DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Old 24th October 2008 , 01:02 PM
Forum Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnuk View Post

I wanted an opinion and a perspective, that's how forums are best utilised among other resources.

When i asked about midi, i was asking for a concise responses on how
as i said forums are useful because they allow you do not have to filter through great volumes of information for answers to specific questions.

Care to give your perspective on the questions i asked?

Thanks,

Rsn
did mine not help
http://twitter.com/djsureno
sureno is offline Offline
Old 24th October 2008 , 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modz1 View Post
Hi rsnuk

It is indeed.. Some of your questions are basic knowledge search questions which may be best satisfied by doing a basic google search or checking out Wikipedia (eg: "What is stereo, what is mono")

To effectively answer the rest of the studio set up related Q's you have, please advise if you are running a PC or a Mac?.. and, as NDK stated above 'what is your budget'? The Forum members will need this information before they can help you..
Regards
Modz1
Thanks, sometimes i am just to busy for that, hence i seek to utilise forum resources, as it was basic non complex or technical knowledge, i thought it would be easy enough to request some concise perspectives and descriptions.

My budget is 500 pounds maybe more, i can't really define my budget until i know what i require, i wasn't looking for recommendations on what to purchase as much as what components i need and what the relevance of various component within the propose system would be.

I can spare or less money, but i need to understand the system first.

Thank you,

Rsn
rsnuk is offline Offline
Old 24th October 2008 , 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
did mine not help
Just going to read yours now, looks good

Just felt there was an opportunity to make a point about how you find characters in forums who always suggest you read links sometimes implying laziness for not using Google or checking over Wikipedia, that wasn't how he came across, just felt like making the philosophical point that forums are about communication, sharing and helping each other, sharing ideas and perspectives, it's a self teaching community, it teaches newbies then newbies teach new newbies and it's like self strengthening wave propagation, the whole "read this link" thing reminds me of school, i hated school....
rsnuk is offline Offline
Old 24th October 2008 , 01:09 PM
Sound Guru

So you're too busy to do the basic homework on your own, but you expect forum members to take time out of their schedules to answer all of your questions?? That doesn't make a lot of sense. I recommend this:

Amazon.co.uk: Home Recording for Musicians for Dummies (For Dummies): Jeff Strong: Books

... and then get back to us with questions that will fill in the gaps.
whitecat is offline Offline
Old 24th October 2008 , 01:12 PM
Forum Idol

ok you essentially need

a computer
an audio interface (with pre's preferably)
some monitors (speakers)
a mic and optional stand
a D.A.S (digital audio sequencer)

i want get into acoustic sound treatment at this level yet but this is something you will have to address in the future if you keep at it

and of coarse the appropriate cables but that depends on what set up you buy so i suggest you tackle the items i mentioned first

just tick the items you have and focus on what you dont, what computer have you got. i also think people are suggesting reaper because its a good program and cheap. it can do almost all what the more expensive programs do too
Last edited by sureno; 24th October 2008 at 01:16 PM. . <
Old 24th October 2008 , 01:15 PM
Forum Scribe

Quote:
ok you essentially need

a computer
some monitors (speakers)
a mic

and of coarse the appropriate cables but that depends on what set up you buy so i suggest you tackle the items i mentioned first
Excellent breakdown sureno, I think rsnuk said he had a budget of 500 or maybe more, so it is then a case of fitting those requirements into that budget. Hope that helps rsnuk
Monarch is offline Offline
Old 24th October 2008 , 01:28 PM
Mic Check 1!

There are some fairly simple single box solutions for what you are looking for. You indicate that the 24/96 doesnt do what you need to to do. What is it lacking? If it's channels, how many channels do you need? Will you only record one thing at a time?

We all understand that it's difficult to get into this stuff at the outset but what we need to understand to help you best is what your budget is (which you've already told us is 500) and what you want to record with your set up?

If you dont have anything but the 24/96 at this point then 500 is not a large budget.
Old 24th October 2008 , 01:36 PM

Quote:
I think that i need mixer, but i don't know what it does and what practical use a mixer is? What does a mixer do?

you only really need a mixer to

group recordings and adjust volume level out of the computer
use it as a volume level in general for signals in and out of the computer
route different audio signals to where you desire and use effects in that signals path

I dont think you really need one if you just want to record vocals from 1 source (1 voice)
So a mixer is just a matter of convenience for recording multiple sources, it offers no sound benefit, only control over recoding sessions controlling volumes and routing signals, when you say effect, do you mean like hardware synths?

Quote:

I have an audiophile 2496 sound card that i have thought about trading for a card with more inputs and outputs

I would, something with jacks and XLR pre amps in, you can pick them up for 100 check this thread out Which USB interface for 100
Does USB in anyway restrict audio signal transfer?

Why is it that I've heard people complain of USB condenser microphones, is this due to quality of audio signal transferred by USB or something else?

Quote:
I'm also interested to know what sort of inputs and outputs i will need on a sound card, the audiophile has RCA inputs and outputs and only 1 channel for each.

ideally for audio, balanced jack and balanced XLR
for midi signal, midi in and an out should suffice
this is pretty standard on most audio interfaces

Could you pleas explain what you mean by balanced?

Quote:

How does an RCA audio signal work compared to a XLR?

XLR is considered the professional standard along with jacks
check out beginners guide connectors
RCA imo has always been considered the lower end connector
Okay thanks!

Quote:

RCA seems to need too cables for the signal, does this have something to do with stereo?

yes RCA utilises left and right, red and white or sometimes red and black/blue one colour indicating one side the other colour the other side, L&R. i myself am unsure of which is which.

If so why does a microphone still need to be plugged into both RCA plugs, i think i read that vocal audio signals are monophonic?
Is that true?

theoretically i don't think it does most mics unless specified are mono meaning one signal, so there for only needing one channel, you can get a mono to stereo splitter cable but that will only duplicate the mono signal into stereo, meaning two signals. they will simply be identical, so it would be the same as copying and pasting one monophonic signal

If so, can vocals be recorded in stereo?

yes anything can be recorded in stereo to what effect remains on the situation but true stereo will involve two mics
How does stereo actually produce a different sound to mono?

Quote:

What exactly is stereo and mono?

stereo (stereophonic)=two signals
mono (monophonic)=one signal
check out my glossary (link below)

How does an XLR signal work?

im not fully up to speed with this but that article i mentioned should shed some light and basically you have balanced/stereo or unbalanced/mono XLR leads

each XLR has 3 pins they are wired differently to determine type
XLR types
Thanks!

Quote:

Why have i read that XLR's can be used in pair like RCA cables, what would be the purpose of this?

this would simply be 2 mono XLR leads one for the left signal one for the right so as to provide stereo image
Is stereo simply layering tracks on top of each other then, in a DAW, can you take two separate tracks and it will save them each a a separate composite of a stereo track and the DAW would program into the track which is left and which is right, it's as simple as that?

Can one simply layer an identical mono tracks on top of each other to create a stereo effect, or do their need to be nuancal differences between them in order for it to become truly stereo?

Thanks.

Quote:

Does my midi keyboard controller need to be plugged into an audio input on my soundcard?
no, either if applicable USB or a midi port, if your soundcard/audio interface hasn't got midi something like this will suffice

Can midi signals be transferred this way?

if you mean by audio signal, no

useful reading

Glossary. This will bring you up to speed on some terminologies used here

wikipedia is great too
Thanks again, i found a better link on wiki for what mixing is, titled audio mixing as opposing to mixing console, it was concise.

Audio mixing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Peace,

Rsnuk
rsnuk is offline Offline
Last edited by rsnuk; 24th October 2008 at 01:47 PM. . <
Old 24th October 2008 , 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
There are some fairly simple single box solutions for what you are looking for. You indicate that the 24/96 doesnt do what you need to to do. What is it lacking? If it's channels, how many channels do you need? Will you only record one thing at a time?

We all understand that it's difficult to get into this stuff at the outset but what we need to understand to help you best is what your budget is (which you've already told us is 500) and what you want to record with your set up?

If you dont have anything but the 24/96 at this point then 500 is not a large budget.
I only need to record 1 audio signal at a time, but wish to listen two separate audio signals at the same time, i was at first curious if a mixer could provide for separating vocal and audio signals from the one output channel I've got on the audiophile.

Now i can see that's not possible right?

I need a new interface with at least 2 outputs and 1 input that needs to have a powerful enough preamp to support whichever microphone i choose.

A Preamp is the same as a phantom power source correct?

Is a phantom power source, not just plugging your mic into a wall socket?

I already stated my total desired setup in my initial post lol, did you read it?

Thanks,

Rsn
rsnuk is offline Offline
Old 24th October 2008 , 01:59 PM
Forum Idol

So a mixer is just a matter of convenience for recording multiple sources, it offers no sound benefit, only control over recoding sessions controlling volumes and routing signals, when you say effect, do you mean like hardware synths?

at your level (no disrespect)there would be no sound benefit if any thing could degrade quality, remember your system is as good as your weakest link. keep it basic. effects such as outboard gear, reverbs, delays, compressors etc

Does USB in anyway restrict audio signal transfer?

other than latency issues (latency= time difference between signal into comp vs signal out of comp) not to my knowledge but latency is on all systems and can be tackled with fair ease

Why is it that I've heard people complain of USB condenser microphones, is this due to quality of audio signal transferred by USB or something else?

can't answer sorry, no experience

Could you pleas explain what you mean by balanced?

really simply balanced cables reduce the effects of external noise by cable length, the longer the more suseptible

"A typical balanced cable contains two identical wires, which are twisted together and then wrapped with a third conductor (foil or braid) that acts as a shield"

How does stereo actually produce a different sound to mono?

lol these questions are getting interesting wow im not sure how to explain that, you are basically taking recordings from the same source but from different points, one mic will be left one the right this will then be portrayed via the speakers, essentially you will hear left mic on left speaker and right mic on right speaker but then panning comes into it so all can change. actually an example would be recording a bongo drum for help of explaining lets say one mic is on one the other mic on the other bongo, you will then hear the drums alternating on the speakers according to which is being hit, you will also get bleed but the main source will be the loudest, this helps giving an image to the listener of 3D nature. what will you be recording?
Old 24th October 2008 , 02:06 PM
Forum Idol

I only need to record 1 audio signal at a time, but wish to listen two separate audio signals at the same time, i was at first curious if a mixer could provide for separating vocal and audio signals from the one output channel I've got on the audiophile.

I need a new interface with at least 2 outputs and 1 input that needs to have a powerful enough preamp to support whichever microphone i choose. you really only need min 2 outputs, they will be for your monitors/speakers you ideally route the output of your D.A.S to what you want to hear, it essentially is your virtual mixer. word of advice do not record and monitor vocals via your monitor speakers it can cause feedback, use headphones to listen to the music while the singer sings, you may want to listen to vocals and music the singer may want the same but at different levels or just the music. this can all be done inside of the D.A.S
this may be ideal for you

A Preamp is the same as a phantom power source correct? no

NO!!! it is often a little button/switch next to the XLR in on the mixer/audio interface
Old 24th October 2008 , 02:06 PM

Quote:

can't answer sorry, no experience
The biggest problem that i've noticed with USB mic's is that they all convert analogue to digital at 16bit resolution - so they are all kind of 'low quality' even if the microphone that its built around has good specs (weakest link in the chain )
Dazzathedrummer is offline Offline
Old 24th October 2008 , 02:09 PM

Quote:
ok you essentially need

a computer
some monitors (speakers)
a mic and optional stand

i want get into acoustic sound treatment at this level yet but this is something you will have to address in the future if you keep at it

just tick the items you have and focus on what you dont, what computer have you got. i also think people are suggesting reaper because its a good program and cheap. it can do almost all what the more expensive programs do too
I have question about monitors, i'm going to copy this from another forum, someone directed me here telling me it was newbie friendly

"

I have also considered getting some studio monitors, however, i am question whether i need them or not.

Seeing as most speakers that any music will be played on will be hi-fi, wouldn't hi-fi speakers be a better reference point for sound, as long as they are "average".

If you can get a good sound out of some average hi-fi speakers, then you know that your doing well, right?

From what i understand, audio quality is determined by the quality of the audio signal, quality speakers, merely tweak sounds, these changes in the interpretation of the audio signal, may or may not be favorable.

Is this idea of quality speakers and need for studio monitors over hyped?

I would not mind a new set of speakers, i'm not sure what kind, i would not have too many opportunities to play them loud, i can't even use the speakers i have above a quarter volume without complaints.

This bring me onto my next question, is there anything i could do to my room, to both improve acoustics(what would an improvement even be?) and prevent anywhere near as much sound from traveling through the floors walls and ceiling?

Thanks,

RSN"

I'm already interested in acoustic treatment, i'm moving soon into an apartment complex and want to turn a room into a home studio, however there are conditions placed on noise levels, so i need i ideally want to improve acoustic(what is the basic theory behind this?) and prevent sounds leaving.

I've got extra money for a sequencer, I'd appreciate advice in this regard, i'll basically want to be creating track used virtual instruments, i have read the Reason is good for this, but does not allow usage of VSTs which as i understand it are the primary format for soft synths.

I already have reaper, but I'm looking for optimal productivity creativity and will spare no expense i securing an effective DAW system, so even though the other sequencers are many times the price, this does not matter, i simply wish to have the best suited program to what i wish to do.

As far as i can tell all midi sequencers are essentially the same, more a matter of personal preference?

What features are common to all sequencers and what distinguishes them from each other?

Is there a difference between a DAW and DAS, does DAW mean the entire system including hardware and DAS refer to recording and midi sequencing programs or are there distinct types of program of class DAW and DAS?

Thanks,

rsn.
rsnuk is offline Offline
Last edited by rsnuk; 26th October 2008 at 01:08 PM. . <
Old 24th October 2008 , 02:10 PM
Mic Check 1!

Good answers frm Sureno. A simple solution like an mbox would get you well on your way.

Quote:

I need a new interface with at least 2 outputs and 1 input that needs to have a powerful enough preamp to support whichever microphone i choose. you really only need min 2 outputs, they will be for your monitors/speakers you ideally route the output of your D.A.S to what you want to hear, it essentially is your virtual mixer. word of advice do not record and monitor vocals via your monitor speakers it can cause feedback, use headphones to listen to the music while the singer sings, you may want to listen to vocals and music the singer may want the same but at different levels or just the music. this can all be done inside of the D.A.S
this may be ideal for you

A Preamp is the same as a phantom power source correct? no

NO!!! it is often a little button/switch next to the XLR in on the mixer/audio interface
Old 24th October 2008 , 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzathedrummer View Post
The biggest problem that i've noticed with USB mic's is that they all convert analogue to digital at 16bit resolution - so they are all kind of 'low quality' even if the microphone that its built around has good specs (weakest link in the chain )
Does this happen will USB Audio Interfaces? External USB soundcards?

Odd that the manufacturers haven't corrected this.

How many bit resolution to condenser microphones usually record at 24-bit? Do they record in higher than 24-bit, or is that up to the sound card to interpret the signal and decide however many bits it want to process it as?

Thanks,

rsn
rsnuk is offline Offline
Closed Thread