DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Old 23rd February 2010 , 10:07 AM

Default Clicking static sound when recording

Hello everyone

I'm new here and pretty new to Pro Tools as well.

I have the basic programme that came with my digital interface unit (ESI U24 XL 2 In 4 Out Portable USB Audio Interface).

Progress has been good so far and I've been really enjoying the whole learning experience. However I've hit what I think should only be a slight problem though thus far I've not been able to find a solution on line or by chatting to friends.

The problem is this: I often plug my Shure 58 mic directly into the interface unit and either point it at me or my acoustic guitars and it records happily away. However, when I went to point it at my guitar amp and press 'record' what I can only describe as a static electricity clicking sound immediately begins and only stops when I turn off 'record'. From what I can tell there is no clicking outside of record mode.

It doesn't seem to matter if I use a 6 or 12 string electro acoustic or full electric, the track will have the clicks all through it. If I plug any of the guitars directly through the interface unit there isn't a problem. The amp seems to be the issue.

Any ideas what it is and more importantly how I can stop the bloomin' thing?

Thanks for reading

FP
Fierce Panda is offline Offline
Old 23rd February 2010 , 05:56 PM
Mic Check 1!

Is it only if it's near the guitar? (it isn't something daft like you having a phone in your pocket is it?) what happens if you record the guitar without using the amp or you sing in to the microphone... Does it still click? If yes is there a phone, radio, tv, computer monitor close to it? If so it sounds like a shielding issue. Try getting a balanced XLR cable for the mic. If your interface allows balanced cables to your monitor then change them too(either for xlr or trs cables as appropriate). All make sense?
Old 23rd February 2010 , 06:15 PM
Sound Guru

Ummm... just to clarify something.. how are you running Pro Tools with an interface made by ESI? It would not have been included, that's for sure.

Edit: I just looked it up, it includes Cubase LE, not Pro Tools... may wanna post here to get some help from those in the know.
Old 23rd February 2010 , 07:34 PM
Mic Check 1!

Aha. Though my earlier response isn't pt specific
Old 23rd February 2010 , 07:37 PM
Sound Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
Aha. Though my earlier response isn't pt specific
Most definitely - the basic troubleshooting is wise. But it might be something fiddly in the software too... possibly a clocking thing or some random checkbox that reads "click incessantly during record only" that needs to be unchecked. Y'know, Cubase stuff.
Old 23rd February 2010 , 07:40 PM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
... possibly... some random checkbox that reads "click incessantly during record only" that needs to be unchecked. Y'know, Cubase stuff.
cool. Those cubase techs think of everything...!
Old 24th February 2010 , 03:18 PM

Default Hello all - thanks for the replies...

...what I can tell you is that:

1. I didn't have a phone in my pocket (which would be a different noise anyway)

2. The amp is a valve Fender Champ 12 jobby

3. My interface unit is this: [url]http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/m-audio-fast-track--68396[/url]

4. My laptop is one of these (running on Windows 7): [url]http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/home/Laptops/laptop-inspiron-17/pd.aspx?refid=laptop-inspiron-17&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1[/url]

5. My version of Pro Tools is this (it comes with the above - a big factor in buying it): [url]http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=54&itemid=39891[/url]

6. My mic is one of these (without a foam 'hat'): [url]http://www.locationcreations.co.uk/Images/sm58.jpg[/url]

Like I said there's no noise until I press 'record' then the relevant track starts popping and clicking and stops when I come out of record mode. The noise is a little similar to rough grains of sand being poured intermittently down a hollow tube . Or something.

Thanks again
Old 24th February 2010 , 08:51 PM
Mic Check 1!

See my post above. Are all your cables balanced (or if unbalanced very short)?
Old 25th February 2010 , 09:12 AM

Default Balanced cables?

[QUOTE=TrevCircleStudios;45080]See my post above. Are all your cables balanced (or if unbalanced very short)?[/QUOTE]

Not sure what they are off the top of my head but I'll now look into it. The mic lead is an XLR and no, it only happens when I point the mic at the amp - at all other times I can record with zero interference.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old 25th February 2010 , 11:55 AM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Have you tried the same with someone else's amp? Get a mate to bring one round and give it a try, at least it'll let you know if your amp is the culprit or not.