DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Pro Audio
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Pro Audio Mixers, mics, outboard, monitors, headphones

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 14th October 2008 , 12:13 PM
Mic Check 1!
 
TrevCircleStudios's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: England
Posts: 3,829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarch View Post
Interesting points Frank.

You mentioned Chinese brands...I have heard a lot about the SE Mics, they seem to get good reviews (I think they are a Chinese brand)....I would guess they are low to mid in terms of Mic class...how would you rate them?
Low to low-mid. The ones I've tried have a boosted highs/harsh thing going on that I didn't like at all.


Quote:
But then saying that, a vocal through an SM-57 processed with Trash for an alternate, but nice vocal sound did the job recently.
Like both i and frank have said above a decent dynamic paired with a great pre is a compeltely different mic. I predict a riot (kaiser chiefs) lead vocal was done on an sm58
______________________________
www.circlestudios.co.uk
TrevCircleStudios is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 14th October 2008 , 02:10 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarch View Post
Interesting points Frank.

You mentioned Chinese brands...I have heard a lot about the SE Mics, they seem to get good reviews (I think they are a Chinese brand)....I would guess they are low to mid in terms of Mic class...how would you rate them?
Hey, don't get me wrong...I own and track with my fair share of cheap, Chinese manufactured mics. That doesn't necessarily equal "bad"...it's all in the design. The SE stuff, though made in China is an example of fantastic value...you get a lot for spending a little. On the other hand, the Behringer B-1 is absolute, unadulterated CRAP...you get nothing for spending just about as much as an SE.

Don't let the purists talk you into spending your whole budget on a U87 just to have one. It's better to have a bunch of nice value mics (SM7b, Fat Head, AT-4040/40450, Shure KSM series and SM series, SE, some MXL stuff...the list goes on) and some nice pre's than have a single, *ahem* over-priced mic and no good pre's.

Frank
______________________________
Frank Oesterheld
GIK Acoustics
GIK Bradford Now Open!
www.gikacoustics.com
(+44) 020 7558 8976 (UK)
FrankGIK is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 14th October 2008 , 02:14 PM
Sound Guru
 
whitecat's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Surrey / London
Posts: 2,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankGIK View Post
Don't let the purists talk you into spending your whole budget on a U87 just to have one.
Correction: vintage U87. The newer ones are just awful, absolutely unuseable.

(tongue firmly planted in cheek)

whitecat is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 14th October 2008 , 02:27 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
Correction: vintage U87. The newer ones are just awful, absolutely unuseable.

(tongue firmly planted in cheek)

T3...you snob, you.

Frank
______________________________
Frank Oesterheld
GIK Acoustics
GIK Bradford Now Open!
www.gikacoustics.com
(+44) 020 7558 8976 (UK)
FrankGIK is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 14th October 2008 , 08:12 PM
Forum Scribe
 
Monarch's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
I mainly use a Brauner Phantom C which is a beautiful mic for the money and comparable to stuff far more expensive. Just lower in price than it's big brothers due to less options/patterns etc.

I also use an MXL V69 which is a gorgeous mic for the money. It's tube and a great companion to the Brauner for darkening and warming vocals.

But then saying that, a vocal through an SM-57 processed with Trash for an alternate, but nice vocal sound did the job recently.
Cheers. I need to Google some of those brands. SM -57 I know of but not the others. Judging by your feedback they are worth a very serious look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios
Low to low-mid. The ones I've tried have a boosted highs/harsh thing going on that I didn't like at all.
Hmmm I'll probably not risk the SE's then. Thanks Trev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankGIK
Hey, don't get me wrong...I own and track with my fair share of cheap, Chinese manufactured mics. That doesn't necessarily equal "bad"...it's all in the design. The SE stuff, though made in China is an example of fantastic value...you get a lot for spending a little. On the other hand, the Behringer B-1 is absolute, unadulterated CRAP...you get nothing for spending just about as much as an SE.

Don't let the purists talk you into spending your whole budget on a U87 just to have one. It's better to have a bunch of nice value mics (SM7b, Fat Head, AT-4040/40450, Shure KSM series and SM series, SE, some MXL stuff...the list goes on) and some nice pre's than have a single, *ahem* over-priced mic and no good pre's.

Frank
Plenty for me to think about in that post Frank. Cheers! You made a really good point about Pre's. That is something I need to look at more closely at some point.
Monarch is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 14th October 2008 , 09:13 PM
Mic Check 1!
 
TrevCircleStudios's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: England
Posts: 3,829
Default

Quote:
Hmmm I'll probably not risk the SE's then. Thanks Trev.
As ever man, YMMV. Try em yourself, they might be fine to your ears! (to put this in context, I dislike the neumann TLM103, nasty harsh thin sounding thing to my ears. A friend whose judgement I trust and who has some reasonable credits is using one at the moment on a label job with an API 512 and a drawmer 1968. Not a combination that would enter my head for vox but he says it's working for him so hey, just goes to show!)
______________________________
www.circlestudios.co.uk
TrevCircleStudios is offline Offline
Last edited by TrevCircleStudios; 14th October 2008 at 09:16 PM. . <
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 14th October 2008 , 09:18 PM
Sound Guru
 
whitecat's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Surrey / London
Posts: 2,740
Default

I've got an sE 2200A ... makes a great room mic, and decent on some male vox as well (in a certain range.) Money well spent, it's cheap!

As with anything at such a low price, there are compromises. For example, if there's a worse mic for female vox I haven't heard it yet (B*hringer does not count, because I *refuse* to hear it) ...

But it's nice for a fairly low cash outlay. Given the choice I'd spend a teeny bit more and get a CAD M179 if it was a serious budget issue, but there's nothing fundamentally wrong with the 2200A on the right sources. And that's the trick with these cheaper mics, as has been pretty much stated - on the right sources, they can be absolutely just fine, but they're not gonna work on everything, whereas an expensive mic probably will work on (almost) everything.

And, erm, +1, or -1, or whatever it is for the TLM103 - basically I agree with Trev, it sucks, and for the money, you're better buying a handful of Chinese mics. But as he's also illustrated, your experience may differ.
whitecat is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 15th October 2008 , 11:27 AM
Forum Scribe
 
Monarch's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
As ever man, YMMV. Try em yourself, they might be fine to your ears! (to put this in context, I dislike the neumann TLM103, nasty harsh thin sounding thing to my ears. A friend whose judgement I trust and who has some reasonable credits is using one at the moment on a label job with an API 512 and a drawmer 1968. Not a combination that would enter my head for vox but he says it's working for him so hey, just goes to show!)
Good points. I guess I am using your knowledge as a guide of sorts (you , Frank, T3 e.t.c know way more than me here) but yeah I will look to try them myself which makes sense. The perception of how something sounds really is so subjective but it's nice to get some feedback from those who have already been there. Thanks.

Quote:
I've got an sE 2200A ... makes a great room mic, and decent on some male vox as well (in a certain range.) Money well spent, it's cheap!

As with anything at such a low price, there are compromises. For example, if there's a worse mic for female vox I haven't heard it yet (B*hringer does not count, because I *refuse* to hear it) ...

But it's nice for a fairly low cash outlay. Given the choice I'd spend a teeny bit more and get a CAD M179 if it was a serious budget issue, but there's nothing fundamentally wrong with the 2200A on the right sources. And that's the trick with these cheaper mics, as has been pretty much stated - on the right sources, they can be absolutely just fine, but they're not gonna work on everything, whereas an expensive mic probably will work on (almost) everything.

And, erm, +1, or -1, or whatever it is for the TLM103 - basically I agree with Trev, it sucks, and for the money, you're better buying a handful of Chinese mics. But as he's also illustrated, your experience may differ.
Cheers T3... Lots to consider...I need to Google that CAD M179 you mentioned. Quite a few names have popped up on this thread that are now on my list to consider

The feedback on this thread has been a rich source of info for me and I did not even start this thread

Thanks again guys!
Monarch is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 15th October 2008 , 11:36 AM
Administrator
 
modz1's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: May 2008
Location: London
Posts: 1,848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarch View Post
Edit:

The feedback on this thread has been a rich source of info for me and I did not even start this thread

Thanks again guys!
Top advice from the boys in the know.. Thread stickied..
______________________________
"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.."
modz1 is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 28th November 2008 , 03:07 PM
Super Member
 
Bloke From Barnet's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 237
Default

I bought the SE2200A too. It is a stonking mic for the money, but I used to have an AKG solidtube and even though I ain't no pro, I can hear the difference on vocals and acoustic guitar. I'll keep the SE mic, but I will be getting another solidtube as soon as the piggy bank is good for it.

I run it through a mackie 8 bus & a TLA 5021 compressor. Maybe another preamp or something might do the trick, but this setup with my old solidtube just sounded great on everything.
Bloke From Barnet is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 2nd December 2008 , 10:03 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 326
Default

Oh lord in heaven, the TLM-103...where do I start? Is there a "vomiting" emoticon, or a monkey urinating on somethin' emoticon...? No? Then I'll just use this one a bunch of times:



Man that mic sucks. Bad. Anything SE makes would beat it; an AT-2020 would beat it. A couple of tin cans and some string would beat it.

Frank
______________________________
Frank Oesterheld
GIK Acoustics
GIK Bradford Now Open!
www.gikacoustics.com
(+44) 020 7558 8976 (UK)
FrankGIK is offline Offline
Last edited by FrankGIK; 2nd December 2008 at 10:03 PM. . Reason: Quick mistake <
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 2nd December 2008 , 11:22 PM
Sound Guru
 
whitecat's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Surrey / London
Posts: 2,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankGIK View Post
Oh lord in heaven, the TLM-103...where do I start? Is there a "vomiting" emoticon, or a monkey urinating on somethin' emoticon...? No? Then I'll just use this one a bunch of times:



Man that mic sucks. Bad. Anything SE makes would beat it; an AT-2020 would beat it. A couple of tin cans and some string would beat it.
We are still brothers.
whitecat is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 2nd December 2008 , 11:25 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
We are still brothers.
Good to know. In that case, if I end up in London at any point this year, you can come have a pint with Trev and I. I'll bring my vintage U-87.

Frank
______________________________
Frank Oesterheld
GIK Acoustics
GIK Bradford Now Open!
www.gikacoustics.com
(+44) 020 7558 8976 (UK)
FrankGIK is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 2nd December 2008 , 11:39 PM
Sound Guru
 
whitecat's Avatar
          
           
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Surrey / London
Posts: 2,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankGIK View Post
Good to know. In that case, if I end up in London at any point this year, you can come have a pint with Trev and I. I'll bring my vintage U-87.


As there are only 29 days left in this year, I won't count on it, however, the first round is definitely on me if it's before, say, 2010.

Anyway, what I meant to say was, I hate the TLM103 more than I hate vegemite.
whitecat is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 2nd December 2008 , 11:53 PM
Round The Horn
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Morden, Surrey
Posts: 1,135
Default

I have not used a U-87 or a TLM103 but from what I've read on SOS it seems the TLM103 was designed as a cut-down U-87. So I presume it is natural to dislike the TLM103 if you own a U-87 but it surprises me to read any comment referring to the TLM103 being total garbage?

Quote:
A lot of smaller professional and home studios would love to have a mic cupboard full of Neumanns -- but quality always costs, and for many, mics like the U87 are outside their available budgets. The TLM103 has been designed to address this problem by providing what is, in effect, a cut-down U87, but at a much more attractive price -- about a third that of the U87, in fact.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun9...s/neumann.html
saxman is offline Offline
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
User Reviews: Mixers, mics, outboard, monitors, and headphones. Monarch User Reviews 62 29th September 2010 03:33 PM
Radio Mics Ben I'm Looking For... 1 27th August 2009 07:52 AM
User Reviews:PA speakers, mics, monitors, power amps, mixers... Monarch User Reviews 0 20th September 2008 09:24 PM
Help - I needs to buy mics for a drumkit RedDavid Recording & Mixing 2 17th September 2008 02:09 PM
Naiant mics davewz Pro Audio 1 24th July 2008 12:34 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.0
1999-2017 DV247 Ltd. All rights reserved.