DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Old 13th October 2008 , 02:21 PM

Default Pre Master Problem

I've just created a pre-master of a track I've made. All the parts were recorded at 24bit 48Khz and it was rendered to this as well (Using Ableton) The WAV file on my computer works fine when I listen to it again in the DAW but when I burn the file to a CD-R and drag and drop the WAV in there are dropouts in the sound of the file.

Im going to send the disc off for a final master and just wondering if the drop outs are coming from the disc reading slowly (therefore meaning the file itself is actually OK) or if I need to do something else to try and avoid this problem from happening? Anybody got any ideas on this?
Centrifuge is offline Offline
Old 13th October 2008 , 02:33 PM
Mic Check 1!

Firs of all (to be a pedant) that is a final mix, not a pre-master. Bizaarrely the pre-master is what you get back from (the master is the process of cutting a glass/vinyl master).

Now, pedantry aside, as you trying to play the cdr in a player other than your daw? If so, the likely problem is that most players (aside from expensive high end ones) cannot play 24 bit cds.

Burn a couple and send them. The ME will call you and tell you if there's a problem.
Old 13th October 2008 , 02:43 PM

I just tried with my Macbook and its absolutely fine on it. Cheers for the info and advice there - will def send two copies just in case. Its actually the first time I've sent anything off so much appreciated
Old 13th October 2008 , 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centrifuge View Post
I've just created a pre-master of a track I've made. All the parts were recorded at 24bit 48Khz and it was rendered to this as well (Using Ableton) The WAV file on my computer works fine when I listen to it again in the DAW but when I burn the file to a CD-R and drag and drop the WAV in there are dropouts in the sound of the file.

Im going to send the disc off for a final master and just wondering if the drop outs are coming from the disc reading slowly (therefore meaning the file itself is actually OK) or if I need to do something else to try and avoid this problem from happening? Anybody got any ideas on this?
Is there some reason why it needs to be at 48Khz? It needs to be send to mastering at 24/44.1 unless it's a embedded audio for a video file.

Frank
www.gikacoustics.com
(+44) 020 7558 8976 (UK)
FrankGIK is offline Offline
Old 14th October 2008 , 10:53 PM

No reason in particular, I was working under the presumption that the 48khz would mean a better quality file and all the parts were recorded at 24/48. I spoke to the mastering engineer and he advised and explained why its prob best to do things 44 for future projects but was happy enough to accept the file.