DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > News > Pro Audio Product News/Updates
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Pro Audio Product News/Updates Breaking news on pro-audio products and manufacturer updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd September 2009 , 02:20 PM
Sound Guru

Default Digidesign Eleven Rack...

This will be made official tomorrow, no doubt, but here's the preliminary info - no pics yet, sadly.

Features:

- Unique True-Z auto-impedance matching guitar input
- Incredible emulations of classic guitar amp tones inspired by Fender, Vox, Marshall, Soldano, and Mesa Boogie amps*
- Refined collection of sought-after classic stompbox tones inspired by effects from Fender, Electro-Harmonix, Ibanez, ProCo, Univox, and more*
- Powerful collection of studio-quality rackmount effects processors
- Convolution-based cabinet emulations deliver unprecedented realism in cabinet tones
- Convolution-based microphone emulations inspired by classic dynamic, condenser, and ribbon mic designs
- Integrated FX loop switchable to incorporate existing mono or stereo rack and stompbox effects
- Two dedicated 1/4" outputs designed to connect with amplifiers
- Powerful foot control options using affordable MIDI controllers and expression pedals
- Flexible I/O routing and functionality enables unit to be used in conjunction with nearly any existing rig setup
- Easily incorporate the exact same tones you develop in your studio recordings in a live setting
- Built-in tuner
- Tap-tempo control of time-based effects

* Eleven Rack is not connected with, or approved or endorsed by, the owners of Electro-Harmonix, Fender, Ibanez, Marshall, Mesa/Boogie, ProCo, Soldano, Univox, and Vox names. These names are used solely to identify the guitar amplifiers and effects emulated by Eleven Rack.

Includes Pro Tools LE Music Software

- Award-winning Pro Tools LE 8 recording, editing, and mixing software, now optimized for guitar players
- Powerful Eleven Rack control window for creating/editing Eleven Rack rig settings right from Pro Tools software
- Records both dry and processed signals simultaneously, with recallable rig settings embedded into audio files
- Includes over 70 professional effects, including reverb, delay, chorus, distortion, flanger, phaser, reverse, EQ, and compression
- Powerful virtual instruments for creating backing tracks, including a drum machine, tone wheel organ, piano, synthesizer, and synth/sample workstation

Eleven Rack Hardware

-High-speed USB 2.0 connection
- DSP-accelerated audio interface so you won't have to worry about latency when recording
- Supports up to 8 simultaneous channels of high-resolution recording up to 24-bit/96 kHz
- Stereo balanced XLR outputs and dedicated 1/4" outputs designed to connect with amplifiers
- XLR mic input with 48V phantom power
- Two 1/4" line-level inputs for keyboards, drum machines, etc.
- AES/EBU and S/PDIF stereo digital I/O
- Stereo 1/4" headphone jack
- 1 x 1 MIDI I/O

Product Details

Digidesign Eleven Rack Guitar Multi Effects Processor

Digidesign's Eleven Rack is a revolutionary guitar recording system designed to solve the challenges guitarists face in the studio. Eleven Rack uses a unique tone cloning design and one-of-a-kind, custom-designed True-Z input to re-create the experience of playing through a mic'd amp. By combining studio-standard Pro Tools software with a DSP-accelerated high-resolution interface, Eleven Rack puts professional recording into the hands of every guitar player. Whether you're tracking in the studio or playing on stage, this rackmountable multi-effects processor delivers fresh, mind-blowing, hyper-realistic guitar amp and effects tones that will inspire your best performances.

Digidesign Eleven Rack in the Studio

Eleven Rack combines studio-standard Pro Tools software with a high-resolution, dual DSP-powered audio interface, so you'll never have to worry about latency when recording, thanks to its built-in amp/effects tones, nor will your computer have to carry the processing burden. Additionally, Eleven Rack takes re-amping to the next level by recording both dry and processed guitar signals simultaneously, allowing you to re-amplify later without patching a single cable. Digidesign even found a way to embed the Eleven Rack amp and effects settings into the audio tracks you record, enabling you to automatically recall those settings from your audio files on any Pro Tools system with the Eleven Rack.

Digidesign Eleven Rack On Stage

Eleven Rack also rocks onstage as a standalone amp tone and effects signal processor. Digidesign pulled out all the stops to make sure it sounds and feels just like playing through the real deal. The guitar effects processor comes with a classic collection of guitar effects, from must-have stompboxes to world-class rackmount studio processors. Eleven Rack has all the I/O flexibility you need to integrate it into your existing rig, and easily incorporate the tones you've recorded with into your live setup—closing the gap between studio and stage. Eleven Rack rackmount processor also offers incredibly powerful control options using affordable MIDI controllers and expression pedals, giving you full foot control over everything from vintage wah effects to tempo-driven delays and more.

Unit size, boxed
16.3" x 23.5" x 8.7"
Unit size, unboxed
11.0" x 19.0 in x 3.5"
Unit weight, boxed
17.3 lb.
Unit Weight, unboxed
12.1 lb.

---

Ironically, with AES I/O this makes it one of the most appealing LE interfaces on the market, to me anyway. Wonder what the price will be!
Old 22nd September 2009 , 03:21 PM
Pushing the Envelope

Jesus... there's always something just around the corner!
mutilatedlip is offline Offline
Old 24th September 2009 , 09:19 AM
Jeremy Lumsden

It's now [URL="http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/digidesign-eleven-rack--68365"]official[/URL]
Old 24th September 2009 , 09:21 AM
Sound Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Lumsden View Post
It's now official
Can't wait to hear the UK price. It's $899 pre-tax in the US, so we'll see how we do. I'm actually semi-interested in this box... subject to hearing it of course.

I'm hoping that because it's DSP-accelerated it will sound better than software.
Old 24th September 2009 , 10:55 AM
Administrator

More here chaps..

http://blog.dv247.com/digidesign-ele...eel-real/3398/
Old 24th September 2009 , 11:53 AM
Jeremy Lumsden

Digidesign Eleven stock should be with DV in the next 1-2 weeks.

We're also going to launch the product in the UK with a series of events across the eight DV guitar stores. Our thinking here is that although the product looks great on paper and the price is good (UK pricing now confirmed - see main site), the big question is - how does it sound?

As soon as we have Digidesign Eleven Rack Tour dates confirmed with Avid, we'll post them.
Old 24th September 2009 , 12:08 PM
Pushing the Envelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Lumsden View Post
Digidesign Eleven stock should be with DV in the next 1-2 weeks.

We're also going to launch the product in the UK with a series of events across the eight DV guitar stores. Our thinking here is that although the product looks great on paper and the price is good (UK pricing now confirmed - see main site), the big question is - how does it sound?

As soon as we have Digidesign Eleven Rack Tour dates confirmed with Avid, we'll post them.
Any ideas about the price? If it's not sub £500, then please refuse to stock it
mutilatedlip is offline Offline
Old 24th September 2009 , 12:16 PM
Sound Guru

Sorry guys, but £787 is a joke. It's $899 in the US - even with sales taxes in America that puts it several hundred more expensive here which cannot be accounted for with exchange rate differences (Sterling is doing better against the US$ than it was!)

I'm sick of these companies ripping off UK customers (not holding you responsible, DV, I know you're only working with what you're given!) The Shure SM7b is another example of completely-out-to-lunch UK pricing.

I expected this to be about £100 less than it is. At the current price, I'm not even interested in hearing it, tbh.

edit: just a followup thought concerning price - since Avid puts so much value on the inclusion of Pro Tools LE, maybe they need to sell a version that doesn't have it included and price it accordingly. Not everyone will need it and many potential customers will already have it. Just some friendly feedback to pass on to your Avid sales reps!
Last edited by whitecat; 24th September 2009 at 12:23 PM. . <
Old 2nd October 2009 , 09:44 AM
Forum Poet

Follow up review here - not by me, of course.

What is it?
Guitar modeling, effects processor, recording interface and re-amping device.
What does it do? Amp, cabinet, mic and effects modeling for live performance and recording.
Who would use it?
Any guitarist desring great tone for live performance and recording.
How does it sound?
Very impressive. This is the closest thing to a real amp that I’ve ever heard.
What is so great about it?
Proper impedance selections allow for dynamic amplifier feel and response.
What is not so great about it?
If you can’t stand the color orange, this may not be for you.
Review summary?
Eleven Rack is a great product that packs a wallop of killer amp tones with a full-blown ProTools audio interface in an appealing package

Digidesign introduced their amp modeling plug-in “Eleven” a couple of years ago. It has been well received and used in many professional recordings. In fact all of the guitar parts on Motley Crue’s last album “Saints of Los Angeles” were recorded using the Eleven plug-in.
The problem with recording guitars with amp modeling plug-ins is not the sound quality, but the feel quality. Plugging a guitar in to a recording interface does not properly load the guitar pickups so the dynamic response is never the same as playing through a real amp. With the Eleven Rack, not only is the impedance value selectable, but it can also change automatically depending on which pedal or amp model is first in the presets signal chain. Each pedal and amp model has a different impedance value so each will have a different feel. These settings are made per preset. So different impedance levels can be stored for presets used with a strat as opposed to presets used with a Les Paul for example.

First I connected the Eleven Rack main outputs in to my M-Audio BX8A monitors and played through some presets. The presets all had very usable tones. They seemed like they were all created to give players access to classic sounds for studio and stage with no fuss. They sounded great! The Eleven Rack is the only modeling device I’ve ever used that sounds and feels like a real amp.
Next I plugged the unit in to my two 1x12 tube combo amps. I set the unit so that the signal sent to my amps contained only preamp and effects, no speaker or mic models. I sent these signals from the “Output to amp” outputs to the effect return jacks on my amps. The sound was amazing! Not only that, but the dynamic feel was dead on. I could really dig in with the pick and then back off and the sound reacted just as it should. The sounds were as good or better then I usually get plugging directly in to my amps. I may have to buy one of these!

Eleven Rack allows a dry, unprocessed track to be recorded at the same time the stereo processed track is recorded. This way the dry track can be altered later with plug-ins or by using the re-amping features if needed. Sometimes even the best recorded tracks just don’t fit in to the mix of a song. This feature allows the performance to remain, but the sound to be changed to better fit the track.
The re-amping features are very intelligently implemented. A track can be assigned to the Eleven Rack, processed and sent back to another track with nothing but a few mouse clicks! All of the signals are going back and forth over the USB cable. A track can also be assigned to the “Output to amp” jacks. Plug this signal into the front of an amp just as if it were a guitar. Mic the speaker cabinet and plug the mic signal into the mic input on the Eleven Rack. Then select the mic input from Eleven Rack on a new track. It doesn’t get any easier then this!

The Eleven Rack uses the same mic preamp and A/D-D/A converters as the newer 003 Rack Plus units. While the Eleven Rack is an audio interface for Pro Tools 8 LE, it cannot be used as an audio interface for Pro Tools HD. However the Eleven Rack signals can be sent to a Digidesign HD interface from the analog or digital outputs. If you keep the Eleven Rack connected to the computer via USB, the Eleven Rack special features with Pro Tools 8 will still be available. If other LE hardware, such as an M-Box2 or 003 is currently being used with a computer, that interface I/O will override the I/O on the Eleven Rack. Send the digital output of Eleven Rack in to the LE interface, but keep the Eleven Rack plugged in to the computer via USB and the Eleven Rack special features with Pro Tools 8 will still be available.

Pro Tools Special features: In the Windows menu of Pro Tools there is now an Eleven window. This allows the Eleven Rack’s parameters to be edited from the computer within Pro Tools rather then using the controls on the front panel of the unit. Very slick. Next, Pro Tools can embed the audio files with the Eleven Rack settings used to record the track. So if overdubs need to be done later on, the exact settings on Eleven Rack that were used to record the track can be recalled.

Just about every parameter of the Eleven Rack can be controlled via MIDI. This can be MIDI coming from a Pro Tools MIDI track via USB (or any other sequencer via the MIDI in jack) or from a MIDI pedal board. If a band plays to a click track from a sequencer, a MIDI track can be used to trigger all patch changes and real time controller changes automatically. Or any standard MIDI pedal can be used to change patches, turn effects on/off etc. Multiple parameters can be assigned to the same MIDI controller. For example, with an expression pedal the amp gain can be turned up, the reverb level can be lowered and the speed of the chorus effect can be raised all at the same time with one pedal move. There is also a pedal input on the back of the unit for connecting an expression pedal or momentary pedal.

Can you use it with other DAWs? Yes you can. Eleven Rack ships with Core Audio drivers, ASIO drivers and WaveDriver MME drivers. Only Pro Tools will offer the embedded preset information in the audio files and a Window to edit the parameters on the computer though.

Even if it was never plugged in to a computer, I think most guitar players would love using this unit for rehearsals and live performance. But the fact that it’s an effect processor, recording interface, a re-amping device and it comes with Pro Tools LE 8 makes it really hard to pass up.
Old 11th November 2009 , 12:12 PM
Jeremy Lumsden

[QUOTE=Jeremy Lumsden;40333]Digidesign Eleven stock should be with DV in the next 1-2 weeks.

As soon as we have Digidesign Eleven Rack Tour dates confirmed with Avid, we'll post them.[/QUOTE]

Just working with Avid on some dates. First in the diary is Saturday November 21st at East London. More dates should hopefully be announced later today. James Ivey from Digi will be on hand answering any questions e.g. how does Eleven Rack integrate with existing PT systems. We're also running a prize draw to win an Eleven Rack in-store.
Old 17th November 2009 , 08:39 AM
Jeremy Lumsden

[QUOTE=Jeremy Lumsden;42007]Just working with Avid on some dates. First in the diary is Saturday November 21st at East London. More dates should hopefully be announced later today. James Ivey from Digi will be on hand answering any questions e.g. how does Eleven Rack integrate with existing PT systems. We're also running a prize draw to win an Eleven Rack in-store.[/QUOTE]

Dates Confirmed:

This Friday - Acton 3pm-5pm
This Saturday - Retail Warehouse 12pm-4pm
Saturday 5th Dec - Barnet 12pm-4pm
Thursday 17th Dec - Clapham 3pm-7pm

See main website for more info
Old 28th November 2009 , 09:56 PM

one of the demo guys during a quiet (endulgent) 5 mins at Romford last Saturday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG_nBQtrIn8
maudioUK is offline Offline
Old 28th November 2009 , 10:21 PM
Mic Check 1!

Wow! Great review IABP! Does this mean you are an Alsihad convert???

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Am_Bic_Pentameter View Post
Follow up review here - not by me, of course.

What is it?
Guitar modeling, effects processor, recording interface and re-amping device.
What does it do? Amp, cabinet, mic and effects modeling for live performance and recording.
Who would use it?
Any guitarist desring great tone for live performance and recording.
How does it sound?
Very impressive. This is the closest thing to a real amp that I’ve ever heard.
What is so great about it?
Proper impedance selections allow for dynamic amplifier feel and response.
What is not so great about it?
If you can’t stand the color orange, this may not be for you.
Review summary?
Eleven Rack is a great product that packs a wallop of killer amp tones with a full-blown ProTools audio interface in an appealing package

Digidesign introduced their amp modeling plug-in “Eleven” a couple of years ago. It has been well received and used in many professional recordings. In fact all of the guitar parts on Motley Crue’s last album “Saints of Los Angeles” were recorded using the Eleven plug-in.
The problem with recording guitars with amp modeling plug-ins is not the sound quality, but the feel quality. Plugging a guitar in to a recording interface does not properly load the guitar pickups so the dynamic response is never the same as playing through a real amp. With the Eleven Rack, not only is the impedance value selectable, but it can also change automatically depending on which pedal or amp model is first in the presets signal chain. Each pedal and amp model has a different impedance value so each will have a different feel. These settings are made per preset. So different impedance levels can be stored for presets used with a strat as opposed to presets used with a Les Paul for example.

First I connected the Eleven Rack main outputs in to my M-Audio BX8A monitors and played through some presets. The presets all had very usable tones. They seemed like they were all created to give players access to classic sounds for studio and stage with no fuss. They sounded great! The Eleven Rack is the only modeling device I’ve ever used that sounds and feels like a real amp.
Next I plugged the unit in to my two 1x12 tube combo amps. I set the unit so that the signal sent to my amps contained only preamp and effects, no speaker or mic models. I sent these signals from the “Output to amp” outputs to the effect return jacks on my amps. The sound was amazing! Not only that, but the dynamic feel was dead on. I could really dig in with the pick and then back off and the sound reacted just as it should. The sounds were as good or better then I usually get plugging directly in to my amps. I may have to buy one of these!

Eleven Rack allows a dry, unprocessed track to be recorded at the same time the stereo processed track is recorded. This way the dry track can be altered later with plug-ins or by using the re-amping features if needed. Sometimes even the best recorded tracks just don’t fit in to the mix of a song. This feature allows the performance to remain, but the sound to be changed to better fit the track.
The re-amping features are very intelligently implemented. A track can be assigned to the Eleven Rack, processed and sent back to another track with nothing but a few mouse clicks! All of the signals are going back and forth over the USB cable. A track can also be assigned to the “Output to amp” jacks. Plug this signal into the front of an amp just as if it were a guitar. Mic the speaker cabinet and plug the mic signal into the mic input on the Eleven Rack. Then select the mic input from Eleven Rack on a new track. It doesn’t get any easier then this!

The Eleven Rack uses the same mic preamp and A/D-D/A converters as the newer 003 Rack Plus units. While the Eleven Rack is an audio interface for Pro Tools 8 LE, it cannot be used as an audio interface for Pro Tools HD. However the Eleven Rack signals can be sent to a Digidesign HD interface from the analog or digital outputs. If you keep the Eleven Rack connected to the computer via USB, the Eleven Rack special features with Pro Tools 8 will still be available. If other LE hardware, such as an M-Box2 or 003 is currently being used with a computer, that interface I/O will override the I/O on the Eleven Rack. Send the digital output of Eleven Rack in to the LE interface, but keep the Eleven Rack plugged in to the computer via USB and the Eleven Rack special features with Pro Tools 8 will still be available.

Pro Tools Special features: In the Windows menu of Pro Tools there is now an Eleven window. This allows the Eleven Rack’s parameters to be edited from the computer within Pro Tools rather then using the controls on the front panel of the unit. Very slick. Next, Pro Tools can embed the audio files with the Eleven Rack settings used to record the track. So if overdubs need to be done later on, the exact settings on Eleven Rack that were used to record the track can be recalled.

Just about every parameter of the Eleven Rack can be controlled via MIDI. This can be MIDI coming from a Pro Tools MIDI track via USB (or any other sequencer via the MIDI in jack) or from a MIDI pedal board. If a band plays to a click track from a sequencer, a MIDI track can be used to trigger all patch changes and real time controller changes automatically. Or any standard MIDI pedal can be used to change patches, turn effects on/off etc. Multiple parameters can be assigned to the same MIDI controller. For example, with an expression pedal the amp gain can be turned up, the reverb level can be lowered and the speed of the chorus effect can be raised all at the same time with one pedal move. There is also a pedal input on the back of the unit for connecting an expression pedal or momentary pedal.

Can you use it with other DAWs? Yes you can. Eleven Rack ships with Core Audio drivers, ASIO drivers and WaveDriver MME drivers. Only Pro Tools will offer the embedded preset information in the audio files and a Window to edit the parameters on the computer though.

Even if it was never plugged in to a computer, I think most guitar players would love using this unit for rehearsals and live performance. But the fact that it’s an effect processor, recording interface, a re-amping device and it comes with Pro Tools LE 8 makes it really hard to pass up.