DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Old 3rd July 2008 , 12:25 PM

Default Which monitors?

I'm looking at getting some decent monitors. Nothing too expensive at the moment (as I simply can't afford it, hahah!)
A friend has offered me some Rokit KRK's for 100. These are the first gen ones, so not too sure if they're up to current standard.
Other than that I am looking at Genelecs, though they are a bit expensive for me to get some decent size ones.

Tannoy Reveal are my favourite choice atm, but i'd rather get some opinions.
Tannoy Reveal 6D 2-Way Nearfield Active Monitor at DV247.COM

I mostly write using software, writing mostly trance/electro type stuff, so decent bass response is crucial, of course.
Old 3rd July 2008 , 12:33 PM
Hell-Rider

Well depends on your budget but i have to say out of all the monitors ive listened to in the past few years the Yamaha HS80s have been the best bang for the buck IMO, i do like the MSP10s and MSP7s too but theyre much higher priced, the KRKs ive heard (V8s and Rockits, the ones that are like 6 inch drivers) are nice but i think the Yamahas have the edge on them.

If money were no object tho id have to say the P33As by ADAM
JAYDMF is offline Offline
Old 4th July 2008 , 01:48 PM

I was recommended the Rokit 8s when I went into DV247 to buy some small Genlecs. The guy in the shop set them up and I listened to them both, and went with what he said the Rokits. I've been very pleased with them and glad he suggested them, as the Genlecs for the price would have been too small.
Rod Staples is offline Offline
Old 4th July 2008 , 05:41 PM

I auditioned Genelecs and Adams and went with the Adam A7. Very good value for money.
emitime is offline Offline
Old 4th July 2008 , 05:49 PM

Default ESI 05 or 08 nEar experience

I recently purchased a pair of ESI nEar 05's. They are absolutely fantastic. I have Pianoteq soft synth and play that through them. Results are terrific! I also have Ableton Live Lite 7. Results ditto! I'd recommend them to anyone. Check out the blurb.
sigasa is offline Offline
Old 18th July 2008 , 10:40 AM
Sound Guru

The little Genelecs (8020A) have a terrifyingly surprising amount of bass for such a small monitor.

That said, I love my Tannoys as well (they're a much older model, System 600As that I bought as NOS for a ridiculously low clearance price when they were discontinued) but great speakers, the dual-concentric design means the 'sweet spot' is much wider. If they ever blew up I'd probably start by looking at Tannoy Precisions, and comparing those to some of the higher-end makes.
whitecat is offline Offline
Old 20th July 2008 , 03:13 PM
Rave Digga

if i had the money id buy the m-audio monitors on offer at dv247.

the price there selling the m-audio BX8A,s for is unbelievable..most stores sell these for double the price dv are selling them for and the reviews for these have been excellent.

also with them having a 8 inch cone you will be able to hear much more frequencys much more clearer than standard 5 inch monitors.
some 5 inch monitors hide bass range frequencys or exadjerate top range frequencys but 8 inch cones balance out frequencys better.

heres a link for them..M-Audio BX8A Bi-Amplified Studio Reference Monitor at DV247.COM
waxxy is offline Offline
Old 23rd July 2008 , 08:43 PM

i would def check out the Genelecs. Since i bought mine my mixes sound way way better.As with all monitors it will take u some time to get used to them. my advice is go to DV and listen to lots b4 u choose

[url]www.myspace.com/blackwhitefuture[/url]
mtec21@hotmail.com is offline Offline
Old 24th July 2008 , 06:50 PM

Waxxy's damn right about the M-Audio BX8A's.

My monitors just died on me (well, one of them) and I needed a CHEAP replacement pronto.

The BX8A's offer came at exactly the right time.

Had them set up for two days now, and pretty sweet i'd say, did a first mix referencing between the BX8A's and my AKG K240DF headphones and just tested in my car this evening. Very happy with the results.

If i was to nitpick i overcooked the (very) bottom end but really I need a sub to be able to monitor that accurately.

At the price DV are offering these monitors just now it is an ABSOLUTE GIVEAWAY. You cannot get better for that price.
Scott Maple is offline Offline
Old 25th July 2008 , 07:31 AM

Default M-Audio BX8A

I have a set of Behringer 2031A Truth's and M-Audio BX8A's - While I still love the Truth's as they are adjustable and powerful not to mention that they were my first, the M-Audio's are so simple yet so clean sounding. The top end is really crisp, plenty of bottom end, and although I'd say vocals are not as forward as I'd like, they simply cannot be beat for the 230 I paid from dv247. Now that they've updated it with a "variety of enhancements" in the deluxe version, you reap the rewards of dv247 turning over sitting stock by getting 'em for a ridiculous 170. Good enough for Brian Transeau, there's always the 5" brother at 20 less.
The next step up for there in my book would be the Event ASP6 at 569 or the Mackie HR624/824 at a helluvalot more.
Lotta players in the monitor field nowadays...
A.
BEatnik is offline Offline
Old 25th July 2008 , 07:33 AM

I use the KRK RP6s.
Generaly great monitors, but a little thin on the bass. Don't get me wrong, they've got a good range, but for whatever reason when I mix with them then check on a hifi I almost always find myself reducing the <120Hz in the final mix.

Perhaps it would work if you got the Rokits and bought a sub to go with them?

Dave
Dave196 is offline Offline
Old 25th July 2008 , 08:30 AM

I have heard great thing about the Tannoy Reveals...I did mean to try and listen to them before getting monitors but didn't get a chance. I ended up with Samson Rubicon 6a and love them dearly, If your stuck between options then try to listen to them both, preferably at the same time, that should help you make a good decision on whats best for you.
eLBe is offline Offline
Old 25th July 2008 , 02:19 PM

I have a set of the Reveal 8D Actives and have been delighted with them.

Before I bought the Reveals I had a pair of Alesis M1mkII actives and much prefer the Tannoys!

Whatever you choose you should if possible listen to them first as personal preference plays a big part in your decision.
I also recommend Acoustic Treatment for your listening room as this is as important as getting monitors!

There are several monitors out there that are capable of excellent results within your budget :-

Tannoy Reveal 6D
Samson Rubicons R6a
KRK RP8
Genelec 8020a
Fostex PM2
Yamaha HS80
ESI Near 8

All of these are capable of doing excellent mixes on so I'd check them out and pick your favorite.
dickiefunk is offline Offline
Old 26th July 2008 , 08:51 AM

Default Good Monitors !!

I listen a pair of Dynaudio Bm15p ...And what I can say is that you don't need other monitors if u got this ones ! I already order a pair ...!!

For mixing a very good brand is GENELEC ...Is not inspiring me so much for doing music ..but for mixing are perfect !!

Adam A7 got a very good sound but without SUB ..it will be imposible to control the bass at a right frequency ! But they are stil great !!!

Yamaha HS80 M ..they are very beautifull but so bad at mixing mastering and....everythyng ...My oppinion is that got a wide sound ...and . ...to much BASS Frequency !!! If u think to buy them ...they are good to choose good sounds...but ...is up to u !!

THINK TWICE WHEN YOU BUY MONITORS !!!! BECAUSE THEY ARE MAKING 50% OF YOUR MIX / MASTER AND ANOTHER 50 Your EAR !! So if you need a good demo ... make it good from the begining !!

With respect , Madalin Neacsu !!
MadysWorld is offline Offline
Old 20th April 2012 , 09:48 AM

Default proaudio

Pro audio broadcast equipment including microphones, mixers, amplifiers, speakers and more
[url=http://www.leatherstock.co.uk/category/winter-coats-for-women.html]womens winter coats[/url]//
billgates is offline Offline