DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Technique > Recording & Mixing
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Recording & Mixing Pimped rig but got no mojo? Learn from the experts here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th January 2011 , 04:59 PM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebearddub View Post
what about these as a matched pair for recording acoustic trev?

http://www.dv247.com/microphones/se-...mic-set--70292
I'd have to be going for a particular vibe to use a ribbon on acoustic guitar as they tend to roll of sharply in the high end (which is where the 'sparkle' on an acoustic guitar lives. Would probably work ok in a rock mix or if you were going for a 50s kind of vibe though. For solo acoustic stuff I'd be more likely to try a condenser first. Of course if that kind of vibe works for you then its al good. There is no wrong in this game: if it sounds good, it is good!
Old 7th January 2011 , 04:09 PM

cheers trev, i think ill go with another rode m3 or similar type cond mic, i just want a bigger sounding acoustic, ive tried just copying and pasting a track with different room settings etc. in logic to give a bit more dept etc and im kinda settling on a sound that i like, this is ok as long as i dont change acoustics too often !, recording them is also helping me recognize the different characteristics each acoustic has and how to get the most from them.
bluebearddub is offline Offline
Old 5th February 2011 , 09:34 AM
Uber Member

This is an issue i'm having problems with. My acoustic tracks are sounding harsh and i can't figure out where i'm going wrong. I don't know if i'm miking too close, or if it's my room, or perhaps that i'm running straight into the mixers preamps and not using a better quality one as yet. I'm using 2 rode NT5's as most of you know but when i'm listening back, the guitar sounds harsh and rough. Just not easy on the ears. The Guitar doesn't sound like this to my ears but when i record it and ultimately have to raise the level of it, it just starts to sound metallicy and rough, almost like the strings are scraping out the chords. Hard to explain what i mean. I Mic in an XY position both a bout 8 inches from the 12th fret. I've tried other positions but it's not helping. Any ideas?
Piano is offline Offline
Old 5th February 2011 , 09:48 AM
Mic Check 1!

It could be that your ears are developing such that you are now noticing the weaknesses in your recording chain. (If you read way back to some of my original posts that you didn't like this is what I was trying to say then.) While the nt5 is a good bang for buck mic it isn't a 'great' mic.

(I do hope you aren't about to become a gear snob )
Old 5th February 2011 , 09:50 AM

PIano,

Borrow an SM57. Not my choice but as I say Son loves it for guitar and complains about capacitors for much the same reasons as you quote.

Or. The Shiny Box ribbon seems to get a good rep for the money?

Dave.
ecc83 is offline Offline
Old 5th February 2011 , 04:42 PM
Uber Member

I have an SM57 and might give that a try. I think i did actually try it once before and didn't really like it but i can't really remember. I have however tried my m-audio solaris on the acoustic Guitar, but again it sounded harsh. I'll try the SM57 and see how that goes. I actually bought the SM57 mainly for miking my amp but have come to prefer the NT5's for that purpose.

Thanks for the recommendation as well, i'm sure i read somewhere that the shiny box wasn't a bad mic for the price. I would really like to take a step up though if i'm going to buy something new

Is there any other mic's that have a really good reputation when it comes to recording acoustic Guitars? because my acoustic tracks have been really disappointing to my ears and it's down to how the Acoustic Guitars are sounding. I would be willing to spend a fair bit if i could achieve the sound i'm looking for. Mainly just less harsh and almost "scrapy" sounding. I can't continue using these mic's for this purpose if they are what the problem is. I'd be willing to spend about £500. I could be flexible with price mind you.

How about the SM7B? I'm intending to buy that anyway. But if there is something more appropriate for what i'm looking for, i'll buy that instead.
Piano is offline Offline
Last edited by Piano; 5th February 2011 at 04:55 PM. . <
Old 5th February 2011 , 05:19 PM
Uber Member

Ha! Just noticed that cheeky comment at the end of your post Trev! Lol
Piano is offline Offline
Old 5th February 2011 , 05:31 PM
Mic Check 1!

Shure sm81 is kinda the cheapest pro level sdc. If yOuncan spend a bit more and you want something really high with a great top end sparkle but which is not harsh take a look at the mercenary km69.fLicking up the price, if you can find a great condition km84 that's a stunning mic. The e22s is a great modern mic with a similar vibe. If you wanna shoot really high end I'm loving what my Elam 251 does. Of course all of these depend on the vibe you are after and as ever ymmv
Old 5th February 2011 , 05:41 PM
Uber Member

Cheers Trev, i shall look those up and see how much i can stretch to!
Piano is offline Offline
Old 5th February 2011 , 05:59 PM
Uber Member

I reckon i could stretch to the mercenary KM69! Couldn't afford a matched pair mind you but one would do, could maybe afford another later on. The SM81 is a good price too mind you.

I'm trying to think of a track to explain the type of sound that i'm after but can't really think of anything in particular. I just know i would like a smoother less harsh sound than i'm currently getting. Most of my acoustic Guitar tracks tend to be mostly strumming acoustic Guitar as opposed to picking but i do occasionally have that. The NT5's will still be useful for recording electric Guitar, been happy with them in that application.

I do have a tendency to bring the acoustic Guitars too forward when mixing as well mind you and that probably doesn't help matters. Definitely finding it hard to find the correct balance with acoustic tracks but i think with practice i'll get there. I've already found myself going back to earlier mixes to change some things here and there having picked up tips over time, especially with regards to getting the most from my DAW and the tools within it.

Anyway, that's another mic added to the shopping list. Hopefully it will be more what i'm looking for!

Thanks!
Piano is offline Offline
Last edited by Piano; 5th February 2011 at 06:02 PM. . <
Old 5th February 2011 , 07:32 PM
Mic Check 1!

Maybe before you go and buy something that might not work for your sense of aesthetic it might be worth your while shooting some mics out. I've been pondering doing some workshops for a while. I'm gonna start doing them regularly once my build is finished. You interested?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piano View Post
I reckon i could stretch to the mercenary KM69! Couldn't afford a matched pair mind you but one would do, could maybe afford another later on. The SM81 is a good price too mind you.

I'm trying to think of a track to explain the type of sound that i'm after but can't really think of anything in particular. I just know i would like a smoother less harsh sound than i'm currently getting. Most of my acoustic Guitar tracks tend to be mostly strumming acoustic Guitar as opposed to picking but i do occasionally have that. The NT5's will still be useful for recording electric Guitar, been happy with them in that application.

I do have a tendency to bring the acoustic Guitars too forward when mixing as well mind you and that probably doesn't help matters. Definitely finding it hard to find the correct balance with acoustic tracks but i think with practice i'll get there. I've already found myself going back to earlier mixes to change some things here and there having picked up tips over time, especially with regards to getting the most from my DAW and the tools within it.

Anyway, that's another mic added to the shopping list. Hopefully it will be more what i'm looking for!

Thanks!
Old 5th February 2011 , 07:59 PM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
Maybe before you go and buy something that might not work for your sense of aesthetic it might be worth your while shooting some mics out. I've been pondering doing some workshops for a while. I'm gonna start doing them regularly once my build is finished. You interested?
Sure i'd be interested! That would be ideal!
Piano is offline Offline
Old 5th February 2011 , 08:50 PM
Furry Filter Phreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piano View Post
This is an issue i'm having problems with. My acoustic tracks are sounding harsh and i can't figure out where i'm going wrong. I don't know if i'm miking too close, or if it's my room, or perhaps that i'm running straight into the mixers preamps and not using a better quality one as yet. I'm using 2 rode NT5's as most of you know but when i'm listening back, the guitar sounds harsh and rough. Just not easy on the ears. The Guitar doesn't sound like this to my ears but when i record it and ultimately have to raise the level of it, it just starts to sound metallicy and rough, almost like the strings are scraping out the chords. Hard to explain what i mean. I Mic in an XY position both a bout 8 inches from the 12th fret. I've tried other positions but it's not helping. Any ideas?
Position sounds good to me, but im no expert - its about where I would attack a guitar by default.

First thought before thinking of spending cash - if really metallic and harsh - to me sound more like a mic-pre/ADC issue (and those terms pretty well fits my description of Yamaha stuff except their very high end gear) and/or room ringing. I dont know if the N12 has any processing capability, but if it does - make sure its all bypassed.

You can figure out if room ringing just by listening to the room when you clap you hands hard once - not through gear, just with you ears driectly.

If just too much presence (and only seems harsh), but still smooth, then maybe its your mic and EQ might make it acceptable (dip a couple of dB above 5K - maybe a shelf).
Last edited by Khazul; 5th February 2011 at 08:52 PM. . <
Old 7th February 2011 , 10:23 AM

Iím going to assume that you actually like the quality of sound while you play the acoustic and that this might be your problem. Iím saying that your listening position might need covered also. Whenever Iíve recorded acoustic guitars while playing I normally use 3 or more tracks with at least one covering my listening position. An example might be a matched pair in XY plus something on a boom over the shoulder at or about ear height ish. Again preís and mics are down to tastes and budget.

------
weaver is offline Offline
Old 10th February 2011 , 07:31 PM

Another good alternative for me is an AT2020 and Audio Kontrol 1 interface.