DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Music Equipment Discussion > Pro Audio
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Pro Audio Mixers, mics, outboard, monitors, headphones

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st September 2008 , 10:55 PM

Default Wicks HD Insulation

What's peoples thoughts on the Wicks HD insulation? Have you used it Trev, in the past? I'm looking to build some panels soon. 1200x600 100mm 140kg. Is the thickness/density a bit much for a fairly small room? I found a company who can supply/deliver these slabs of acoustic insulation: soundproofing materials price list

The prices don't include vat, and delivery would be 25 for 2 packs (of 2)

Anybody bought products/materials from this company?

Ta.
Alarmist is offline Offline
Old 22nd September 2008 , 05:52 AM
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYDMF View Post
Cheers dude much appretiated, i shall email some pics when i find the camera. yeah my main concern is the sloping ceiling in this room. Like i said before i dont wanna go OTT because as soon as i can i'll be moving out of here again but as i dont know how long that'll take itd be nice to get some sort of balance going on in here
This is my problem too. I'm based in the corner of the living room which I can't alter too much with panels etc. And the idea is to move at some stage. But with the property market as it is, who know how long it will take.

I'm interested to see what you do in your place, Jay, knowing that it is more short term than long. Will you keep us posted?
sphelan is offline Offline
Old 22nd September 2008 , 06:20 AM
Mic Check 1!

yes i've used the Wickes stuff. It works very well. You really can't overdo bass trapping. It looks like the 60kg stuff (which I belive is what the wickes stuff is) is roughly the same price as your supplier once you take vat into account)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarmist View Post
What's peoples thoughts on the Wicks HD insulation? Have you used it Trev, in the past? I'm looking to build some panels soon. 1200x600 100mm 140kg. Is the thickness/density a bit much for a fairly small room? I found a company who can supply/deliver these slabs of acoustic insulation: soundproofing materials price list

The prices don't include vat, and delivery would be 25 for 2 packs (of 2)

Anybody bought products/materials from this company?

Ta.
Old 22nd September 2008 , 02:01 PM

140Kg is pretty heavy, but like Trev said, it'll work well. 4" panels at that weight ought to make good bass traps.

Frank
www.gikacoustics.com
(+44) 020 7558 8976 (UK)
FrankGIK is offline Offline
Old 22nd September 2008 , 02:57 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

I'm, thinking of adding more bass trapping to my room, but it's already a little crowded with "stuff". I have a corner bookcase... an Ikea one, that has a void all the way down the back of it (about 6 ft tall and the cross section of the triangular void is about 10"x10"x14". Would it provide any amount of bass trapping if I filled the void with rock-wool or would it be a complete waste and best left empty? The back of the bookcase is 1/8th" hardboard with no holes.
Old 22nd September 2008 , 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boulden View Post
I'm, thinking of adding more bass trapping to my room, but it's already a little crowded with "stuff". I have a corner bookcase... an Ikea one, that has a void all the way down the back of it (about 6 ft tall and the cross section of the triangular void is about 10"x10"x14". Would it provide any amount of bass trapping if I filled the void with rock-wool or would it be a complete waste and best left empty? The back of the bookcase is 1/8th" hardboard with no holes.
The hard back is the problem. If it were open in the back it would function just like a regular bass trap. If it's triangular and has a hard back, then that's fine...just fill the front with 4" or 6" of appropriate insulation.

Frank
www.gikacoustics.com
(+44) 020 7558 8976 (UK)
Old 22nd September 2008 , 03:38 PM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Thanks Frank
Old 22nd September 2008 , 05:45 PM

i heard from a guy i know who owns a studio, he told me a cheap way of making the corner bass trap wedges is to buy a few large pads of foam, glue or bond them together to make a cube, then cut it diagonally in half to form a wedge then to heat up some sort of cornered object and simply push into the face of the foam in order to make large 'V' shape imprints and deflect the sound.

whether thats true or not i dont know.

hope its helpful.
Pyre is offline Offline
Old 22nd September 2008 , 07:02 PM
Mic Check 1!

It's not true. Foam does not do anything significant with bass waves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyre View Post
i heard from a guy i know who owns a studio, he told me a cheap way of making the corner bass trap wedges is to buy a few large pads of foam, glue or bond them together to make a cube, then cut it diagonally in half to form a wedge then to heat up some sort of cornered object and simply push into the face of the foam in order to make large 'V' shape imprints and deflect the sound.

hope its helpful.
Old 22nd September 2008 , 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyre View Post

hope its helpful.
Yeah, sorry but it's not the least bit true. Good open-cell foam has it's uses, no doubt about that, but not just any foam will do. Polyurethane and other closed-cell foams will actually make the room sound worse and not better. Plus, as Trev already stated, foam will do nothing for the low end. The test data that's out there for the foam "bass traps" is based on invalid testing procedure, thus the data is invalid. We don't really know what it does.

Frank
www.gikacoustics.com
(+44) 020 7558 8976 (UK)
Old 2nd October 2008 , 06:29 PM

Default Bass Trap Construction

a) Cheers for the advice early people.

b) The Mineral Wool Slabs got delivered today, fabric and wood was purchased.

I went for the 60kg3 in the end. Thought about quantity of lesser dense traps, over few very dense traps. (Budget reasons!)

Two of the larger traps have been constructed. Using the rear frame design, giving the air gap behind. (It also hides my bad carpentry!)

I've currently propped them up in the places they will end up in my [bedroom] studio. With just the two I can already hear the difference. Low end frequencies are sounding a little more defined. Pics should be attached showing the traps where the are at the moment.

Further ones will go behind my monitoring position (behind the book/vinyl/tat shelf) in front of, and above my monitoring position , and on other walls.

I've also included a shot of the speaker/monitor stands I've had for years - home made thick tubular steel on spiked bases. These I'm sure help lots too.

Here's to a happier low end!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Room Shot2.JPG (37.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Room Shot 1.jpg (31.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Room Shot 3.jpg (41.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 2nd October 2008 , 08:01 PM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarmist View Post
a) Cheers for the advice early people.

b) The Mineral Wool Slabs got delivered today, fabric and wood was purchased.

I went for the 60kg3 in the end. Thought about quantity of lesser dense traps, over few very dense traps. (Budget reasons!)

Two of the larger traps have been constructed. Using the rear frame design, giving the air gap behind. (It also hides my bad carpentry!)

I've currently propped them up in the places they will end up in my [bedroom] studio. With just the two I can already hear the difference. Low end frequencies are sounding a little more defined. Pics should be attached showing the traps where the are at the moment.

Further ones will go behind my monitoring position (behind the book/vinyl/tat shelf) in front of, and above my monitoring position , and on other walls.

I've also included a shot of the speaker/monitor stands I've had for years - home made thick tubular steel on spiked bases. These I'm sure help lots too.

Here's to a happier low end!
Awesome work! That'll be the best money you've spent on your studio to date. I love it when a plan comes together!
Old 2nd October 2008 , 08:01 PM
Mic Check 1!

[rushes off to buy shares in Wickes]
Old 2nd October 2008 , 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
[rushes off to buy shares in Wickes]
Actually Trev, I ordered the Mineral Wool from Custom Audio Designs. (The wood came from Wickes though!) Worked out at 12.60 a slab. Hopefully an ok deal. That takes into account delivery too.

I have enough for eight 1200x600 100mm traps. Although I'll be making some smaller 600x600 ones.

Cheers.
Old 4th October 2008 , 01:57 PM
Hell-Rider

Late reply but yeah i shall post some pics when its done, got some stuff on "order" (great having an old man whos a builder), im terrible with wood work so im gonna get my uncle to help me knock up the traps when i have enough materials to do so, gonna also get some foam for the mirroring positions.

Theres a pic here (not the best but hey) of my room and the green Xs (only one cuz you cant see the other corner is where im planning bass traps, red Xs are for foam to stop mirroring effects. Frank or Trev, you reckon this is the best bet?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Studio edit.JPG (36.3 KB, 29 views)
JAYDMF is offline Offline