DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Old 31st July 2008 , 09:28 PM

Default Soundcard Question

Hi,

i currently have an Emu 0404 soundcard on my daw and im planning on adding an M Audio USB or PCI soundcard so i could run pro tools, will it work if i have both soundcards on my daw? wont i have any driver clashing or whatever?
kilo8017 is offline Offline
Old 31st July 2008 , 09:40 PM
Rave Digga

you could install 2 cards and disable the 0404 when using protools.just goto control panel then system to disable 0404.
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 31st July 2008 , 09:49 PM
Round The Horn

As waxxy says, you can run two soundcards.
I ran my EM-U 1212m PCI card as well as an old Soundblaster Live card for a long time without problems.
If you open Control Panel you can drag and drop "Sounds and Audio Devices" on to your desktop to create a shortcut. I found that to be handy for quickly changing which card was set as system default for sound playback, sound recording and MIDI playback.
saxman is offline Offline
Old 31st July 2008 , 10:39 PM

can i use both at the same time tho? i mean like lets say im running cubase then i run a vst synth on the background not as a plugin on cubase but independent, the vst synth running m audio soundcard while cubase on the emu 0404, will this work?
kilo8017 is offline Offline
Old 31st July 2008 , 10:57 PM
Hell-Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilo8017 View Post
can i use both at the same time tho? i mean like lets say im running cubase then i run a vst synth on the background not as a plugin on cubase but independent, the vst synth running m audio soundcard while cubase on the emu 0404, will this work?
The only way you will get that to work is to set cubase to release the asio driver in background but it will be the same asio driver on both plugins, i have managed to succesfully run recycle and cubase at the same time using on board sound and my motu but i wouldnt advise it tbh, get large delays as it seems the computer has to switch the cards and sound routing ( my guess this is due to the way windows is operating more so than any hardware issues) so if you want to sit around for a sec and let it do that then fine but if you want it to swap quickly your better off using the same drivers/interface for both. The other issue with running 2 programs is you still have to release the asio driver in background to run 2 cards so effectively its just giving you 2 different output sources for 2 different programs where as using 1 card gives you 1 output source for 2 programs but neither in my experience will run together without problems occuring at some point in time.
JAYDMF is offline Offline