DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 22nd January 2009 , 02:05 PM
Super Member
 
Maccy's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Watford/Portsmouth Uni
Posts: 410
Default iLok query - confused!

I bought Pro Tools 7.4 from a guy off ebay last November and the iLok is registered in his name. Not a problem, just plugged it in, installed and it worked.
However I've just purchased an upgrade to Pro Tools 8 and can't download the license to the iLok as it's not registered in my name.
Contacted the support people at iLok who gave me a few confusing options but I thought if I was to buy a brand new iLok and register that in my name, could I then download the Pro Tools 8 license to that iLok and all would work fine?
Maccy is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 22nd January 2009 , 02:10 PM
Forum Idol
 
sureno's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: west london depot
Posts: 7,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccy View Post
I bought Pro Tools 7.4 from a guy off ebay last November and the iLok is registered in his name. Not a problem, just plugged it in, installed and it worked.
However I've just purchased an upgrade to Pro Tools 8 and can't download the license to the iLok as it's not registered in my name.
Contacted the support people at iLok who gave me a few confusing options but I thought if I was to buy a brand new iLok and register that in my name, could I then download the Pro Tools 8 license to that iLok and all would work fine?
you have more than one problem here mate...

1.do you have the password to his account?

2.Digi are being very shifty with the licenses i believe you are after, can you say which license exactly you are having issues with?
______________________________
Im a Mac and Windows 7 was not my idea
WWW.SURENO.CO.UK
www.myspace.com/djsureno
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 22nd January 2009 , 02:23 PM
Super Member
 
Maccy's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Watford/Portsmouth Uni
Posts: 410
Default

Nope I've tried emailing him but not getting any response.

I can use 7.4 with the second-hand iLok I currently have, but can't use 8.0 because it needs to sync with an iLok before I use it. Therefore I'm asking if I can buy a new iLok from DV and then sync the Pro Tools 8 license to that?
Maccy is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 22nd January 2009 , 02:32 PM
Forum Idol
 
sureno's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: west london depot
Posts: 7,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccy View Post
Nope I've tried emailing him but not getting any response.

I can use 7.4 with the second-hand iLok I currently have, but can't use 8.0 because it needs to sync with an iLok before I use it. Therefore I'm asking if I can buy a new iLok from DV and then sync the Pro Tools 8 license to that?
not without knowing his password or getting him to go into his account and transfer it, unfortunately you may be stuck with these

on the topic of PT8 you should be able to run PT8 with out an ilok, the ilok is for the bundled plug ins,

list what plug ins you have issues with and il let you know what to do, iv just come off the phone to DD and had some sh!tty news.
for those of us with the factory bundle v.7 will NOT be allowed to upgrade to v.8 with the new plug ins for free. there is currently no paid route either which is rubbish imo but hey!
______________________________
Im a Mac and Windows 7 was not my idea
WWW.SURENO.CO.UK
www.myspace.com/djsureno
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 22nd January 2009 , 02:38 PM
Super Member
 
Maccy's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Watford/Portsmouth Uni
Posts: 410
Default

It's just asked me for an iLok when I fired up Pro Tools 8
Maccy is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 22nd January 2009 , 02:40 PM
Sound Guru
 
whitecat's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Surrey / London
Posts: 2,740
Default

Pro Tools M-Powered requires an iLok, sureno, so if that's what he's talking about, that would be it.

You really need to get the original iLok owner to transfer this to you properly, unfortunately. I'm not sure there's any other way around it, because Digidesign will also need the iLok id of the registered v7 owner to get the upgrade.

The reason the system works like this is of course to prevent lost/stolen iLoks from being easily used/transferred.
whitecat is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 22nd January 2009 , 02:43 PM
Super Member
 
Maccy's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Watford/Portsmouth Uni
Posts: 410
Default

So ideally, I need to purchase a new iLok and get the previous owner to transfer me the old license to my account.

OR

Let me have his old details and then I transfer the Pro Tools 8 license over to his account which would then be mine.
Maccy is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 22nd January 2009 , 02:45 PM
Forum Idol
 
sureno's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: west london depot
Posts: 7,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
Pro Tools M-Powered requires an iLok, sureno, so if that's what he's talking about, that would be it.

You really need to get the original iLok owner to transfer this to you properly, unfortunately. I'm not sure there's any other way around it, because Digidesign will also need the iLok id of the registered v7 owner to get the upgrade.

The reason the system works like this is of course to prevent lost/stolen iLoks from being easily used/transferred.
sorry i assumed it would be le, my bad... this is why to me you are "The T3rminator"
______________________________
Im a Mac and Windows 7 was not my idea
WWW.SURENO.CO.UK
www.myspace.com/djsureno
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 22nd January 2009 , 02:46 PM
Sound Guru
 
whitecat's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Surrey / London
Posts: 2,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccy View Post
So ideally, I need to purchase a new iLok and get the previous owner to transfer me the old license to my account.

OR

Let me have his old details and then I transfer the Pro Tools 8 license over to his account which would then be mine.
The way I see it, the cheapest/easiest way to do it is thus [if it's possible to get his info]:

1) Get his iLok.com login details (username/password)
2) Buy a new, blank iLok.
3) Register the new iLok to HIS account, while logged in as him.
4) Transfer the license from the old iLok to the new one.
5) De-register the new iLok (now with the license on it) - you are allowed 7 days to do this I think, after that it's registered to that account forever so you need to do all of this in one go
6) Register the iLok you just de-registered to an account that YOU have created for yourself.

Any other method is going to involve sending the old iLok back to him to do a license transfer which will cost $25 plus you'll need to buy a new iLok anyway either way...
whitecat is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 22nd January 2009 , 02:48 PM
Forum Idol
 
sureno's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: west london depot
Posts: 7,873
Default

some how i dont think you will be hearing from him
______________________________
Im a Mac and Windows 7 was not my idea
WWW.SURENO.CO.UK
www.myspace.com/djsureno
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 22nd January 2009 , 02:54 PM
Super Member
 
Maccy's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Watford/Portsmouth Uni
Posts: 410
Default

I've got his email address, found a hotmail one and also found him on Facebook.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, really appreciate this.
Maccy is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 22nd January 2009 , 02:59 PM
Forum Idol
 
sureno's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: west london depot
Posts: 7,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccy View Post
I've got his email address, found a hotmail one and also found him on Facebook.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, really appreciate this.
good to hear man.
good luck with it i hope it is all just a genuine mix up
______________________________
Im a Mac and Windows 7 was not my idea
WWW.SURENO.CO.UK
www.myspace.com/djsureno
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 22nd January 2009 , 03:02 PM
Super Member
 
Maccy's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Watford/Portsmouth Uni
Posts: 410
Default

So do I, otherwise it looks like I've just bought this for no reason

And just to clear up - I am using M-Powered!
Maccy is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 22nd January 2009 , 06:23 PM
Super Member
 
Maccy's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Watford/Portsmouth Uni
Posts: 410
Default

Just been looking over the emails from iLok and they said this in one of them:

Quote:
If your new Pro Tools license does not call for the surrender of a license
that is on that iLok, you could download it to a new iLok.
Does the Pro Tools 8 license need to be linked with the 7.4 license in order to work, or could it be on a separate iLok?
Maccy is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 22nd January 2009 , 06:25 PM
Forum Idol
 
sureno's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: west london depot
Posts: 7,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccy View Post
Just been looking over the emails from iLok and they said this in one of them:



Does the Pro Tools 8 license need to be linked with the 7.4 license in order to work, or could it be on a separate iLok?
really not familiar with M-powered
______________________________
Im a Mac and Windows 7 was not my idea
WWW.SURENO.CO.UK
www.myspace.com/djsureno
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
E-MU 1212M - I'm confused saxman Computer Hardware 13 20th December 2009 08:00 AM
MAc OSX Leopard/Logic 8 query modz1 Logic 9 26th October 2008 09:53 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.0
1999-2017 DV247 Ltd. All rights reserved.