DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Technique > Recording & Mixing
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Recording & Mixing Pimped rig but got no mojo? Learn from the experts here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th September 2008 , 03:52 PM
DV Staff

Default Classic Books

Shall we have a classic books thread? What music tech/production/ music related books would you recommend and why?

Currently I'm looking through 'Recording The Beatles'. Some excellent information in there... already a classicin some circles. Just finished a first edition of 'the microphone handbook' by john eargle. It gets pretty in depth but is WELL worth the read.

More to follow...
dvdan is offline Offline
Old 11th September 2008 , 05:23 PM
Forum Idol

probably about to be smashed to pieces by other members but
music theory: the AB guide to music theory 1&2
Production: The dance music manual by rick snowman
Logic users: Logic 8 and Logic Express 8 by David Nahmani
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Last edited by sureno; 11th September 2008 at 11:08 PM. . <
Old 11th September 2008 , 05:59 PM
Costa Del Cool

I'm working through Cakewalk Synthesizers by Simon Cann Cakewalk Books -Cakewalk Synthesizers at the moment.
I also have The Guide to Midi Orchestration by Paul Gilreath on my shelf which I refer to from time to time.
sphelan is offline Offline
Old 11th September 2008 , 08:51 PM
Mic Check 1!

• The Mix Engineers Handbook (Owsinski) is pretty much required reading.
  • Modern Recording Techniques ain't bad
  • For Protools users "Session Secrets" has a couple of neat tricks
  • Bob Katz's Mastering Audio is excellent
  • F
    Alton Everest's Book on acoustics is heavy going but a goldmine if you are planning to build a place.
Old 11th September 2008 , 09:17 PM

I have a nice one for people who are starting into the audio "industry" , it is by a portuguese author but i do not know if it has translations.
The name of the book is "Introdução à Engenharia de Som" written by Nuno Fonseca who works at AES.
It explains quite well sound engeneering without the calculations behind it.
Old 11th September 2008 , 10:19 PM
Administrator

Not the easiest of reads but it has an insight into the making of some classic albums and recording sessions...
'Good Vibrations"
Old 12th September 2008 , 07:36 AM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
  • The Mix Engineers Handbook (Owsinski) is pretty much required reading.
  • Modern Recording Techniques ain't bad
  • For Protools users "Session Secrets" has a couple of neat tricks
  • F
    Alton Everest's Book on acoustics is heavy going but a goldmine if you are planning to build a place.
Nice bedtime reading there, Trev! Just what I need after a hard day running around after the little fella!

I've heard good reports on The Mix Engineers Handbook. Is it fairly comprehensive?

Some of the comments on Modern Recording Techniques at Amazon.com: Modern Recording Techniques, Sixth Edition: David Miles Huber, Robert E. Runstein: Books are quite conflictive...but then I suppose you can't pleaz all da people all a da time!!
Old 12th September 2008 , 07:39 AM
Costa Del Cool

Has anyone else been given a christmas present of this?

Amazon.com: 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die: Robert Dimery, Michael Lydon: Books

Very light reading and definately not a CLASSIC in my opinion. It's not even good for propping up the bed!!
Old 12th September 2008 , 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
  • F. Alton Everest's Book on acoustics is heavy going but a goldmine if you are planning to build a place.
If you haven't read those two, I'd *strongly* suggest them. They were required reading when I was an intern, then again when I was getting my CTS certification. I still refer to both of them all the time.

Frank
www.gikacoustics.com
(+44) 020 7558 8976 (UK)
FrankGIK is offline Offline
Old 13th September 2008 , 11:07 AM
Furry Filter Phreak

In my collection:

Dance Music Manual - Rick Snoman - great starting point covering aspects of dance music production - good for other stuff too.

Mastering Audio (the science and the art) - Bob Katz - alot of useful
production tricks - assumes you know what you are doing

Creative Recording 1 & 2 Paul White (Editor SOS magazine) - lot of useful roduction tricks - including ADT

Recording and production techniques - Paul White - more or the above, but more focus on end to end production

Mixing Engineers Handbook - Bobby Owsinski - lots of tips from established engineers - more of an insight book than a how to

Critical Listening Skills for AudioProfessionals by F.Alton Everest - Listening training for engineers - actually really useful to help you understand the detail of what you hear in a mix while working on it.
Khazul is offline Offline
Old 17th September 2008 , 07:21 AM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul View Post
Dance Music Manual - Rick Snoman - great starting point covering aspects of dance music production - good for other stuff too.
I haven't found a lot of info on this book but at Books - Dance Music Manual - 9780240519159 - Details it says:

Whatever your level of experience, The Dance Music Manual is packed with sound advice, techniques and practical examples to help you achieve professional results. Written by a professional producer and remixer, the book is organised into three accessible sections: Technology and theory If you re relatively new to the technology and theory behind today s dance music, Rick Snoman discusses the basics of MIDI, synthesis and sampling, as well as music theory, effects, compression, microphone techniques and sound design. Dance genres This section covers techniques for producing different musical styles, including Trance, Trip Hop, Rap and House. Snoman takes a close look at the general programming principles behind drum loops, basses and leads for each genre, in addition to the programming and effects used to create the sounds. Mixing and promotion Snoman guides you through the art of mixing, mastering, remixing, pressing and publishing your latest masterpiece. This includes a look at how record companies operate, copyrighting your material, pressing your own records and the costs involved. Finally, guest contributors offer essential advice on DJ ing and how to create your own website to promote your music. The CD provides demo tracks showing what can be achieved when applying the advice contained in the book, including examples of the quality difference before and after mixing and mastering. The CD also contains free software demos for you to download. For even more advice and resources, check out the book s official website Dance Music Production * Learn the art of creating original dance tracks and remixes using any music software * Packed with examples and tips for achieving professional results and getting your music heard * Includes a free CD-Rom with MIDI files, samples and example tracks

How complete is it Khazul for a beginner who knows a little about dance music?
Old 17th September 2008 , 09:31 AM
Furry Filter Phreak

It pretty much covers all aspects. From technology and basic music theory to production techniques and many genres.

Sections cover music theory, midi, synthesis, sampling, drum programming, common signal processors and effects, writing (song maps etc), mastering and production, remixinbg and the legal side of it, promotion, a bit on DJing, loads of aspect of various genres (but was written before current electro house/tech house etc), and quite a bit about various class dance musinc synths and drum machines etc.

If you want an understanding of pretty much all the bases then its very good. I bought it so my girlfriend would have a good reference as quite a few producers I know recommended it. I found it quite useful in some places as well (I used to be professionally involved in mxing and production years ago, so didnt need that side of it), however it still provided me with alot of useful insights here and there.

Its well written, easy to take in, but definately not simplistic - it assumes you have a brain - ie not for hip-hop producers

Can definately recommend it.
Khazul is offline Offline
Old 17th September 2008 , 09:36 AM
Keeper o' the Keys!

I'd recommend another Bob Owsinski book, The Recording Engineers Handbook... covers a lot of the basics and terminology used in recording, would serve as a very useful primer and reference for anyone starting out in recording.
Old 17th September 2008 , 11:41 AM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boulden View Post
I'd recommend another Bob Owsinski book, The Recording Engineers Handbook... covers a lot of the basics and terminology used in recording, would serve as a very useful primer and reference for anyone starting out in recording.
+1 Dave, will check it out.
Old 17th September 2008 , 11:42 AM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul View Post
Its well written, easy to take in, but definately not simplistic - it assumes you have a brain - ie not for hip-hop producers
LOL Just as well I'm on record as saying hip hop isn't really my thing! I feel better now.