DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Digital Audio Sequencers > Reason
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Reason Discuss Propellerheads unique platform..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th September 2009 , 08:08 PM
Son of 'Z'

Default Initial Reactions to Record & Reason

Well. I did try the beta. But since I had an older version of Reason, I couldn't really judge it. Props pricing structure regarding old license's makes it clear that they want people to come back and try the updates. Infact the only Reason I bought Record was because of the pricing. Otherwise I would not have been so patient.

From the Beta, it was clear the new SSL modelled mix engine does have almost endless bounds of sonic glue. A point reaffirmed by me just opening Reason demo projects in Record. In a way that's hard to describe, you can hear the difference. It gets a big thumbs up here.

The integration is as promised, flawless. No rewiring the apps together. Record pretty much takes over. I can't see me opening Reason on it's own very often. That said, without the Reason elements, I wouldn't of even considered Record. They really do need each other to be worthwhile imo.

Speaking of Rewire, it does behave well (so far) when hooked up to Logic9. I have had nightmares with previous versions (Reason3 and Logic8) falling down miserably together.

The Line6 processors are very, very good. That said, I still think they are spanked by the equivalent upgrades in Logic 9. Logic's effort are much more flexible,tweakable and fun to look at. But considering how many people use Line6 pods, Im sure they will be loved. The Basspod is especially handy on Malstrom patches. Quite a range of basses to be had here now, from the realistic to the outrageously fake..

Authorizing Record was very straight forward. My only dislike is that there appears to be a kernel modification in order for the 'Ignite Key' (or more commonly known as a dongle) to work. The dongle itself is actually quite nice, but a very distincitve shade of red. I worry someone who knows what to look for would know to take it.
Reason was not so straight forward. To use it, you have to install and authorize Record first. The license shows up on your props 'my products page' but can't be used until you have launched Record first, in order to detect and then authorise Reason via the Ignite Key. After that you can input the serial as normal into Reason, and Reason will work without the key or online verification. It just goes as normal. This would be the only time I would write in Reason now. If I have no dongle and unlucky to be out of wifi.
But generally, I am glad of the options to authorize the software. It means I don't have to always have the dongle in, which considering there are only 2 USB ports on my macbook is a very good thing. My interface takes up 1 of those, so it would have meant using a latency-inducing hub to hook the dongle and a midi/usb controller up in the other port.

I will post more up the more I play. But so far, so good overall
EdRyan is offline Offline
Old 10th September 2009 , 10:55 AM
Administrator

Sounding good Ed.. looking forward to more findings
Old 14th September 2009 , 07:48 AM
Son of 'Z'

Have put this down over the weekend.

My excuse? A MicroKorg and LiquidMix turned up. I will have another play with Recrod today and let you know how we go !
EdRyan is offline Offline