DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Pro Audio
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Pro Audio Mixers, mics, outboard, monitors, headphones

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th July 2010 , 03:01 PM
Pushing the Envelope

Default At2020

The AT2020 was raved about, and held up surprisingly well across the board.
mutilatedlip is offline Offline
Old 18th July 2010 , 03:15 PM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlord View Post
Ok Ta

I may just buy the PDF review as I don't think i'll still find a July isue for sale.
I think I might have it around somewhere. PM me your address and I'll send it to ya.
Old 18th July 2010 , 05:49 PM
Uber Member

I have it lying around too just in case.
Piano is offline Offline
Old 29th July 2010 , 12:10 PM
Tarnce Monkey

I just ordered a Solaris from DV and despite it being shown as 'in stock' I've now received an email saying that's not the case, and it'll take up to 3 working days to find out how many working days it'll be before it's back in stock.

I do have to say that if I hadn't been a DV customer for a while I probably would have cancelled the order by now, and may still do so if the eventual delivery ETA is too long.

That ain't a great system tbh.
tehlord is offline Offline
Old 29th July 2010 , 12:28 PM
Mic Check 1!

am not one to complain publically about particular matters but I've had to take my money elsewhere on at least 2 occasions recently and am about to do so on a 3rd item. Sure it's only a grand here and a grand there but given my annual spend I do find it suprising...
Old 29th July 2010 , 12:37 PM
Tarnce Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
am not one to complain publically about particular matters but I've had to take my money elsewhere on at least 2 occasions recently and am about to do so on a 3rd item. Sure it's only a grand here and a grand there but given my annual spend I do find it suprising...
I wouldn't have mentioned it, but I've defended DVs support twice in the last 3-4 months for this exact issue saying it was probably a one off.

The Solaris is now showing as out of stock, but why did it take my order (and payment) to raise this fact?

Not for this thread I suppose but i'm mighty peeved.
tehlord is offline Offline
Old 29th July 2010 , 04:34 PM

I too have had excellent service from DV's in the last 2 years or so but I recently enquired as to why they do not stock the ESI Maya 44 PCI-e soundcard and got a load of bollocks and a guy trying to flog me an AI.

I suspect the bean counters have taken over yet another good firm
..........*Sigh...* Will they NEVER learn?

Dave
ecc83 is offline Offline
Old 12th October 2010 , 09:37 AM

Quote:
I'd be dubious about anyone that says they can do a decent mod for 50 quid. To put it in some context klaus heyne does a u87 mod in which he removes the pad and tweaks the capsule and that's about (1500 quid and he has a 2 year waiting list. If this guy could get even close to making an nt1a sound like even a mid range mic for 50 quid he waiting list would be years long. If you think about it where the nt1a suffers is its fingernails on the blackboard style strident highs. That's Likely gonna come from the capsule or basket. What's the chances of parts and labour coming to less that 50quid for that? Pretty slim I'd say. All that said, I'm a big beleiver that hearing is believing so would love to hear the difference (perhaps also throwing a u 67 or even an 87 into the mix to see how they compare.) if I had an nt1a I might even throw the cash at it just for the fun of it. Now I think I know of a forum member with a pair of them. I'd throw some cash in if a few others would to get one of them modded and would be happy to run a shootout here to see the results. Anyone up for this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlokeFromBarnet
I was going to say, for the price of a 2nd hand NT1 and 50, next month's pay cheque has a reservation for it already.
I'd be happy to send it up to you if you wanna give it a blast. I don't have the right gear (or a U67 lol) to make a meaningful comparison.
I haven't forgotten about this btw. My ageing studio (giant 2 room wooden shed + recording gear in it) recently became an indoor paddling pool after the roof decided it was time to get down and shag the floor.
Thankfully all the gear is ok tho, but I guess I'll be busy having a great bonfire this year and building a new studio (properly this time).

Have asked Santa for an NT1, will send it over when he's delivered it
Bloke From Barnet is offline Offline
Old 2nd January 2012 , 07:36 PM
Uber Member

First time i have read through this thread.

Interesting points.

For ages i have been using the same mics for the same things.

NT5 on acoustic Guitar,

SM57 AND NT5 on electric Guitars.

M-Audio solaris on vocals.

I recently switched to using the SM57 for acoustic Guitars though and i preferred the sound to using the NT5.

I probably prefer the NT5 for electric Guitar but i have the SE R1 Ribbon mic on my radar for that job too as i sometimes think the NT5 sounds harsh and that particular SE ribbon seems to be really good value for money and consistently gets good reviews so i think it's worth a punt.

I still use my trusty Solaris only on vocals. I keep meaning to give it a bash on my Guitar cab but have yet to do so.

I don't always think the Solaris is right for certain songs i sing so i would like another option there too but again it's a case of, what do you choose? I fancy going for something a bit more upmarket like the AKG C414.

I recently experimented with using the SM57 for vocals but it just didn't happen for me. I am using a really good preamp but when i sang into the SM57, i found it really hard not to get a popping sound.

I had noticed a lot of artists using them for vocals and decided it was worth a try but unless i was doing something wrong somewhere, it just sounded wrong.

Mics are most certainly subjective and what you're putting them infront of certainly matters!
Piano is offline Offline
Old 2nd January 2012 , 08:41 PM
Mic Check 1!

Give the 414 a miss and get your Solaris on your acoustic guitar.

Get your headphones on and move your nt5 around (or get your missus to move it while you wear the ehadphones). There will be a place where it sounds less harsh though, at the end of the day and given its pricepoint, it will never sound like a KM84 (note, do not run of and buy a KM184, it is NOT the same thing).

I havent used the SE ribbon to the best of my recollection. Cascade fatheads are even better bang for buck (and if you upgrade to the Lundahl mod the top end opens nicely).

Get yourself a pop shield.

Have fun!

around
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piano View Post
First time i have read through this thread.

Interesting points.

For ages i have been using the same mics for the same things.

NT5 on acoustic Guitar,

SM57 AND NT5 on electric Guitars.

M-Audio solaris on vocals.

I recently switched to using the SM57 for acoustic Guitars though and i preferred the sound to using the NT5.

I probably prefer the NT5 for electric Guitar but i have the SE R1 Ribbon mic on my radar for that job too as i sometimes think the NT5 sounds harsh and that particular SE ribbon seems to be really good value for money and consistently gets good reviews so i think it's worth a punt.

I still use my trusty Solaris only on vocals. I keep meaning to give it a bash on my Guitar cab but have yet to do so.

I don't always think the Solaris is right for certain songs i sing so i would like another option there too but again it's a case of, what do you choose? I fancy going for something a bit more upmarket like the AKG C414.

I recently experimented with using the SM57 for vocals but it just didn't happen for me. I am using a really good preamp but when i sang into the SM57, i found it really hard not to get a popping sound.

I had noticed a lot of artists using them for vocals and decided it was worth a try but unless i was doing something wrong somewhere, it just sounded wrong.

Mics are most certainly subjective and what you're putting them infront of certainly matters!
Old 3rd January 2012 , 07:55 PM
Uber Member

Quote:
Give the 414 a miss and get your Solaris on your acoustic guitar.

Get your headphones on and move your nt5 around (or get your missus to move it while you wear the ehadphones). There will be a place where it sounds less harsh though, at the end of the day and given its pricepoint, it will never sound like a KM84 (note, do not run of and buy a KM184, it is NOT the same thing).

I havent used the SE ribbon to the best of my recollection. Cascade fatheads are even better bang for buck (and if you upgrade to the Lundahl mod the top end opens nicely).

Get yourself a pop shield.

Have fun!

around
I have a pop shield, didn't do any good. The sm57 just didn't work on my vocal at all.
Doesn't really matter though, the solaris is generally fine for that. Hadn't thought of using it on acoustic Guitar mind you. Will give it a try.

Defo want a new mic for my amp though and i reckon the SE ribbon would be a decent choice and the sm7b when i'm a bit more flush.
Piano is offline Offline
Old 3rd January 2012 , 07:57 PM
Uber Member

Just out of interest, why dya reckon i shouldn't bother with the 414?
Piano is offline Offline
Old 3rd January 2012 , 09:46 PM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piano View Post
Just out of interest, why dya reckon i shouldn't bother with the 414?
the modern ones really arent ver nice.
Old 3rd January 2012 , 10:44 PM
Uber Member

Quote:
the modern ones really arent ver nice.
Ah, didn't know that.

I know Freddie Mercury used one. Would have been the old one mind you. Didn't realise the new ones were much different.

You'll know better than me though so i'll take your word for it.
Piano is offline Offline
Old 4th January 2012 , 10:22 AM
Mic Check 1!

the old ones (c414 eb) had a different capsule. The new ones don't even sound close.