DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Technique > Recording & Mixing
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Recording & Mixing Pimped rig but got no mojo? Learn from the experts here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th September 2008 , 12:18 PM

Default Help - I needs to buy mics for a drumkit

I'm recording a live session for a friend on Saturday, and he's kind-of caused me a bit of bother here, by switching the session from a cheery, easy-going vocals+guitar to vocals+acousticguitar+electricguitar+bassguitar+dr ums . The electric guitar and the bass are no problem, but the drums, well, ah.

Now, I've got an SM57 which I can use for the kick drum, but I need to buy a cable and stand for it, so that's 20 out of the budget. Since I already have three phantom-powered mics, the SM57 hooked up via an ART Preamp, the bass DI'd and the electric guitar line-in'd, I only have space on my NRV10 mixing desk for another two mics. This is good, because I'm pratically skint.

At the moment, I'm giving serious thought to buying a pair of Behringer C2s, and using them in conjunction with the SM57 for a stereo recording of how the drumkit sounds to someone in the room with it, since I'm not going to be able to individually mic each drum and mix them all together the pro way.

Question is, should I buy the Behringer C2s, or should I upgrade a little? And should I go large condenser rather than small condenser? The mics and the cables and the stands are already costing 110, so a few quid extra wouldn't hurt, but I don't want to spend too much.

What d'you reckon?
RedDavid is offline Offline
Old 17th September 2008 , 12:37 PM
Mic Check 1!

I'd go SDC if I was you. They tend to colour the sound less. Best bang for buck SDC that I've used is the Audix F15 (which appears to be the only Audix mic DV doesnt sell!) If you can get hold of a pair they are cheap enough to allow you to get another mic for snare (whether that's another SM57 or something like an Oktava 219 ... which is excellent for this purpose)
Old 17th September 2008 , 02:09 PM

Cheers, Trev. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to spring for Audix or the Oktavas (way beyond budget - those 45 C2s were a stereo pair), but cheers for putting me in the right direction. By the way, you don't fancy knocking together a "Recording Awesome Drums With **** Gear", do you?
RedDavid is offline Offline