as is Waves SSL 4000-series, McDSP AC1/AC2 and DUY Tape.

Bear in mind that I don't know what I'm talking about so they could be completely wrong..
Old 22nd December 2008 , 12:32 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
So... new TapeOp flew through the letterbox this morning.
Goodness me...I still had not subscribed to this mag before seeing your post...done now. Hopefully I can still get that edition as well.

Monarch is offline Offline
Old 22nd December 2008 , 12:46 PM
Costa Del Cool

looking forward to getting that edition SOOOONN!
Old 22nd December 2008 , 04:45 PM
Rave Digga

got my copy too today in fact they sent me 2 copys of the same issue !! i think ill give one as a xmas present lol
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 22nd December 2008 , 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndk View Post
Altiverb is mentioned as is Waves SSL 4000-series, McDSP AC1/AC2 and DUY Tape.
That explains a few things...those are great plugins.

Look gents, there are some folks out there who are just naturally good at this, in the same way that there are naturally gifted musicians out there. How many of us have taken a young kid under our wing, taught him a few chords, only to find out he's WAY better than we are a year later. More than a few of us, I think. So it is with recording as well...some guys have that magical connection between their ears and the ability to formulate a vision.

I don't think anyone should be tempted by the fallacy that since this guy did it, ANYONE can. By that reasoning, since Plato was a man like any other, then ANYONE should have been able to formulate the philosophy of stoicism. Of course, that's not true. It took the particular confluence of talents into a single Plato to make that possible.

Frank
www.gikacoustics.com
(+44) 020 7558 8976 (UK)
FrankGIK is offline Offline
Old 22nd December 2008 , 10:12 PM
Sound Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankGIK View Post
That explains a few things...those are great plugins.

Look gents, there are some folks out there who are just naturally good at this, in the same way that there are naturally gifted musicians out there. How many of us have taken a young kid under our wing, taught him a few chords, only to find out he's WAY better than we are a year later. More than a few of us, I think. So it is with recording as well...some guys have that magical connection between their ears and the ability to formulate a vision.

I don't think anyone should be tempted by the fallacy that since this guy did it, ANYONE can. By that reasoning, since Plato was a man like any other, then ANYONE should have been able to formulate the philosophy of stoicism. Of course, that's not true. It took the particular confluence of talents into a single Plato to make that possible.
Sorry, I like to take stuff like this and hope for the best ...

... but ... you're absolutely right - it's the same as handing David Gilmour a piece-of-crap god-knows-who-made-it out-of-tune plywood strat copy and having him play it through a piece-of-crap solid state behringer practice amp - you know what? It will sound f*cking awesome. Better than anything I could play with a pre-CBS vintage Strat and a Carr amp.

I still stand by the fact that talent outweighs tools any day.

AND - most importantly - and if you don't agree with this then we are NO LONGER BROTHERS - they knew the value of a good room to record in. This is undeniable, and he even says in the article that [to paraphrase] "if you hear a room, it's probably a room."

This record was not done in a 400/month council flat... and it was not done with crappy mics... and it was not done with unseasoned hacks.

But still... if you really HAVE the talent then your preamps, clearly, are good enough, even if the rest of us think they're junk!

Also, lest we forget - Craig has been in this band for 18 years - in the studio, on tour, doing god-knows-what-else-what... he's been around good stuff, he's been around proper techniques, skilled engineers and talented producers and it's not like it's the first time he's set foot in a studio. That should have probably been made clearer in my original post.

But it's still... an Octopre...
Last edited by whitecat; 22nd December 2008 at 10:15 PM. . <
Old 22nd December 2008 , 10:20 PM

Quote:
AND - most importantly - and if you don't agree with this then we are NO LONGER BROTHERS - they knew the value of a good room to record in. This is undeniable, and he even says in the article that [to paraphrase] "if you hear a room, it's probably a room."
How can I disagree when you put it like that?

Nah...you're right. Room is paramount. I love records with interesting spaces and sounds on them, even if they're not *great* spaces. I've come to the conclusion that I love rich, warm, indulgent sounds that sound like the thing they are. I hate samples. I hate that I have to auto-tune, but I do it like the rest of us.

I love the Frames' album "The Cost". I love Rage Against the Machine's self-titled album. I love John Mayer's "Continuum". I love the Chili Peppers' "Blood Sugar Sex Magic". I hate albums where every drum hit is sampled. I hate albums where everything below 250Hz is mixed off so the album can be louder. I hate singers that are all auto-tune and no pitch.

Appropos of nothing. End rant.

We're still brothers, T3.

Frank
www.gikacoustics.com
(+44) 020 7558 8976 (UK)
Old 4th January 2009 , 01:40 PM

Hi I'm new to the forums but use the shops quite a lot, but felt the need to post on this thread.

After reading the same reports on a few different forums I thought I'd pipe up that I've heard off a few diferent people in the Manchester area that it was recorded at blueprint studios. Whether or not it was one with the minimalist amount of gear claimed would be hard to prove but after hearing that Bon Iver album recently and then these claims I think that it can only be a good thing as a form of encouragement to everyone that it's possible to get proffesional, commercially saleable results without having to spend trillions of quids.

cheers,

Cz
Circlezero is offline Offline
Old 5th January 2009 , 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circlezero View Post
Hi I'm new to the forums but use the shops quite a lot, but felt the need to post on this thread.

After reading the same reports on a few different forums I thought I'd pipe up that I've heard off a few diferent people in the Manchester area that it was recorded at blueprint studios. Whether or not it was one with the minimalist amount of gear claimed would be hard to prove but after hearing that Bon Iver album recently and then these claims I think that it can only be a good thing as a form of encouragement to everyone that it's possible to get proffesional, commercially saleable results without having to spend trillions of quids.

cheers,

Cz
Couldn't agree more.

Frank
www.gikacoustics.com
(+44) 020 7558 8976 (UK)
Old 12th January 2009 , 08:04 PM

Default Seldom Heard Mastering.... Kid!

For me, one of the important things about the latest Elbow album, was the way it was mastered. Not squashed to hell.... and given the 'Turn Me Up seal of approval.
Old 13th January 2009 , 09:06 AM
Costa Del Cool

Finally...Tape Op came through my letterbox! I've really been looking forward to this...straight to the Elbow interview...
Old 19th January 2009 , 02:55 PM

Two of the guys from Elbow are in the studio at the moment producing "I am Kloot" 's new album.

Should be a good un.