DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Pro Audio
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Pro Audio Mixers, mics, outboard, monitors, headphones

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th May 2010 , 12:44 PM

Default Next step up from Tannoy Reveal 8D monitors?

Hi,

I'm considering my Tannoy Reveal 8D monitors. I'd like to keep the budget to around 800 for an active pair.

The monitors on my shortlist are :-

Adam A7X
Acoustic Energy AE22
Mackie HR624mkII
JBL LSR2328P

Which of these is most likely to offer the most significant step up in performance?
dickiefunk is offline Offline
Old 5th May 2010 , 01:07 PM
Sound Guru

I've never even heard of the Acoustic Energy ones, but I would say out of the other three the Adams win hands-down, I'd have them in a second.

As always, YMMV - although they are a blindingly important part of the chain, monitors can still be a pretty personal thing, and although there can be some consensus on outright "good" vs. "bad" it's a good idea to hear 'em and see how you can work with them if possible.

edit/disclaimer: I do not have any experience with the A7Xs (they're pretty new, does anyone?) - only the predecessor A7s which I've done a couple jobs on at other people's places, including some basic post mixing and VO recording/editing, but never music.
Last edited by whitecat; 5th May 2010 at 01:10 PM. . <
Old 5th May 2010 , 01:23 PM
Forum Poet

The new adams family is currently on the blog.

Barney's View
Old 5th May 2010 , 05:59 PM
Mic Check 1!

Agree with everything said by T3 though at that price I'd add the dynaudio bm6a and perhaps the genelec 8040 to the list (removing all save the Adam on the current list). At that price you might even be able to pick up a used pair of higher end monitors. I think I saw a pair of atc's on GS for about that price just a few days ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
I've never even heard of the Acoustic Energy ones, but I would say out of the other three the Adams win hands-down, I'd have them in a second.

As always, YMMV - although they are a blindingly important part of the chain, monitors can still be a pretty personal thing, and although there can be some consensus on outright "good" vs. "bad" it's a good idea to hear 'em and see how you can work with them if possible.

edit/disclaimer: I do not have any experience with the A7Xs (they're pretty new, does anyone?) - only the predecessor A7s which I've done a couple jobs on at other people's places, including some basic post mixing and VO recording/editing, but never music.
Old 5th May 2010 , 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
Agree with everything said by T3 though at that price I'd add the dynaudio bm6a and perhaps the genelec 8040 to the list (removing all save the Adam on the current list).
The Dynaudio BM6a's cost 1190 which is definitely out of my budget as are the Genelec 8040's at 1340! The new A7x's cost 756 and the AE22's 805.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Am_Bic_Pentameter View Post
The new adams family is currently on the blog.

Barney's View
I've just read both parts of this review and the Adam A7x's do sound very promising!!

I guess it comes down to the Acoustic Energy AE22's or Adam A7x's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
Yes this is very true!! The nearest store to me that sells both of these is just over 200 miles away!! Looks like I need to try and squeeze in a road trip as these will be such an important part of my setup !!
Last edited by dickiefunk; 5th May 2010 at 10:00 PM. . <
Old 14th June 2010 , 05:41 PM

I've tried the Adam A7's and didn't really like them. I also tried the Dynaudio BM6a mkII and I do like these but due to the small size of my room they would need to be placed around 30cm from a wall. The BM6a's are rear ported which I don't think would work as well as either a front ported speaker or closed box design?

I think I narrowed my search down to :-

Acoustic Energy AE22's and Focal CMS 65.

Anyone on here had any experience with these?
Old 14th June 2010 , 06:56 PM
Mic Check 1!

Focal is certainly the bigger name in pro-audio. If I had to buy blind and really wanted new ratehr than used, that's where my money would go.
Old 14th June 2010 , 07:13 PM
Tarnce Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
Focal is certainly the bigger name in pro-audio. If I had to buy blind and really wanted new ratehr than used, that's where my money would go.

Agreed

I listened to the CMS50s against the AE22s, A7s and 8030s at DV Acton and they were stunning.

Once again that was just my own preference.
tehlord is offline Offline
Old 14th June 2010 , 08:37 PM
Forum Poet

Focal get really good write ups.

Must make a note on my gear list.
Old 16th June 2010 , 12:03 PM

Here is a rough layout of my room :-

I am going to be using these monitors for a big variety of styles.

I've narrowed my search down to the Focal's and Acoustic Energys due to the fact that my monitors are near to a wall. Also, my room is quite small and am thinking a ported 8inch speaker would be too much for my room?
Old 16th June 2010 , 12:17 PM

I'm also interested in the Tannoy Precision 8D's as I quite like the sound of my Reveal 8D's but would like more accuracy and detail. These are rear ported but have the Tannoy Activ Assistant feature to tune the speaker to the room.

What are your thoughts on the Tannoy Precision 8D's vs Focal CMS65 and Acoustic Energy AE22s?
Old 16th June 2010 , 02:33 PM
Mic Check 1!

The tannoys are unlikely to be in the same league as the focals.

I'd worry more about that booth though. Small area plus parallel Walls spells boxy recording. You'd have to virtually fill that room with rockwool to sort it out. To be frank you'd be better of binning the booth, making a dead corner, backing into it and using a reflexion filter. That way you could also have your desk set up so the monitors are firing down the long way in the room giving you a better recording and mix environment in one fell swoop. Finally, have you thought about spending a little cash treating the room? Could be the biggest upgrade you could make at this point.
Old 16th June 2010 , 04:42 PM

Hi,

Yes I am treating the room aswell.

I had to build the booth because I have problems with minor road noise outside our house. The booth has 4inches of rockwool in all the walls and ceiling! I am intending to then possibly add some small thin ply strips to certain areas of the walls to add some sound reflections to balance out the deadness. Will experiment to see how I get on!

I have a Reflection Filter but this wasn't enough to sort this problem out. I also have a Shure SM7b which helps to eliminate external noise.
Old 16th June 2010 , 05:08 PM

Well I've just ordered both the Acoustic Energy AE22's and Focal CMS65's and will be trying them out here and keeping the the ones I prefer!!

Can't wait to check them out!!!
Old 16th June 2010 , 06:11 PM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Well I've just ordered both the Acoustic Energy AE22's and Focal CMS65's and will be trying them out here and keeping the the ones I prefer!!

Can't wait to check them out!!!
Definately the best way of choosing. Remember though that what you are looking for if they are for music production is the flattest response rather than the nicest sounding!