DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Pro Audio
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Pro Audio Mixers, mics, outboard, monitors, headphones

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd September 2008 , 05:51 PM

Default Advice on monitor choice please

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice with choosing my new monitors. I have a budget of about 500 and am considering either a budget pair or something slightly more expensive.. Here are the main ones I've been researching:

KRK RP6 G2
Event ALP5
Mackie MR5
Yamaha HS80M
KRK RP8 G2
Mackie HR624

Can anyone recommend any of these over the others by a clear margin? Will the HR624's win hands down in comparison? I love the HR828 but they're too pricey and I can't listen to any of the others so I need to be sure I'm making the right choice.

Does anyone know of anywhere that lends monitors out to listen before you buy?? Any advice etc much appreciated!

I must say I'm leaning towards the yamaha's at the moment, due to good reviews and reasonable price. Does anyone have them and recommend them?? I'm mainly composing film scores, orchestral and choir stuff but also pop and electronic, so a nice tight bass end is preferable. I'm also only in a small studio and eq adjustments might be useful!
aNewFoundGlory is offline Offline
Old 24th September 2008 , 06:04 PM
Sound Guru

Out of that list I'd probably only consider the Yamahas.

I think Tannoy Precisions are well worth looking at too in your budget. There's a variety available, some with DACs, some without, depending on what you need.

Monitors can be a really personal thing though, you really need to hear them somewhere if possible!
whitecat is offline Offline
Old 24th September 2008 , 07:46 PM

Thanks for the advice, I actually ordered the yamaha's earlier today after Reading so many positive things about them and considering I can't really afford anything in the next price category (Dynaudio bm5a, mackie hr624 etc are over 600 and I didn't want to spend more than 400) so fingers crossed I've made the right choice - I'll find out for sure when I try them out over the next few days!
Old 24th September 2008 , 08:06 PM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
actually ordered the yamaha's earlier today after Reading so many positive things about them
Just out of interest... were these user reviews you were reading or magazine articles?
Old 25th September 2008 , 06:50 AM

Both actually, I think I read 3 out of 3 positive magazine reviews and about 50 user reviews which all commented on the hs80m's in a good way! I'm guessing you're not too fond of them yourself? I'm hoping I'll be happy with them, i'll find out later! I had a pair of passive absolute 2 monitors previously, so I'm sure these will be a step in the right direction. If not, I'll send them back and save up for a pair of Dynaudio's or Mackies