DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Old 8th January 2011 , 11:27 PM
Tim

Question Pro Tools 9

Has anyone used Pro Tools 9 yet?

I run Pro Tools 7.4 and was very close to getting 8. Then discover there is a 9 but I have heard next to nothing about it yet.

Any experience or thoughts about it?
Tim is offline Offline
Old 8th January 2011 , 11:50 PM
Tim

Oddly, under Hardware Interface Support this implies that Pro Tools 9 does not work with 003 Factory but only the rack:

http://www.avid.com/us/products/fami...-Tools/compare

However, it also says that Pro Tools LE does not work with 003 Factory which is wrong, it does. Or at least I'm using the 003 Factory with Pro Tools LE 7.4

Can anyone explain?
Tim is offline Offline
Old 9th January 2011 , 02:13 PM
Mic Check 1!

Protools factory is no different. It just has a few extra bundled plugins. It will work fine

I'm surprised you haven't read anything about pt9. Everyone is raving about it (I'm still running 7.4 but I've long been a late adopter. There are loads of threads both over at gearslutz and on the duc if you want to read more
Old 9th January 2011 , 02:31 PM
Tim

Thanks Trev, I'll go have a read. From what I've seen so far I like the sound of it.

Like you I am normally a late adopter. In this case I might not be though as I need to update my OS and several other things that might make it necessary to update my Pro Tools aswell.
Tim is offline Offline
Old 9th January 2011 , 02:44 PM
Sound Guru

I'm not thrilled with PT9 here yet. Very crashy. Probably plug-in related, but there are some important ones to my day job (PPMulator+ is one) - that are making it difficult to use in a mission-critical situation.

FWIW I've probably read more positive than negative reports, I feel I am certainly in a minority, but it's been troublesome nonetheless.

I have not tried 9.01 yet - it didn't specifically say it addressed any issues I was experiencing, but you never know what may unintentionally get fixed or unfixed with any given update, in my experience.
Old 9th January 2011 , 07:08 PM
Mic Check 1!

I so don't get this early adopter thing. Not when there are deadlines to be met. I'd love to make thew change just so I can take sessions out of the studio and edit them on my laptop but it just aint worth it until its stable. Ymmv obviously.
Old 9th January 2011 , 07:16 PM
Sound Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
I so don't get this early adopter thing. Not when there are deadlines to be met. I'd love to make thew change just so I can take sessions out of the studio and edit them on my laptop but it just aint worth it until its stable. Ymmv obviously.
Didn't matter for me as I'm happily on Nuendo anyway day to day but I thought I'd give it a crack since I could use the same hardware. Being able to open PT sessions just for conversion to OMF purposes and/or to be able to bounce stems for re-mixing/editing whatever is important, and fundamentally the only feature I REALLY need at the moment. Thankfully, that works as well as ever, which is to say, sometimes. But I'm not using in deadline-critical applications yet.
Old 25th January 2012 , 08:24 PM
Hell-Rider

Been running it for a few months. On my old machine it was a bit glitchy but that is more than likely down to the install i was running which was nearly 2 yrs old and had a lot of plugins running.

Since ive had my new machine ive had absolutely no major issues. There's a few little quirks here and there, such as when a project loads PT appears to hang for about 2-10 seconds when generating the windows and greys out like its going to completely bomb out but within 10 seconds it will come back as long as you leave it well alone. NI stuff can be a little bit funny on the loading of the first plugin but again its just a short hang and once its over all other NI plugs load instantly and without issue.

Runs very well with my MOTU. This is only 9.0 too i havent patched anything.

I would say it appears to be far more demanding on CPU compared to 8. this may well be my old machine but i couldnt allow PT to take control of all 4 cores without noticable glitches every now and then.

Compared to installs of 8 that ive seen friends use its very straight forward and smooth sailing
JAYDMF is offline Offline
Old 26th January 2012 , 12:06 AM
Mic Check 1!

well... I'm still on 7.4 and OS Tiger here. Probably not going to switch until I move to HDX at this point...
Old 26th January 2012 , 05:40 PM
Sound Guru

I've since gone to 10 - Clip Gain, audiosuite handles and the RAM cacheing (since I have the Complete Production Toolkit already) were worth the price alone, let alone the new channelstrip and other bells n' whistles.

Doing a sound edit for a film in it right now, actually, and it's been going extremely well. No crashing, no problems, it's faster than it's ever been and in general just a really good DAW.

(Still using Nuendo for some stuff, though, but in this case my sound edit has to go upstream to a dub/mixing scenario that I won't be involved in so PT it is. I do wonder if they have PT10 though yet on the dub stage!)