DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Pro Audio
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Pro Audio Mixers, mics, outboard, monitors, headphones

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st August 2008 , 12:48 AM
Rave Digga

Default M-Audio BX5A Bi-Amplified Studio Reference Monitors

hi im gutted i cant afford the bx8as onoffer at dv247 but ive been offered some bx5as instead for 90 pounds brand new..ive not had chance to try them ..has anyone used them or heard them and are they ok ..i just need some monitors to mix on ..and moneys mega tight at the minute
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 22nd August 2008 , 09:07 AM
Uber Member

I couldn't afford the BX8a's either, but I bought them anyway hehe. Still not had the chance to take them out the box though. I was going to get the 5a's but was lured by bigger cones. Not necessarily the best option but certainly the most satisfying...until the barclaycard bill comes in at any rate.
Old 23rd August 2008 , 11:06 AM
Rave Digga

its hard explaining to the wife why i needed new speakers..women dont understand lol..so i had to come to a compromize i was oriiginally gonna get the 8s but the price i got offered on the 5s was to good an offer not too buy them ..even though the wife was pissed off because she wanted new blinds for the upstairs window.but ill get her them in a few weeks time.

they 5s are used by bt and sasha they swear by them and bts one of my favourite producers so i thougt if there good enough for him theyll be ok for me until i get some money together and buy some bigger ones next year..im hoping to get the genelecs 8020As next year ..ive just gotta pay a few things off and there paid for next july so then ill have 300 pounds spare each month then so i think ill get them then and sell the 5s .
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 27th August 2008 , 11:58 AM
Son of 'Z'

You should find them to be ok.

I had a similar dilemma when buying my Tannoy's. I wanted the 8, but had to setlte with the 6. I checked both out, and the only real diff was the 8s went a bit lower at the bottom.

In many ways mixing with smaller monitors can be beneficial. If you can get it sounding right, then you know it should translate well onto bigger systems.
EdRyan is offline Offline
Old 27th August 2008 , 08:32 PM
Rave Digga

well i got them today and just plugged them in .i was amazed just how loud these are lol..i think ive made my baby deaf we weere both plugging them in then i set the volumes on the back to half way then put on a song id just done too check it for reference and nearly blew the baby into the next room.there was a loud boom when the first kik drum came in then the baby was like daley thompson he jumped up and ran as fast as he could into the bedroom then dove under the pillows lol..he finally came out after a few mins laughing his head off

im impressed with how clean and noise free they are too when i turned them on there was no background hiss like you get with some monitors.very very silent and heavy too i was gonna get the bx8as but in a way im glad i didnt because i dont think my studio table could handle the weight off them id be scared theyd come crashing down in the night and break my mixer the bx8as are much heavier than the bx5as and the 5as are pretty beefy.

i do think i may need a subwoofer in the future but at the minute the bass is more than adiquate too mix with a record with so if you see a pair of these going cheap (which you probably will do because the new bx5as are out now but theres no real difference in performance) then get them there well worth the money and much better sounding than other sub 150 pounds monitors..
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 28th August 2008 , 11:55 AM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxxy View Post
well i got them today and just plugged them in .i was amazed just how loud these are lol..i think ive made my baby deaf we weere both plugging them in then i set the volumes on the back to half way then put on a song id just done too check it for reference and nearly blew the baby into the next room.there was a loud boom when the first kik drum came in then the baby was like daley thompson he jumped up and ran as fast as he could into the bedroom then dove under the pillows lol..he finally came out after a few mins laughing his head off

im impressed with how clean and noise free they are too when i turned them on there was no background hiss like you get with some monitors.very very silent and heavy too i was gonna get the bx8as but in a way im glad i didnt because i dont think my studio table could handle the weight off them id be scared theyd come crashing down in the night and break my mixer the bx8as are much heavier than the bx5as and the 5as are pretty beefy.

i do think i may need a subwoofer in the future but at the minute the bass is more than adiquate too mix with a record with so if you see a pair of these going cheap (which you probably will do because the new bx5as are out now but theres no real difference in performance) then get them there well worth the money and much better sounding than other sub 150 pounds monitors..
Schnice always good to hear someone satisfied with their new monitors. Must be heaven for you atm waxxy. Now lets here some banging tunes
JAYDMF is offline Offline
Old 28th August 2008 , 12:14 PM
Rave Digga

im still trying to finish my public enemy remix lol..how many days we got left?
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 28th August 2008 , 12:39 PM
Costa Del Cool

I missed this contest...but looking at the website, I'm sorry to tell you waxxy that they have already announced the winners!

Jamglue - Public Enemy Remix Contest

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!
sphelan is offline Offline
Old 28th August 2008 , 12:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelan View Post
I missed this contest...but looking at the website, I'm sorry to tell you waxxy that they have already announced the winners!

Jamglue - Public Enemy Remix Contest

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!
The above link isn't the M-Audio competition but a similar one run by 'JamGlue' on a different track altogether.. The M-Audio competition still appears to be active..
Old 28th August 2008 , 02:57 PM
Rave Digga

thank god for that i thought id missed it..thanks modz now i just need a full day too try and get it as good as i can ..
waxxy is offline Offline