DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Pro Audio
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Pro Audio Mixers, mics, outboard, monitors, headphones

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th February 2011 , 11:01 PM

Smile A good quality mic for recording bass guitar?

Hi all

Can someone give me some recommendations for a mic to record bass guitar. At the moment I mic up my Laney Bass Combo with an SM58. However, if it is at all possible to get an even nicer recording then what do you think I should use?

My budget is around £200.

I havent got a lot of space so the way I have things set up at the mo is that my amp sits just behind the base unit of my computer. With the SM58 being a directional mic it doesn't pick up any computer noise. I mention this because would any of your recommendations be tube mics? I'm worried about them picking up the sound of my base unit.

Also would I just use my regular boom stand for the mic? Would I need a cradle for instance?

I've had a look at the sticky on Mics but couldnt find anything specific to help me.

I do a mixture of genres but am getting back into some reggae and have a graphic and a compression switch on my amp.

Many thx in advance for your help

-Europica
Europica is offline Offline
Old 10th February 2011 , 06:58 AM
Mic Check 1!

At that budget realistically there aren't a lot of options. Given the genre I assume you are looking for a big phat round bass sound in which case I'd probably suggest an akg d112. I suspect you'll be limited by an interface preamp? If so whatever you have left over (maybe buy a used d112) put in your piggybank and start saving cfor a decent preamp. The fmr rnp is best bang for buck.
Old 10th February 2011 , 08:05 AM

Hey mate Iíve just found your thread this morning and I hope what I have to offer helps.

There are a couple of ways to treat this problem. If you want to record the sound of a bass amp what you need is a mic that has a good low-end response. This could be any variety of mics on the market, again, as often quoted on many forums itís down to taste and budget. It might seem counter intuitive but some of the best results Iíve heard were from bass/kick drum mics. Fortunately DV carries a selection of these for example the Shure Beta 52 would be ideal for the job. A heads up on mic placement though, about 6 to 12 inches from the best speaker, closer to the center for more high-end, and farther away to the side for more lows. You can experiment with the placement to suit your taste also a cradle is not necessary although it does depend on your mic selection.

Second and probably the simplest way would be to DI the bass and using a limiter, to help with loosing power in the lows, in the chain between the DI box and the desk. Again there are a number of these on the market some of the best sounding DIís Iíve heard were relatively cheap active DI boxes with an input impedance of at least 500k(omega) and preferably higher than 1M(omega).

And finally given the above, the no brainer and how I personally record bass, combine them both. I wont go into too much detail here why but lets just say the natural roll off from the amp/speaker cab and the lack of power from DIís is covered by recording both methods at the same time (just place the DI before the amp in the chain) on two separate tracks and blending. Iím sure others will be along directly to offer other tips.

Hope this helps.

------
weaver is offline Offline
Old 15th February 2011 , 11:43 AM

Trev, Weaver

many thx for your help. You've given me something to think about.

I do have a question tho, about preamps. Sorry if a sound like a noob but I've never used a preamp.

At the mo I have my Laney bass amp which is mic'ed up into my M-Audio Firewire 1814 soundcard breakout box. Now my question is where in this chain does the preamp fit in? Like I said, I've never used one so I simply dont know.

many thx
Old 15th February 2011 , 12:13 PM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europica View Post
Trev, Weaver

many thx for your help. You've given me something to think about.

I do have a question tho, about preamps. Sorry if a sound like a noob but I've never used a preamp.

At the mo I have my Laney bass amp which is mic'ed up into my M-Audio Firewire 1814 soundcard breakout box. Now my question is where in this chain does the preamp fit in? Like I said, I've never used one so I simply dont know.

many thx
The mic goes into the preamp. Your 1814 has two basic preamps onboard already (so you have been using preamps... you just didnt know it!). If you wanted to get a better quality preamp you woud go out of the preamp and into a line-in on the 1814. Make sense?
Old 15th February 2011 , 12:30 PM

I gotchya Trev thx
Old 15th February 2011 , 12:45 PM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post

And finally given the above, the no brainer and how I personally record bass, combine them both. I wont go into too much detail here why but lets just say the natural roll off from the amp/speaker cab and the lack of power from DIís is covered by recording both methods at the same time (just place the DI before the amp in the chain) on two separate tracks and blending. Iím sure others will be along directly to offer other tips.

------
Just spotted this. I agree entirely and do it all the time but the one thing to watch out for doing this is phase coherence. I use a little labs IBP to wind it back into line. if you don't use something similar you are likely to end up with a thinner sounding signal.
Old 13th March 2011 , 10:00 PM

Wink mike positioning makes all the difference!

Just to add to TrevCircleStudios very good comments, I would of recommended a AKG D12 but found they are no longer made (Been out of it a while) also an RE 20 but they are now a ridiculous price. A great alternative would be a PZM, I see you can get these on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Realistic-PZM-Microphone-Vintage.Rare.Retro_W0QQitemZ260726717975QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=217628240243&rvr_id=217628240243&cguid=a759a8e312e0a0aa145656d6fe9f05a1[/URL]

You should be able to get a great sound with your SM58 though + the DI. Remember mike positioning makes all the difference! Start with Placing the mic about 2 inches from the speaker itself but at the bottom of the rim facing up to the centre so itís at an angle of about 45 degrees, then get the girl friend to move it gently back/forward slightly and play with the angle of the mic as its moved, listen as its moved. It really can make a big difference depending on the speaker.
Fingers009 is offline Offline
Old 14th March 2011 , 02:42 AM
Keeper o' the Keys!

£75 for a used Realistic PZM!!! Sheesh... I think I only paid £20 for mine when I bought it new!
Old 27th January 2012 , 02:34 PM

AT4033 is supposed to be good for bass - second hand for your budget
expander is offline Offline
Old 27th January 2012 , 08:32 PM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by expander View Post
AT4033 is supposed to be good for bass - second hand for your budget
Have you used one on bass?