DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Old 20th July 2010 , 08:02 PM
Rave Digga

Default mbox 2 problem

ive just updated my mbox 2 and when i start a session the mbox makes a high pitched whistling noise ive changed cables and moved it away from my monitor but its still doing itand the noise only occurs when my session starts as pro tools 8 is loading no noise its fine but the moment i create a session the noise starts any ideas how to fix it?i didnt used to have this problem before ..
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 20th July 2010 , 08:05 PM
Rave Digga

http://www3.digidesign.com/index.cfm...34&nStartAt=11

ive just found this ill give it a try and post back..
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 20th July 2010 , 08:58 PM
Rave Digga

tried the cable fix it didnt work ive changed my usb cable 3 times and changed ports still getting the noise..when i have checked other sites loads have complained about it apparentlly its a very common fault and its a ground issue if you move the usb cable the noise gets louder and louder so ive put the cable under my mixer and the noise is still there but not as loud..the lst time i used my mbox was a few months ago and the only thing thats changed since is i now have krk monitors and ive just had a new 50mb broadband modem fitted but im notgettingthis whistle with ny other equpiment or nterfaces its just the mbox i think there poorly shielded..

anyone else have this fault and did they cure it?id get monster usb cables but i cant find the ultimate one the avid guys recommend in fact monster only make one mini usb cable and another called digital life is this the same cable avid speak off?http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=4704
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 20th July 2010 , 10:45 PM
Forum Poet

I'll have a search.

Is this the type here
Old 20th July 2010 , 11:06 PM
Forum Poet

I was just reading this thread - check the date.

Familiar Noise
Old 21st July 2010 , 03:58 AM
Rave Digga

yep thats the noise..i found that forum page too and been reading it it seems balanced cables helped some,usb helped others,ground loop daptor helped others.etc every soloution only helped some..

late last night i started to get talking coming out of my monitors and would go of the minute i unplugged the usb cable theres deffinatlly a ground issue somewere i unpluged my modem and wirelless router stil the issue was there if anything it was worse..

i dont wanna go spending money on things tht arnt gaurantteed too work
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 21st July 2010 , 09:52 AM
Mic Check 1!

Did you say the only thing that changed in your setup is your monitors? Have you unplugged them and gone back to the old ones to make sure they aren't the problem? If you haven't got the old monitors any more switch off and unplug the new ones and listen with headphones. Still there?
Old 21st July 2010 , 12:12 PM
Rave Digga

yeah ive changed my monitors and i had 50mb broadband wifi fitted first thing i did was turn of and unplug the internet because i thought it may have been that but it wasnt ..then i changed speaker cables and it was still there .i changed the usb cables to better ones still there but not as bad and if i moved the cable around it got worse in fact it started to pic up voices from somewere and when i checked my wifi it said someone called ben ws online wirelessly in range i dont know anyone called ben so im thinking it could have been one of the neighbours...

ive just got home and saw avid are saying use balanced cables too hook up the box to my monitors which seems strange too me as the outputs are unbalanced but its worth a try all i need do is order some i did have loads but i sold some cables ages ago and i thought id sold the unbalanced ones but i didnt ive sent the wrong bag in the post i sent them the balanced set lol..

ive also put my monitors on there own power extension cable before they were on a 4 group plug and ill try the headphones trev anything is worth a shot at this point because i know the problem is a ground issue the hard bit is determing were its coming from and how to stop it its doing my head in though because im not getting this problem if i use cubase or anything else its only happening with my mbox2.
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 21st July 2010 , 12:38 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

I had to use an MBox 2 Mini once when my Tascam DM3200 was in for repair (I only have the MBox as a dongle for PT which I only use to transfer PT projects into Cubase) and I was plagued by the damned whine noise aswell... and I certainly don't use cheap cables!

I just had to put up with it until my mixer came back from repair.
Old 21st July 2010 , 02:02 PM
Rave Digga

been reading the avid/pro tools users/gear slutz forums and loads are complaining about the samething the noise..most justtry and ignore it and get on with doing there sessions but i have ocd so if i know something hasa fault it drives me crazy until i fix it ..i only had 3 hours sleep last night because it was doing my head in knowing its a simple thing thats causing the problem but unable to find which thing is causing the problem..

ive never had a fault like this with any usb item ive ever had ive had it years ago with a dodgy cable in my rack and that was easy to whittle down to which item was giving me headaches but this is different its as if the whole mbox becaomes a antenna once the usb cable is plugged it you can hear the interferance straight away the moment the pt session starts its there in the background as you play music it hides it a bit but once you hear it your always looking for it..and id like to avoid buying extra things to try and fix the problem when theres no guarantee new cables will fix it and i know you dave and you love your cables and you wouldnt use cheap ones so if youve added good quality balanced cables and you still got the whine noise then buying balanced cables would be a waste of time my only hope would be extra sheilding on the usb cable or port on the mbox has anyone any ideas what to use to sheild it?
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 21st July 2010 , 09:00 PM

Well Luckily this hasnt happend to me and i hope it wont! :|
Old 22nd July 2010 , 01:04 AM

Default help me

so i have a problem with my pro tools 7.4 every time i hit the record button to record my guitar a static sound starts and wont go away until i stop the recording then on the play back it still there how do i get the static to stop so i can make a good sounding recording? o yeah and i use a m-audio fast track pro if that will help
christianbrew is offline Offline
Old 22nd July 2010 , 01:17 AM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Christian, you really should start a new thread with your question rather than "hijacking" an existing thread.
Old 22nd July 2010 , 05:29 AM
Mic Check 1!

Let's think about this.it wasn't doing this before you changed your setup. You've isolated everything but the monitors (cables, modem/router etc), it's still doing it. At the moment the evidence suggests it's the monitors not the mbox. (it's interesting/relevant that different users report different fixes.) You need to try it without those monitors before you can conclude it's the mbox. As I said before, either switch off the new ones and listen with the old ones or switch off the new ones and try again with headphones then report back to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxxy View Post
been reading the avid/pro tools users/gear slutz forums and loads are complaining about the samething the noise..most justtry and ignore it and get on with doing there sessions but i have ocd so if i know something hasa fault it drives me crazy until i fix it ..i only had 3 hours sleep last night because it was doing my head in knowing its a simple thing thats causing the problem but unable to find which thing is causing the problem..

ive never had a fault like this with any usb item ive ever had ive had it years ago with a dodgy cable in my rack and that was easy to whittle down to which item was giving me headaches but this is different its as if the whole mbox becaomes a antenna once the usb cable is plugged it you can hear the interferance straight away the moment the pt session starts its there in the background as you play music it hides it a bit but once you hear it your always looking for it..and id like to avoid buying extra things to try and fix the problem when theres no guarantee new cables will fix it and i know you dave and you love your cables and you wouldnt use cheap ones so if youve added good quality balanced cables and you still got the whine noise then buying balanced cables would be a waste of time my only hope would be extra sheilding on the usb cable or port on the mbox has anyone any ideas what to use to sheild it?