DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > News > Pro Audio Product News/Updates
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Pro Audio Product News/Updates Breaking news on pro-audio products and manufacturer updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th October 2010 , 11:46 AM
Sound Guru

Default Fender Roger Waters Signature P-Bass

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/fender-...-guitar--79575

Wow. This went under the radar a bit. Anyone know the country of manufacture?

Spec-wise this looks a lot like it could do for the P-bass market what the Geddy Lee sig bass did for the J-bass. Very affordable and looks great on paper, at least!

Wouldn't put RW at the top of my greatest or most influential bassists of all time list, but nonetheless, love the looks, and I'm interested to hear it!
Old 17th October 2010 , 12:17 PM
Sound Guru

A few more notes about this that I've worked out through some research...

1) Made in Mexico
2) Not an identical replica of RW's own bass, but it looks pretty close. Last anyone could tell his stage bass had a chrome-coloured bridge and a Custom Shop logo on the back of the headstock, but other than that it looks similar. No one is quite sure what pickups he uses in real-life. He used to have a 3-ply pickguard as well but that appears to have been altered recently.
3) Spec-wise, other than the pups, it's similar to the Classic 50's P-bass out of Fender Mexico. The neck shape appears to be the same (fat!!) but the radius is also different (the RW bass has a 9.5" vs a 7.25" on the Classic 50's).

(Oddly enough, I prefer rounder fretboards on bass guitars - and flatter ones on regular electrics - but 9.5" is almost always an OK compromise on any axe).

Interestingly, there doesn't appear to be any 'Roger Waters' branding on the bass itself (in the form of a signature decal, or an engraving on the backplate, or whatever!)

Anyway, replica or not, it still looks like a pretty good value in a mid-range P-bass. The pup upgrade alone might be worth the price difference over the 50's (but, as a user of the Classic 50's I can tell you that it's a very nice bass indeed for the money).