DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Old 23rd June 2010 , 11:06 PM
joe

Question NNXT vs.Thor

Hi I am using a Roland spd8 on my drum kit which I have attached to my lap top via midi and have been experimenting with triggering sounds from reason.
I want to be able to assign a variety of sounds to the 8 pads, this seems easy to do when using the NNXT, but I really want to be able to use some of the sounds found in Thor too. Can I do this? If so how?
I have tried opening Thor patches in the NNXT but it doesn't work. I could record the audio in Pro Tools save it as a WAV file and open that in the NNXT but surely there's an easier way?
joe is offline Offline
Old 24th June 2010 , 12:43 AM
Son of 'Z'

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
Hi I am using a Roland spd8 on my drum kit which I have attached to my lap top via midi and have been experimenting with triggering sounds from reason.
I want to be able to assign a variety of sounds to the 8 pads, this seems easy to do when using the NNXT, but I really want to be able to use some of the sounds found in Thor too. Can I do this? If so how?
I have tried opening Thor patches in the NNXT but it doesn't work. I could record the audio in Pro Tools save it as a WAV file and open that in the NNXT but surely there's an easier way?
Hmmm. What a good question...

Are you trying to trigger Thor to generate sound using the pads rather then keys...or are you trying to use the pads to switch effects on/off etc.

Aside from switching oscillators, EQ and effects on or off...I can't think of much use for pads in Thor.

If you are wanting to 'play' Thor with the pads. 8 would be no good...because you efectively only have 8 notes. I can do this with my Lunachpad because Automap allows you to swithc the type of midi message the device sends by flicking through the pages..and with 64 pads...it's quite nice to setup a harmonic table to play. Im not sure if this is possible with the Roland device.
EdRyan is offline Offline
Old 24th June 2010 , 09:25 AM
joe

What I wanted to do is having found or manipulated a sound on thor being able to load that sound into the NNXT, if I use the pads to control thor it works fine but I have to have one sound on all of the pads, although I can change the pitch. What I'd like is to be able to load the sounds into the NNXT either as samples, or link the devices so that I can assign pads to different devices.
Am I making sense?
joe is offline Offline
Old 24th June 2010 , 09:27 AM
Tarnce Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
What I wanted to do is having found or manipulated a sound on thor being able to load that sound into the NNXT, if I use the pads to control thor it works fine but I have to have one sound on all of the pads, although I can change the pitch. What I'd like is to be able to load the sounds into the NNXT either as samples, or link the devices so that I can assign pads to different devices.
Am I making sense?
I think exporting the Thor sound as a WAV is the best solution, although I've not used Reason in ages so I don't know what kind of routing is possible.

Why can't you just use a MIDI controller keyboard to trigger or play Thor?
tehlord is offline Offline
Old 30th July 2010 , 01:20 AM

I think you can only use the triggers wit sample's. If ur tryna do wat i think ur tryna do,i agree wit tehlord,export d sounds & then import them into reason soundbank as a sample & then u can use d trigger if dats wat ur tryna do. Hope dis helps. Possibly u can try rewireing d bk of d two device's by pressing tab. Peace
Dru crazy is offline Offline
Last edited by Dru crazy; 30th July 2010 at 01:23 AM. . <