DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Pro Audio
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Pro Audio Mixers, mics, outboard, monitors, headphones

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st January 2009 , 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
Hi Frank,

Far be it from me to dip a toe here but I was not advocating multiple subs as a panacea for room problems, indeed my comment about exciting modes less could have been total, misinformed BS!

The point about two subs, very close to each satellite is that it all but removes the "displacement" effect due, AFAIK to less than "razor sharp" cutoff filters. Putting a sub dead centre would be optimum for image* purposes ( but probably not for other factors!).

Best of course is a pair of 1kW pk input 4cuft monitors with serious 15" woofers, but I bet even Trev' ain't going THAT far!

Bloodied but not bowed (well, not completely!)

*The "common knowledge" that we cannot localize LF is only true inside rooms. In the open air (or a very big room) we can for sure tell where the elephant is thundering down at us from!
Dave.
No problem Dave...I knew what you were saying. You're absolutely right about everything you're saying. No worries.

Frank
www.gikacoustics.com
(+44) 020 7558 8976 (UK)
FrankGIK is offline Offline
Old 21st January 2009 , 05:19 PM

Think I'm going to wait a bit to do this now actually, as I'm not going to be living in a permanent place for a few years (first year of uni at the moment!) and then in different places come September.

I'll do some more research into bass trapping though, thanks for the info so far though
Maccy is offline Offline
Old 21st January 2009 , 09:37 PM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
Think I'm going to wait a bit to do this now
Good call.
Old 28th June 2010 , 07:42 PM

The KRK RP series are pretty crap monitors I think personally. They're not very accurate at all, they're like hi-fi. You're better off selling your KRK monitors and putting the money towards a pair of Mackie HR824mk1 monitors because they're very accurate and go very deep down into the frequency range, and trust me, with them you wont need subs.
djteknovibe is offline Offline
Old 28th June 2010 , 09:06 PM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djteknovibe View Post
The KRK RP series are pretty crap monitors I think personally. They're not very accurate at all, they're like hi-fi. You're better off selling your KRK monitors and putting the money towards a pair of Mackie HR824mk1 monitors because they're very accurate and go very deep down into the frequency range, and trust me, with them you wont need subs.
I'll agree with one part of this statement (but will leave you to guess which one just because I'm feeling slightly naughty)
Old 28th June 2010 , 09:13 PM
Tarnce Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
I'll agree with one part of this statement (but will leave you to guess which one just because I'm feeling slightly naughty)

But KRKs must be good. Deadmau5 uses them.
tehlord is offline Offline
Old 28th June 2010 , 09:50 PM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlord View Post
But KRKs must be good. Deadmau5 uses them.
Indeed. And anything on the tv or written in a magazine must be accurate... But if for a minute I believed it was true... I'm sure they don't get paid for saying they use them or anything...(surely they don't even pretend to use the RP series??) And I guess uses them for what is the question... I mean they'd make an attractive doorstop, perhaps as a pair of earrings, maybe even a decent grotbox... Who knows eh.
Old 28th June 2010 , 09:54 PM
Tarnce Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
Indeed. And anything on the tv or written in a magazine must be accurate... But if for a minute I believed it was true... I'm sure they don't get paid for saying they use them or anything...(surely they don't even pretend to use the RP series??) And I guess uses them for what is the question... I mean they'd make an attractive doorstop, perhaps as a pair of earrings, maybe even a decent grotbox... Who knows eh.
Hook, line and sinker - I almost can't believe you bit!
Old 29th June 2010 , 11:20 AM

When I have the money I'm going to replace them. Fed up with them.
Old 29th June 2010 , 03:05 PM
Mic Check 1!

hang on... You guys told me they were brilliant and I had got it completely wrong? You mean... I was right all along?
Old 29th June 2010 , 04:03 PM
Sound Guru

Here's something about KRK monitors all you kids should know (except Trev, he probably knows it).

A very well-known mastering house in London used to use the KRK V-series as their 'grot-boxes.' They may still, I haven't been in a while.

Their main mastering monitors were B&Ws (802, I believe, look 'em up, you can't afford them).

So the KRKs were used much the same way mixing engineers will use NS-10s or Auratones as a secondary monitor - they're basically being used to reflect the hyped, not-necessarily-true-to-life and DEFINITELY not flat response of a home listening setup - "just to check."

I will point out that we're talking about the V-series too, not the RP-series! So if the V-series is being used in a pro environment as the "junk box," what do you think this says about the RP-series?

Derive your own conclusions... I just thought it was worth a mention since this KRK thing doesn't seem to want to die no matter how many times Trev tries to put a bullet in its head.
Old 29th June 2010 , 04:14 PM
Tarnce Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
Here's something about KRK monitors all you kids should know (except Trev, he probably knows it).

A very well-known mastering house in London used to use the KRK V-series as their 'grot-boxes.' They may still, I haven't been in a while.

Their main mastering monitors were B&Ws (802, I believe, look 'em up, you can't afford them).

So the KRKs were used much the same way mixing engineers will use NS-10s or Auratones as a secondary monitor - they're basically being used to reflect the hyped, not-necessarily-true-to-life and DEFINITELY not flat response of a home listening setup - "just to check."

I will point out that we're talking about the V-series too, not the RP-series! So if the V-series is being used in a pro environment as the "junk box," what do you think this says about the RP-series?

Derive your own conclusions... I just thought it was worth a mention since this KRK thing doesn't seem to want to die no matter how many times Trev tries to put a bullet in its head.

And i'll tell you something YOU kids should know.

Many of us don't have several hundred, or considerably more pounds to spend on monitors. I also wouldn't have known where to start when I bought my KRKs even if I did have the money to spend.

I was mixing on hifi speakers pre-KRK and with no real additional skill on my part the mixes I was doing improved overnight on the grot boxes.

They are cheap, very cheap, and allowed me to get that much closer to where I wanted to be.

Now my entire setup probably costs less than a single mid range Focal monitor but most of it is probably still far more capable than my ears or the room they're in.

I for one am well aware that my gear has shortcomings (I mean I don't even own a Mac ffs) but it's a hobby. You do realise some people do this for fun as well? I think Trev knows that too.
Old 29th June 2010 , 07:07 PM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlord View Post
And i'll tell you something YOU kids should know.

Many of us don't have several hundred, or considerably more pounds to spend on monitors. I also wouldn't have known where to start when I bought my KRKs even if I did have the money to spend.

I was mixing on hifi speakers pre-KRK and with no real additional skill on my part the mixes I was doing improved overnight on the grot boxes.

They are cheap, very cheap, and allowed me to get that much closer to where I wanted to be.

Now my entire setup probably costs less than a single mid range Focal monitor but most of it is probably still far more capable than my ears or the room they're in.

I for one am well aware that my gear has shortcomings (I mean I don't even own a Mac ffs) but it's a hobby. You do realise some people do this for fun as well? I think Trev knows that too.
Im absolutely fine with all of that. The only thing I've objected to all along is people saying they are excellent/ruler flat/as good as anything out there/used by the pros. Go back and read pretty much any of the threads where I've come under attack for being 'contraversial'. On almost every occasion I've been debunking a myth being perpetuated about a piece of gear. I absolutely understand that for some people these purchases constitute a major investment. That's exactly why I try and debunk myths when I see them... So that people don't waste their hard earned on something they'll quickly grow out of.
Old 29th June 2010 , 07:15 PM
Sound Guru

exactly...

buy correctly once, or buy incorrectly multiple times... you'll see which one ends up costing more money in the end. especially if you've picked something up based on inaccurate info.

if the monitors work for you, and you can achieve good mixes on them, and they don't cost a lot, there's no problem with that at all!!
Old 29th June 2010 , 07:34 PM
Tarnce Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
exactly...

buy correctly once, or buy incorrectly multiple times... you'll see which one ends up costing more money in the end. especially if you've picked something up based on inaccurate info.

if the monitors work for you, and you can achieve good mixes on them, and they don't cost a lot, there's no problem with that at all!!
I agree completely. But I had to make a judgement call on what I speant against my own room/ears too. At a time when I had a new baby and a property that was (and still is to a certain extent) consuming 1000-2000 a week in renovation costs.

So i've spent 300 on a set of absolute bottom of the range monitors, and they've allowed me to learn a certain percentage of what I wanted to learn in a short period of time. I doubt very much I would have acheived the same results on cans or hifi speakers while I was saving for grown up monitors. I'll probably end up recouping 60% of their price when I sell them and they'll have cost me a couple of quid a week to have owned.

AND!.....

If somebody tries to say the KRKs are brilliant and flat i'll stand side by side with the T-Clan and also point and laugh at them!