DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Pro Audio
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Pro Audio Mixers, mics, outboard, monitors, headphones

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th January 2010 , 10:37 PM
Mic Check 1!

Here's a cool article on the matter:

http://tri-sysdesigns.com/Pages/Arti...ringAudio.html
Old 26th May 2010 , 05:46 AM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankGIK View Post
You're looking for RMS (average) levels around -18dBFS...that's -18 in the digital meters in Cubase. Of course, RMS levels will be higher for non-dynamic material like a hard-charging electric guitar rhythm line...that's going to eat up a lot more head room on the mix buss than a snare track that peaks at -6dB, which will have much lower RMS levels.

Frank
Oh Crap. I've been recording recently and been referring to the meters in the mixer mostly when tracking. I'll need to check that later on.
Piano is offline Offline
Old 26th May 2010 , 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piano View Post
Oh Crap. I've been recording recently and been referring to the meters in the mixer mostly when tracking. I'll need to check that later on.
What were you shooting for as far as levels on the console?

Frank
www.gikacoustics.com
(+44) 020 7558 8976 (UK)
FrankGIK is offline Offline
Old 27th May 2010 , 06:34 AM

There is a sticky related to this but I am not overfond of stickies because, like FAQ's, Nobody FRThem!....Then I often read/think of an alternative way of explaining something, so...

Even the most noob of noobs will have seen a small mixer. The typical spec' for the output of such might be "+4dBu at 0VU" the maximum output for a Bellringer grade might be +20dBu (~7Vrms) a better device +23dBu and a topflight jobbie (as owned perhaps by the jsty&u Trev!) +26dBu about 15V rms!

Now, you would not DREAM of operating a mixer anywhere near those maxima! So don't do it in software! 0dBFS is all she wrote it is roughly equivalent to the top of the headroom of a mixer and therefore you need to be 20dB or so below it.

Case in point, (avert your eyes Trev') I dug out and hooked up a Berry UCA202 AI to do some test for a guy on another forum. 16bit only and when NEG twenty! Was alight on the mixer the guitar signal was close to -6dBFS, you can never push one hotter than that and in fact you must regard -20vu as top end and have it lit only on peaks. Of course better 16 bit converters will be better than that but not a lot! 24bits rule!

Dave.
ecc83 is offline Offline
Old 30th May 2010 , 08:51 AM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankGIK View Post
What were you shooting for as far as levels on the console?

Frank
After checking, when i'm peaking at about -10 on the console, it's more like -4 in cubase.

I'm really having some issues with recording levels and trying to get a clear idea in my mind where i should be at. I've recorded some of a song, and when i listen to it all back together, the master fader peaks at around -2. I don't think this is good, so i'm going to record again from scratch and try and keep everything down to about -18 (in cubase) when recording and see how things go. As i've said in ther posts, this means i have to turn my monitoring to a level which i would consider to be pretty high to hear playback at a decent level but i've been assured this is not an issue. I'll get there, i'm still learning. I was hoping Dave might have been on, he's usually pretty good at explaining things clearly or at least clear enough for [I]me[/I to understand anyway lol
Piano is offline Offline
Old 30th May 2010 , 05:58 PM

Hey Joe!
I am post #19 one behind you! Or am I the wrong Dave?

I am not sure but I don't think Cubase has a tone generator in it? Audacity certainly does and this means you can generate some 1kHz tones at precise levels then play them in Cubase and see where you be.

Be back later.
Dave (the valve tronics tekky one, not too hot with pc's)
ecc83 is offline Offline
Old 28th January 2012 , 05:48 AM

Check the audio level control meter. When the audio peaks, it should only be lighting up the green lights or at most the first of the orange lights on the level meter (which is between 12db and 6db). If peak audio is lighting up several orange lights, the volume is too high and could be distorted. It definitely should not peak to 0db, which will cause the red OVER light to light up.
CraigCyril is offline Offline
Old 7th March 2012 , 06:38 AM

An important aspect of the technical side of getting a good recording is to properly set the volume level of the recording input. This is the level at which your recording device is receiving your voice while you read. You need to adjust the recording sound level for the microphone, to make sure it's high enough to get a good recording, but not so high that the audio becomes distorted when it peaks.
CraigCyril is offline Offline