DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Old 12th July 2011 , 02:02 PM
Son of 'Z'

Default Reason 6!

Is due this September.

As I felt and predicted when I got Record....they are doing away with the split app structure. Record is dead. From now on it's back to Reason...Buttt... They have actually killed the old Reason, and renamed Record to take it's place. Record was the one that could do everything. Reason couldn't have Neptune, audio, SSL modelled mixer. These features are now included in Reason. Do you think they rewrote the code for Reason..nah. Blatent name change for Record

Of the new features, 'The Echo' is the one that grabbed my attention most.

It's about £65-70 upgrade for people who previously own Record & Reason together. I was gonna sell up and back back to Logic full time. But since it's not a lot of money for a rather cool feature...I will wait and upgrade !
EdRyan is offline Offline
Old 12th July 2011 , 03:38 PM
Sound Guru

Man, if they put VST or AU support in there they'd probably have a genuine contender for a music creation DAW... not that it "isn't" but now it's just that one feature short of being able to play side by side with Logic, for example... and yet there are still things in there that seem better.

I used to use Reason in conjunction with Pro Tools (via Rewire) as my 'ROMpler' tool. Have since moved on, but it does look cooler with every incarnation.
Old 14th July 2011 , 12:26 AM
Son of 'Z'

I doubt Reason will ever directly see VST/AU support. It's something that Props are very staunch about. I met some of their team at an event in London last year and they got pretty upset when people asked them about it. But the basic gist of it. They feel that the framework for writing in these sdk's isn't strrong enough to be reliable. Developers have too much choice. Most write poor code, and every time Apple or Steinberg update the SDK...Props would have to work to accommodate the changes.

What we might possibly see is props create an app for purely hosting 3rd party plugins. Using Rewire as a bridge to pass audio and midi to it. This way, they don't have to code VST/AU support directly into their apps. But can plug it in...oh and guess what. It being a separate app...charge for it.
Old 14th July 2011 , 10:32 AM
Tarnce Monkey

Reason 4 was the first 'DAW' I bought and although I kinda liked it, there was always something missing for me.

The addition of the mixer from Record and audio recording make this a pretty tempting prospect now i'd say. I don't think it'd ever replace Cubase for me (in fact I know it won't) but I could see it on a laptop as a sketchpad, and a pretty powerful one at that.
tehlord is offline Offline
Old 14th July 2011 , 10:52 AM
Sound Guru

Well, if they grab enough market share they could also introduce their own proprietary plug-in format. Not sure how well that would go down with the industry at large but it's an option. I think you're right, it will probably be a very long while before we see plugs supported generally, but that "little thing" aside it's all in all a pretty powerful package. Will of course be very interested to hear how it all sounds.
Old 14th July 2011 , 12:13 PM
Tarnce Monkey

The audio engine in Record was supposed to be pretty neat, and the SSL (?) emulations up there with the best so I've heard. I always thought the rest of the 'plugins' were somewhere between ok and good but they've made steady improvements to those over the last couple of years, although the last version I bought was 4 so I don't know anything after that.

If I did buy into Reason again i'd be 100% happy for them to never support VST as I think I see it as a very, very powerful app more than anything else. I don't want to have to worry about VST install paths, compatability, CPU usage etc etc. The extremely low CPU usage is a big bonus tbh.
tehlord is offline Offline
Old 15th July 2011 , 12:23 AM
Son of 'Z'

Yeah. I was gonna sell up from Reason & Record. But since it's only about £70 to upgrade, I will keep it and give a go. I've not written a track in either for a while. But I do like taking stems and processing and mixing in Record..
Old 20th July 2011 , 06:14 AM

In full agreement with everything tehlord just mentioned.

Also really happy they've gone 64-bit too.

Still running on Reason 4 alone. I'm kinda happy enough that they're keeping it a closed environment. I currently use Reaper or Sonar if I want the audio-recording capabilities and was a large part of why I didn't buy into the Record upgrade initially...
Old 20th July 2011 , 12:05 PM
Administrator

From the DV Magazine on this very subject http://magazine.dv247.com/2011/07/12...-6-essentials/
Old 27th October 2011 , 04:51 PM

So I've finally ported all my software and plugins over to my new Windows 7 64bit box. As always with any new OS there were one or two teething problems. The Windows 7 UAC being the major culprit, however once I got my head around how the UAC integrates it was pretty much plain sailing from then on.

I'm posting this here as the newest software I have is Reason 6. I havenít played around with it as much as I'd like to yet however first impressions are extremely good. I love the ability to undock the rack, sequencer and mixer. I run a dual monitor set up so I have the rack and sequencer detached and running on 1 monitor and the mixer section on the other. I love the sound of the mixer and its bus compression, it also has masses of functionality that would suit most mixes. I may well add to this post as I explore Reason 6 further and find out about it's little quirks and limitations but so far I'm liking what I've seen.

------
weaver is offline Offline
Old 10th December 2011 , 05:11 PM

When separated, does the rack window finally make use of the whole screen? As it only takes up a small position on all the previous versions I've used (from 2.5 on)
Old 11th December 2011 , 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariunas View Post
When separated, does the rack window finally make use of the whole screen? As it only takes up a small position on all the previous versions I've used (from 2.5 on)
Yes it does and it also introduces multiple racks if needed from left to right.

------
weaver is offline Offline