DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Old 17th February 2010 , 06:54 PM
Rave Digga

Default pro tools reinstallation question

my computer had a major crash and ive had to buy a new hard drive and reinstall everything from scratch ive had no problems reinstalling cubase 5 and my plug ins but i dont know what to do with my pro tools le8 .

i was one of the lucky ones that got it free when i bought protools le7.4 with my mbox2 but theres no dongles like cubase it all works with install codes luckly i made pdfs of them and saved them on a seperate hard drive but im asking do i install 7.4 first then le8 or will i be ok to install le8 and just use the codes on that?any help would be appreciated thanks
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 17th February 2010 , 07:11 PM
Sound Guru

Just do 8, it should be fine.
Old 17th February 2010 , 07:53 PM
Rave Digga

my computers gone loco again i wish id seen your reply first mate..i installed 7.4 and thought id authorise it but it wouldnt even start so i clicked on the add remove and uninstalled it but it wont unistall a black box appears and just hangs there in the top left of the screen it wont uninstall and ptle8 wont install until i can get 7.4 of my system..
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 17th February 2010 , 08:36 PM
Rave Digga

ok quick update ..........

ive managed to install ptle8 now but when its loading it hangs once it gets to structure plug in it wont load beyond that..any help?
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 17th February 2010 , 08:45 PM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxxy View Post
ok quick update ..........

ive managed to install ptle8 now but when its loading it hangs once it gets to structure plug in it wont load beyond that..any help?
There's a fab little bit of software you can get to leave particular plugins out when the session is loaded. CAnt remember what it's called. I read about it in SOS about a year ago. Only a short term fix but it'd get you going (and I think it was free)
Old 17th February 2010 , 08:52 PM
Rave Digga

ive found my ptle8 plug in folder ive dragged the struture dpm out of the folder and dragged it too my desktop i restarted ptle8 and it asked me for the authorisation code of my online avid account i got that inputted it and its booting up ok but now ive got no sound lol..man this is doing my head in ive had a shitty day already..some nobhead hit my car while i was in b and q buying some stain block to cover up the flood damage i had a few weeks ago when a radiator burst..so i came out of b and q and seen big big scratchs down the side of my car and a dint in the top of my drivers side wing man i went ballistic in that car park if id seen the person responsible id have been in jail for murder its been a crappy couple of weeks ..moan moan moan lol
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 17th February 2010 , 10:05 PM
Mic Check 1!

Lots of things to check:

1. Are you main outs in your i/o settings bussed to the right place?

2. Is your cabling set up ok?

3. Have you ensured that your internal soundcard isnt overriding your digi hardware?

If all that is ok, trash the prefs, turn it off and on again and see if that's working.

btw, are you on mac or pc?
Last edited by TrevCircleStudios; 17th February 2010 at 10:08 PM. . <
Old 18th February 2010 , 08:57 AM
Rave Digga

hi trev i trashed my prefs and it was still no joy so i uninstalled ,reinstalled 5 times !!! then it finally started to work

thats been the biggest headache yet ..im on pc mate thanks
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 18th February 2010 , 07:35 PM
Mic Check 1!

cool. glad it's working for ya. Am still on 7.4 here. Let me know how 8 works out for ya
Old 18th February 2010 , 10:56 PM
Rave Digga

wow if your on 7.4 update mate le8 is a much much better looking/sounding daw.its worth updating just for the brilliant extra free plug ins you get vacums one of my favourite synths its much better than hybrid.
to be honest my main daw i know best is cubase ive been using that ever since i had it on my atari 1040 so i work very fast in that and im still trying to get my head around using pro tools.i bought it mainly because its industry standard and i got a great deal at dv247 (i got pro tools 7.4 +free upgrade to le8,m-audio av40 monitors,m-box 2,nova mic,structure sampler,i lok dongle,and lots of cables i got all that for 240 pounds !!) it was an amazing deal so id be stupid not to have got it but ive not used it much because i still hammer cubase 5 all the time but since my computer messed up and i lost everything ive decided to try and work 50/50 with both daws.
ive wired up my patch bay now so ive got 16 inputs going into my yamaha pro mix 1 mixer and 16 going into my behringer 24 desk and all my external effects /synths going to seperate channels into my patchbay so now i have everthing wired up to both daws .before i had everything going into cubase and a few things patched to pro tools thats one of the reasons i also didnt use it much because i was to lazy to unwire things and rewire them up each time lol.

pro tools still scares me though as ive got used to the shortcuts in cubase but ive also just bought a pro tools keyboard for my computer so that has everthing mapped out so hopefully thatll help me out .

but if youve not updated trev do it because even though ive not used it a great deal i can tell it is an brilliant daw and the upgrade costs are much cheaper than other daws contact dv247 im sure theyll sort you a great upgrade deal out
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 19th February 2010 , 01:44 PM
Mic Check 1!

Thanks man. I already have a PT8 licence so there's no upgrade cost for me. I don't really use soft instruments so that isn't an issue for me either. The only reason to move for me is to stay current as once you get too far behind it's difficult to catch up. One of the things that's stopping me moving is I'm still on OS Tiger and I'd need to swith to the latest OSX so that'd be a big upgrade and therefore more potential for my whole rig to go wrong and me to end up with downtime and unable to run sessions I have booked (and therefore losing money). I suspect I'll wait until September time when the control room build starts as I'll have enforced downtime then in any case. To be frank my main concern is that I don't want to move until it's completely stable.
Old 19th February 2010 , 01:48 PM
Sound Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
Thanks man. I already have a PT8 licence so there's no upgrade cost for me. I don't really use soft instruments so that isn't an issue for me either. The only reason to move for me is to stay current as once you get too far behind it's difficult to catch up. One of the things that's stopping me moving is I'm still on OS Tiger and I'd need to swith to the latest OSX so that'd be a big upgrade and therefore more potential for my whole rig to go wrong and me to end up with downtime and unable to run sessions I have booked (and therefore losing money). I suspect I'll wait until September time when the control room build starts as I'll have enforced downtime then in any case. To be frank my main concern is that I don't want to move until it's completely stable.
I wouldn't go to Snow Leopard yet (I have, but it's not perfect, and unlike you I only very occasionally have clients sitting in with me on work so I can fight it a bit.) If you have a Leopard installer disc though I would say that's safe at the moment if you feel like it. A much better OS than 10.4 overall too. 10.6 has yet to really show any genuine improvement, at least on my end, but I guess the software will all catch up eventually and by then you'll be ready to upgrade (again).

Bear in mind that if you ever have to buy a new machine it's going to be a right PITA to get it back to your current system, which is another reason to give in eventually to an upgrade. Most firmware on current Mac models won't allow a previous-version downgrade at all - so let's say your logic board blows up on your Mac Pro, you'd either have to buy used or give in to the fact that your replacement (new) machine would HAVE to run 10.6...
Old 19th February 2010 , 01:51 PM
Mic Check 1!

Thanks T3. That's what I feared. Tell you what... if you pop up and upgrade it for me lunch is on me