DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Old 28th October 2011 , 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
Really though, do you need HDX? It may be a nice 'to have' but it's priced to be affordable for high end commercial studios, post houses etc and tbh, if they can't afford it then they are probably no longer viable as businesses anyway. HD Native should provide all the features most music studios would want. Unless you are running a desk and lots of outboard Native should really be fine.

There's no question about it Trev that's exactly where the price point is set. Personally I'm a Pro Tools fanatic there really is nothing to rival it on the market. We all lauded Avid when they ported it to Native, I certainly did, even though my set up included previously compatible hardware. At the time I welcomed the prospect of an influx of new PT home users. Sadly in my opinion with this release it is however getting to the stage where the home user is almost being priced out of the market, which I think may well be a mistake.

------
weaver is offline Offline
Old 30th October 2011 , 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
Sadly in my opinion with this release it is however getting to the stage where the home user is almost being priced out of the market, which I think may well be a mistake.

Couldn't agree more....

Yer I mean lets be honest here.

HDX is no more than a posh graphics card, only it's for audio. I really don't see why us audio lovers should be extorted. Avid need a reality check.

Sure, when you are company it's all TAX returnable.

What about the independent musician who want to build HD system? What do they do?

No, I'm not selling a body part.

The simple fact of the matter is the products are grossly overpriced. I do not hold distributors accountable for this.

Side note:
AAX DSP and AAS Native.
FRETPICK is offline Offline
Last edited by FRETPICK; 30th October 2011 at 04:21 AM. . <
Old 30th October 2011 , 09:29 AM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
There's no question about it Trev that's exactly where the price point is set. Personally I'm a Pro Tools fanatic there really is nothing to rival it on the market. We all lauded Avid when they ported it to Native, I certainly did, even though my set up included previously compatible hardware. At the time I welcomed the prospect of an influx of new PT home users. Sadly in my opinion with this release it is however getting to the stage where the home user is almost being priced out of the market...
------
er... forgive my ignorance... why? If you don't need an hdx system? Heck it wont cost you a single penny to continue to use PT9.

Quote:
What about the independent musician who want to build HD system?
Native is aimed squarely at you. Why do you need an HDX system? Seriously? I don't get it?
Last edited by TrevCircleStudios; 30th October 2011 at 09:32 AM. . <
Old 30th October 2011 , 01:24 PM

Quote:
er... forgive my ignorance... why? If you don't need an hdx system? Heck it wont cost you a single penny to continue to use PT9.

To upgrade from PT M-Powered 8.005 to PT9 would cost me 239 if I buy directly from Avid through my account and 229 if I go through DV, there's also a 210 upgrade option using an activation licence and download from Avid. That's a massive 10 saving in the first example and 19 in the second, it's not much agreed but it's still a tenner or a score I could keep in my pocket. If instead I decided to buy a full new release of PT9, as I normally do when a new version is brought to the market, then I can expect to pay 389 minimum for the software only version or 479.95 for PT10. I would also have to upgrade my plug-ins some of which carry a free upgrade however the same cannot be said for others. I'm sure you can already appreciate that in the current financial climate, and as we quickly approach the festive season, the home users budget is already stretched somewhat.

You see what I'm driving at now Trev the very cheapest I could go to PT9 is 210 which is roughly 130 more expensive than previous upgrades, it's slightly better for LE users who can upgrade for 90 which is more in line with previously released pricing structures. I think there's been a slight misunderstanding somewhere mate the upgrade to PT9 is only free if you purchased and registered PT8 after 25th March 2011 and the free upgrade facility from PT9 to PT10 has only a limited lifespan, so far it consists of product bought this month with no signs of being extended. Therefore if the home user buys outside of the free upgrade limitations they would either have to buy the upgrade to PT9 or miss PT9 completely going straight to the PT10 upgrade for 330 which is still 120 more expensive than the cheapest PT9 upgrade.

------
Last edited by weaver; 30th October 2011 at 01:26 PM. . <
Old 30th October 2011 , 03:59 PM
Mic Check 1!

so I guess the question for you is are the extra features in PT9 worth an extra 210 quid to you? if they aren't that's fine. Your PT8 will still work just fine to record music. If they are, great.

For me, I don't care about being on the latest shiny whizz bang system. I'm still running PT7.4 on Mac OS Tiger. It's a really stable system. For me that's what it's all about.

I guess what I'm not getting is the venom towards Avid. It's a business that has put a lot of R&D money into it's product line. It needs to get that money back within a reasonable period. If it doesn't, it wont be a viable business for very long. I'm quite sure that it's pricing is strongly correlated to that.
Old 30th October 2011 , 04:36 PM
Mic Check 1!

Old 31st October 2011 , 01:54 AM

Quote:
so I guess the question for you is are the extra features in PT9 worth an extra 210 quid to you? if they aren't that's fine. Your PT8 will still work just fine to record music. If they are, great.

For me, I don't care about being on the latest shiny whizz bang system. I'm still running PT7.4 on Mac OS Tiger. It's a really stable system. For me that's what it's all about.

I guess what I'm not getting is the venom towards Avid. It's a business that has put a lot of R&D money into it's product line. It needs to get that money back within a reasonable period. If it doesn't, it wont be a viable business for very long. I'm quite sure that it's pricing is strongly correlated to that.

I hear ya re: stability it's why I'm no fan of tacking an upgrade onto the end of any PT distro and prefer a whole new install as it more or less just hooks newer features into older modules which is rarely healthy as far as stability goes.

I am surprised that my post read as venomous though, I'm more disappointed, cue internet meme... I am disappoint!, than anything else to be honest.

As for the vid LOL

------
Old 31st October 2011 , 10:37 AM

Let's have a look shall we.....

Side note.
FRETPICK is offline Offline
Last edited by FRETPICK; 31st October 2011 at 10:40 AM. . <